what makes wildfowlers tick ?

Davyo

As topic title,ive done pigeon decoying;deer stalking, fox shooting,tried game shooting didnt like it.However wildfowling is the only thing i wished id tried before i surrendered my licences.The more i watch clips on youtube the more i admire the wildfowler.The ability to recognise quarry by flight pattern or sound.I think the only reason i never gave it a crack was i didnt have these skills.

I think all wildfowers have a twitcher inside itching to get out.What makes you lads/lasses tick?Is it the surroundings or the passion and respect you have for the wilfowl,what is it?

What makes a good wilfowler and how did you gain the knowledge that makes you stand out as a cut above the rest ? (my pesonal view)

You're going to get a lot of responses to this and whilst I find wildfowling difficult based on the evenings and early mornings, you'll rarely in shooting (in the main) find a better set of people.

Many wildfowlers I know consider shooting large (or even small) numbers secondary to their passion of being actually on the marsh. I have the utmost respect for them.

I got bitten by the Bug many many years ago when as a 11yr old my Father took me for my first foreshore flight then to meet Kenzie Thorpe.Reading Kenzie the Wild Goose Man over and over again.

For myself you don't get any wilder bird than migratory Wild Goose and that to wild surroundings Game On.

Give me a Good Moon lit night calling flighting Pink's or my personal favourite the Whitefront gun at the ready and dog bagging one or two is the Iceing on the Cake.

My family think I'm Mad the Wife more so.

I've been very very lucky to have shot all species of Game bird all species of Duck all species of Deer shot Goat's and Wild Boar but the lure of the

Forshore and Wild Geese tops the lot.

Even after 47 year's chasing Geese through out the UK and Scottish Islands come 8th i start getting restless waiting to see and hear the call of Wild Geese.

In spite of the many flights I've done and many Geese I've shot i can still remember/see my first Pink fold and where it fell where as most other Firsts i can not.

Even being hit by a Car having a broken a plaster from knee to foot on crutches never stopped me doing flights after Pink's.

So probably my family and wife are correct.

Being a successful Wildfowler I'm Mad in some sort of way

My old dad got me out on the marshes when I was 10years old,and I instantly got goose fever....and duck...there is nothing quite like it early morn or evening when most people are tucked up snug and warm and your out there listening to the marsh coming to life,I could go on and on but let others tell u why as well....there is nothing better than fowling in the shooting calendar!!

Hmmm....where to start? Freezing cold mornings, the anticipation of goose fever as I head out for the long walk, watching the odd teal flash by in the half light as I get settled into my spot, watching the sunrise at dawn, hearing the marsh wake up with the songbirds singing, thousands of wild pinks getting restless, smiling as I watch my dog's tail start wagging because of this, the noise as all those geese take to the air and if I'm lucky, one or two in the bag. Could anything top that? Not in my book....

PS: Jack Charlton sums it up pretty well, "When your out in these wild and beautiful surroundings, it doesn't seem to matter whether you get a goose or not, it's just being here is enough."

I come away from the marsh just as happy if I don't get a shot as when I do, just being there is enough for me. Watching the marsh and surroundings wake on a frosty morning, or braving the harsh elements of a late evening.

Watching my dog look to me for direction on a retrieve, seeing all the hard work and training pay off.

In my first 3 seasons as a wildfowler, I didn't even fire a shot, but still I was completely taken by it.

Having to learn about your quarry has always been of interest to me, identifying birds that a lot of people don't have a clue about("it's a duck").

The history of it too!

There are a few of the reasons that get me up at 3am when it's sideways rain and blowing a hooley.😀

anticipation of the alarm clock going off and not sleeping in and being out on the salt marsh on a nice crisp morning there is nothing like the salt marsh waking up followed by ducks followed by pinks forgot to mention the sun rise and all the different colours etc (living the dream) , and a full cooked English to finish even better if your kids come as mine have (life is good ) theres a lot more to shooting than pulling a trigger

Edited by Saltings

given the cold mornings, the knee deep mud, the cold water, frozen face and hands, the mud, the solitude, the kit getting constantly wrecked, the mud, the hassle with the wife because 'you're going again!', the race to get the best spot (carrying a plank of wood to stand on sometimes), the mud, the hailstones that get inside your collar and slowly melt and run down your back- and they melt slowly because you are rapidly reaching a similar temperature its obvious what makes us tick.

We are masochists.

A myriad of things! Try it! It's like marmite, you will either love it or hate it!

When I look out over the estuary as dawn breaks I can't help thinking I am viewing a landscape that has, except for natural changes made by the flux and reflux of the tide........not been changed by the hand of man.....since man populated the earth!

We do it because... Well we do it because we... Well we do it because we do it - I suppose.

I was first taken out sometime in the early 60's - In a thick fog. Couldn't see anything at all. But the sounds and the smell got to me big time. Been an ardent fowler ever since. Would give up all the other shooting that I do to keep fowling. Just gets in your blood. I am 77 but was still up at 03.30 this morning to be out on my first flight of this season. Can't get to the 'silly' places anymore but God I'm dreading the day that I have to chuck it in due age. It wont be a happy day and that's for sure.

Still, I was there this morning - Got a couple of shots too - Missed but that doesn't matter any more.

Just being there - that's what matters.

Never to late to give it a try.

Edit:

I forgot - Then there is the magical sound of the pinks... The most beautiful sound you will ever hear.

Edited by Grandalf

Both our schools in the village in the mid 50s were only around two hundred yds from the estuary and boat sheds that held most of the gun punts that were used for fowling , many a time I would be in the playground when one or two fowlers would come past with a few duck hanging from the handle bars and the gun strapped on the crossbar , sometimes in a sleeve but more often without and the kids would run to the railings and ask the bloke , how many did you get mister , who would normally answer back with a smile , only one or two , we might have been only 8 or 9 at the time and wernt that bright but we could see more than one or two swinging about , so even then they didn't give to much away :yes:

From that early age I knew one day I would have a gun on my bike and hopefully a few duck hanging from the handle bars and in 1960 I bought my first gun and a licence from the post office for 10/0d or 50p in todays money , at the time the estuary was free shooting and we never had any marshes to shoot on so the first birds we were chasing were mainly waders and after many days and nights with a empty bag the first Red Shank and Curlew started to lay in the bottom of my big post mans bag . by then I was well and truly drugged on wildfowling and it is only the last year or two I am started to be weaned off it by starting a bit later each year , having said that , last year I started early Oct and ended up going out after fowl around 100 times .

One of the above members said he went the first three seasons without firing a shot and I don't disbelieve him , ducks were always a chanallge and shooting a goose was like winning the lottery , today if anything duck are still hard to get and the geese are now slightly easier to get with the big numbers coming down our way and now having access to more marshes than we ever had in the past , note I said easier and not easy.

We heard a lot of members saying about the smells , sounds and sights of the early mornings and nights but we are there for a reason , and the reason is trying to outwit some of the wildest birds we have left in the British isles and the harsh conditions and the weather is just part of the package that comes with this fascinating sport .

Both our schools in the village in the mid 50s were only around two hundred yds from the estuary and boat sheds that held most of the gun punts that were used for fowling , many a time I would be in the playground when one or two fowlers would come past with a few duck hanging from the handle bars and the gun strapped on the crossbar , sometimes in a sleeve but more often without and the kids would run to the railings and ask the bloke , how many did you get mister , who would normally answer back with a smile , only one or two , we might have been only 8 or 9 at the time and wernt that bright but we could see more than one or two swinging about , so even then they didn't give to much away :yes:

From that early age I knew one day I would have a gun on my bike and hopefully a few duck hanging from the handle bars and in 1960 I bought my first gun and a licence from the post office for 10/0d or 50p in todays money , at the time the estuary was free shooting and we never had any marshes to shoot on so the first birds we were chasing were mainly waders and after many days and nights with a empty bag the first Red Shank and Curlew started to lay in the bottom of my big post mans bag . by then I was well and truly drugged on wildfowling and it is only the last year or two I am started to be weaned off it by starting a bit later each year , having said that , last year I started early Oct and ended up going out after fowl around 100 times .

One of the above members said he went the first three seasons without firing a shot and I don't disbelieve him , ducks were always a chanallge and shooting a goose was like winning the lottery , today if anything duck are still hard to get and the geese are now slightly easier to get with the big numbers coming down our way and now having access to more marshes than we ever had in the past , note I said easier and not easy.

We heard a lot of members saying about the smells , sounds and sights of the early mornings and nights but we are there for a reason , and the reason is trying to outwit some of the wildest birds we have left in the British isles and the harsh conditions and the weather is just part of the package that comes with this fascinating sport .

Enjoyed that :good:

Sounds,Smells,Salt Air,Tug of Mud on The Waders,Dogs Tail Going like Hell,Heart Thumping To get tucked in,Watching the First Streaks of pale Light,Turning Redder Every Second.

Waiting for the first shape in the Dark,or The first call to Quicken the Pulse..

Rush of wings over your Head..And all on top of not Being able to Sleep at All The Night Before..

Long Days of Freezing Cold,Sleet as big as Ping Pong Balls,Cold that Froze your Bones.

Long Miles of Driving There,and Seemingly endless Hours Going Back Home.

Steaming Dogs That Smell of Salt,But contented Snoring From The back of Car..

The Misted up Windows,Blower on Full Blast,Still not Warm For a Long time afterwards..

Getting Home and Sleeping the Sleep of a Dead man..

Did I Do All This Nah,,,,You make your Own Mind up...

There are many things that make a wildfowler tick and not all will apply to all fowlers , but here are a few of my quirks.

Planning days , sometimes weeks or months ahead of your next wildfowling day, checking the tide table, and as the day draws closer following the weather forecasts.

Variety. The game shooter only has a few quarry species he is likely to shoot. The wildfowler has 9 species of duck, 5 species of geese and a few waders to bring variety to the bag. Variety too in the guns and ammunition you use.

Watching the light spread across the sky in anticipation of the coming flight.

Seeing the marsh come to life as the dawn breaks, bunches of duck , half seen flying past while you wait for the geese, A wader perhaps curlew or redshank feeding in the creek at close range. And the distant murmur of geese out on the sea getting ready to flight.

A love and respect of the quarry we hunt. The subtle difference between our quarry and all other birds.

The excitement as you know that approaching skein of pinks is going to fly over you within range.

The jubilation of outwitting a wary quarry that is well able to take care of its self. That great moment when the distant duck set their wings and turn into your decoys.

The weather. Nobody looks forward to a days game shooting in bad weather , but to the wildfowler bad weather brings the promise of getting to terms with the birds. But is not just bad weather . The atmospheric magic of a perfect dawn with wraths of mist rising of the river , The nodding reed heads with their dew drops sparkling in the weak sunlight , the splash of a fish breaking the mirrored waters surface and the quacking of a bunch of mallard , out of sight in the mist and then the moment they jump. Or the excitement of a wild days tide flighting as you watch packs of duck , low hugging the wave tops.

The satisfaction of sitting back after a successful flight with a cup of coffee in hand and watching the life of the marsh pass you by.

Then there is the other end of the day watching it fade away until you that moment you can no longer see individual blades of grass at your feet , its flight time.

Dark shadows arrowing out of the darkness to flare away at your shots – sometimes to leave one or two of their number behind for the dog to find..

Having a dog who loves the sport as much as you and can be left to its own devices to find a shot bird away in the darkness. Followed by the glow as she delivers it to hand out of the darkness.

A few days later enjoying a roast duck Sunday lunch.

And as the final embers of the season dies there are plans to be made for the next. But before that day comes many wildfowlers become wildfowl watchers enjoying the sights as the birds gather for their return migration , keeping an eye out for the first ducklings of the year and watching them mature and then as the mallard start stubbling in late summer the old hunting instinct comes again to the fore and a new season is just around the corner.

If any of this stirs your heart then you have the makings of a real wildfowler.

Edited by anser2

The look of expectant excitement on my dog when I get my Wildfowling gear out for a flight,my wife laughs at him every time when his little face drops and he sulks thinking he is getting left home as I fill the car then bouncing around as I come in for him. Getting set up in what you hope is a good splash or pool. Listening to birds fly past you can't see but your dog can and the look he gives you of disappointment for not shooting and giving him a retrieve. Calling in birds from a distance being happy they turned calling them in to your gun only to stumble or miss the shot and not mind one bit. Hopefully another chance will present itself. Walking off the marsh happy as can be with only one bird that was well retrieved by your dog over various E bits of water. Thinking can't wait to be out again for the next flight you can make.

Davyo if my club weren't so small as to not allow guests I would have taken you out to see for yourself. Bit of luck a member with more leeway will offer you.

Even if you don't lift your gun it's still nice to be out on the marsh for the flight.

That's the 'foreword' right there.

There are many things that make a wildfowler tick and not all will apply to all fowlers , but here are a few of my quirks.

Planning days , sometimes weeks or months ahead of your next wildfowling day, checking the tide table, and as the day draws closer following the weather forecasts.

Variety. The game shooter only has a few quarry species he is likely to shoot. The wildfowler has 9 species of duck, 5 species of geese and one wader to bring variety to the bag. Variety too in the guns and ammunition you use.

Watching the light spread across the sky in anticipation of the coming flight.

Seeing the marsh come to life as the dawn breaks, bunches of duck , half seen flying past while you wait for the geese, A wader perhaps curlew or redshank feeding in the creek at close range. And the distant murmur of geese out on the sea getting ready to flight.

A love and respect of the quarry we hunt. The subtle difference between our quarry and all other birds.

The excitement as you know that approaching skein of pinks is going to fly over you within range.

The jubilation of outwitting a wary quarry that is well able to take care of its self. That great moment when the distant duck set their wings and turn into your decoys.

The weather. Nobody looks forward to a days game shooting in bad weather , but to the wildfowler bad weather brings the promise of getting to terms with the birds. But is not just bad weather . The atmospheric magic of a perfect dawn with wraths of mist rising of the river , The nodding reed heads with their dew drops sparkling in the weak sunlight , the splash of a fish breaking the mirrored waters surface and the quacking of a bunch of mallard , out of sight in the mist and then the moment they jump. Or the excitement of a wild days tide flighting as you watch packs of duck , low hugging the wave tops.

The satisfaction of sitting back after a successful flight with a cup of coffee in hand and watching the life of the marsh pass you by.

Then there is the other end of the day watching it fade away until you that moment you can no longer see individual blades of grass at your feet , its flight time.

Dark shadows arrowing out of the darkness to flare away at your shots – sometimes to leave one or two of their number behind for the dog to find..

Having a dog who loves the sport as much as you and can be left to its own devices to find a shot bird away in the darkness. Followed by the glow as she delivers it to hand out of the darkness.

A few days later enjoying a roast duck Sunday lunch.

And as the final embers of the season dies there are plans to be made for the next. But before that day comes many wildfowlers become wildfowl watchers enjoying the sights as the birds gather for their return migration , keeping an eye out for the first ducklings of the year and watching them mature and then as the mallard start stubbling in late summer the old hunting instinct comes again to the fore and a new season is just around the corner.

If any of this stirs your heart then you have the makings of a real wildfowler.

Getting Home and Sleeping the Sleep of a Dead man..

I like and agree with all the statements from everybody, but my favorite at the moment is this one, after having two 4am starts this week, day one we got a widgeon and a pink the second day we did'nt fire a shot but they were both great days.