pheasant damage

one of the farmers on the shoot is adamant that the pheasants are hitting the growing rape along side of the wood that we have our biggest pen in , we have in the past had trouble with ducks grazing the rape around the ponds that we release a good number of duck on and come to some financial agreement with the farmer, but never had trouble with the pheasants doing damage to the rape.its the first time this field has been put down to rape and it is visible the lack of growth along side of the wood / penside ,ive watched the birds at different times of day from first light to late afternoon and only seen them crossing the rape to grass fields daddy long legging and old rape stubble not yet worked in ,shoot captain is saying slug damage ,anyone else experienced this.

He has you over a barrel I am afraid, as in only going to be one winner......even if its slugs he will claim it is the pheasants, and slugs are not going to write him out a compensation cheque.

Redlegs can do a lot of damage to rape alongside a cover crop, not heard it so much from pheasants but no dount it happens, or at least the farmer thinks it might.

If it is slug damage then why just in that area. I have knowledge of another similar problem adjacent to a release pen. Young poults in particular will pluck at anything and once they get a taste ....

As said you should be able to tell by the damage on the leaves. If you do have to shell out then a good time to ask if you can have a strip of game cover there seeing your going to be paying for it :-)

Thiis is the best way deal with it after thinking on like problems on the farm.

Measure the area, as a % of acre, tell the farmer when he combines it do that bit seperate and you will pay the difference, on the ton/acre from the rest of the field.

Father did this once with neighbour over spray drift, the crop recovered no noticable difference. unless the rape is decimated it will recover to a reasonable yield.

We had this last time they grew rape next to our pen and yes I am afraid they do eat it, cost us a lot of money this year the poults have managed to damage a brand new car on one of the neighbours drive way scratched the paint work by perching on it during the day and covered it in ****.

SSSPPPPPPPLLLUUTTTTTTTTTER !!!!! ... darn it now you've made me splutter coffee all over my keyboard :unhappy: ........... :lol::lol:

Edited by Walker570

thanks for all the replies and suggestions the farm that has the field as only been growing rape for the last 2 years and we have a good relationship with him , suggestions on about leaf damage that's the point theres no leaf or stem even when ducks have grazed it hard in the past on the other farms you can still see some part of the plant , hopefully we can come to some agreement .