Walked up Grouse

keg

Best to ask ur mate if he knows the score and goes regularly to the moor.

There not paticularly hard birds to kill (bone or feather wise) but that doesn't mean to say easy to hit.

Personally i like smaller shot and denser patterns, so i'd prob go with 6's (earlier on in season would mibee be 7 or 7.5's) depending on the moor and how often its been shot grouse could be getting jumpy now so getting up further away and also beginning to pack up.

Best advice would be to get ur push bike out or doing a few long steeper walks to try to increase ur fitness a bit (unless ur super fit anyway) often can be a hard day and even some fit folk struggle with the long heather or tussocky grass.

Also travel light, take a game bag with some juice/chocolate etc for a snack, also depending on weather but i prefer to layer up/down to suit so decent light waterproof+ light fleece etc rahter than a big heavy jacket normal shooting jacket.

As others have said ask your mate! But on most of the walked up days I've done the keepers carry the bag, I just have a small game bag carrying water and biscuits/chocolate, and maybe a light waterproof jacket in case it rains......good high boots and gaiters keep you dry, shirt and tie and breeks are de rigueur, if your on a limited bag day even if you can, don't shoot more than your share of birds as if you do you will probably not be asked back!

I use 28 gram, 7 shot fibre wad (don't want to litter the moor with plastic) good quality game cartridges early season and 30 gram, 6 shot, fibre wad for later in the season, I use a light, fast English SBS open bored gun for all my game shooting, and I can usually hold my own with it compared with the other guns!

Keep in line, follow the keepers instructions, be safe and watch what others do! You will soon pick it up!

Ask your mate what to tip the head keeper and make sure you thank the other keepers/dog handlers/workers.

Above all enjoy your day, in my opinion walked up grouse shooting is amongst the best most exiting shooting this country has to offer!

30g 6's through open through 1/4 chokes at this time of year. Enjoy, and if you could improve your fitness then try to before hand.... blowing out your backside within a couple of hundred yards is the best way to ruin a day on the hill.

+1 Hull high pheasant or imperial game would br a good choice.

Edited by 14Supersport04

30g 6's through open through 1/4 chokes at this time of year. Enjoy, and if you could improve your fitness then try to before hand.... blowing out your backside within a couple of hundred yards is the best way to ruin a day on the hill.

Thanks everyone, advice welcome.

I'm a bit heavy but can manage a 10-12 mile walk with the dog, a pair of well worn in pair of Harkila 12" boots. expected bag is 12-16 brace. So excited and what a top friend for taking me!

Yes it is addictive ! I went for a small day last year , I've been another small day this year a walked up day and a day after ptarmigan going after grouse again Thursday.

It's the next best thing to fowling!

The walked up day was quiet hard going in the waist high patches of heather that wanted to hang on to you.

I spent my allocated money I normally spend on partridge and pheasant on grouse and it is so much more fun being on the moor after wild birds.

You will love it!