Social Media Policy?

scolopax

I was wondering if your club (s) have a formal social media policy, and informal social media policy or none at all ?

ie if you were to post on here a a pic of a few geese with the name of marsh you shot them on would you be summoned before the club committee for a roasting ?

Yes you would mate.

It is Clearly written in Club rules.

Can't confirm but I've been led to believe one or two other Clubs are also adopting this Policy.

I was wondering if your club (s) have a formal social media policy, and informal social media policy or none at all ?

ie if you were to post on here a a pic of a few geese with the name of marsh you shot them on would you be summoned before the club committee for a roasting ?

My club has its own facebook group. I don't post dead animal pics on facebook, so doesn't affect me.

What I don't get is why people would want to do it anyhow apart from showing off.

Really !!!! So in your opinion people who have wrote Wildfowling Books Articles for BASC magazine or any other Shooting magazines are ALL Show Off's !!!!!

And if by genuine mistake/excitement someone names a place they are politely explained it's not the done thing.

Myself as I'm sure many others do enjoy reading/seeing others Success or failure from around the world and the odd picture of places some of us will never see.

It's a shame some see at such, as fowling has such a rich literary heritage. Some of the pieces on this section of the forum are worthy of a book.

What I don't get is why people would want to do it anyhow apart from showing off.

Really !!!! So in your opinion people who have wrote Wildfowling Books Articles for BASC magazine or any other Shooting magazines are ALL Show Off's !!!!!
And if by genuine mistake/excitement someone names a place they are politely explained it's not the done thing.
Myself as I'm sure many others do enjoy reading/seeing others Success or failure from around the world and the odd picture of places some of us will never see.

Wildfowling has a rich and traditional literature that has existed for well over 100 years that have given many people great enjoyment and indeed brought many newcomers into the sport. For myself the writings of BB and the book Tides Ending that enlightened the sport of wildfowling for me. However unfortunately we live in an age where wildfowling has enemies both within it and outside the sport that threatens its future . We not only have the problem of conservation bodies against s , but also other wildfowlers who want to take over the marshies others have built up. This nearly happened to me this season when a local club attempted to buy the shooting rights on my Broadland marsh. To hold onto the marsh cost my small syndicate many times the previous rent we had been paying , but no doubt the big city club who already hold thousands of acres of shooting will not care about that. A balance has to be reached between a good story without giving too much away, such as location. For this reason I never name my wildfowling sites , but just refer to them as in Broadland or on the Norfolk coast , though in the case of my Broadland marsh the city club had to only look over their boundary to see the thousands of pinks our management has attracted to a marsh that never saw one 20 years ago.

It amazes when wildfowlers not only name the marsh , but sometimes even the creek they shoot from. From a club point of view that is not on and its right that a club committee come down hard on anyone who gives out such information. To those who do write ups on here keep the yarns coming , but never give a hint of exactly where they are taking place.

I think Internet social media has probably prompted these "no publicty" Rules.

The two wildfowling clubs I belonged to , in the distant past, both produced "newsletters" during the season, one just listed by date order, names, dates, bags and location details.

The other had a monthly report on all shooting marshes separately , with who shot what and when.

These were not only available to members, but were pinned on the walls of Gunshops, etc.

The intention was not only to inform members, but also to help attract new ones.

I think Internet social media has probably prompted these "no publicty" Rules.

I totally agree.

Another growing trend I've Heard/Seen with a few Modern Fowlers is the use of Mobile phone apps to get them out onto the Marsh.

When i questioned a couple one morning about how they managed to reach a certain spot the reply was Easy just used my phone !!!!!

Both looked down mouthed when i remarked what happens when modern technology fails on a rising marsh covering Tide

Well the only thing I use my mobile phone for is to make and get calls, I have a PC for all the other stuff. Not that my mobile phone is very mobile, it stays at home on shooting days ( and most others ) as I hate its distraction when shooting. Mind you when I say my mobile . its the firms and it has to go back at the end of the month and cant see any real reason to buy my own when I have a perfectly good land line phone..

Edited by anser2

They are always handy in an emergency, particularly given your recent health Robert.

Well the only thing I use my mobile phone for is to make and get calls, I have a PC for all the other stuff. Not that my mobile phone is very mobile, it stays at home on shooting days ( and most others ) as I hate its distraction when shooting. Mide youwhen I say my mobile . its the firms and it has to go back at the end of the month and cant see any real reason to buy my own when I have a perfectly good land line phone..

They are always handy in an emergency, particularly given your recent health Robert.

I agree with the above statement Penelope , I had the use of the firms mobile till I finished work and wasn't that bothered in getting my own when I handed mine back in the office.

I did put a post on here a while ago when some lively cattle were trying to butt my dog in the dark and missed him but caught me at the back of my legs leaving me down the side of the dyke with a bruised leg and my gun resting in the edge of the reeds pointing towards me .

As it turned out no harm was done but it could have ended with a cow , my dog or me having a part of the body removed with a charge of 36gms of steel shot at very close quarters on a marsh that was more than a mile from the nearest road in the pitch dark , so from that day I always carry my phone that my wife bought me purely for emergency use only .

one of my clubs has a closed Facebook page and people can post on that. It is only for club members and as members leave, they are then removed from the page so that the info is kept 'in house'.

its the modern equivalent of a club noticeboard.

re mobile phones on the marsh, that club and another that i used to belong to, class it as essential for safety

This is the reason, I think, why many clubs have such a policy.

I pulled this data from one of the photos in the 'sporting photo's thread. Every camera writes a lot of 'meta data' into each photo. Camera phones write even much such as date/time/location/phone type

For the love of god people - turn off Location in your iPhones or GPS on Android phones.

83hemEq.png

Edited by iano

Wasn't referring to published books, sporting press write ups. I was referring to individuals writing about or posting pictures which give locations away at the current time.

Which is totally different to what you referred to as these are normally documented well after the actual event. No book was published the day after shooting.