Anyone on here own a .17 Winchester Super Magnum?

jam1e

As above, i'm after a few opinions, from any members who own have shot the .17 WSM for a while, and can give a decent objective opinion of it as a round??

Rightly or wrongly i've bought one. A Savage Heavy Barrel B Mag. Granted, other than the top end long range version, i've not heard much said about Savage rifles, that was positive. I've done a little homework, and made sure i bought the model with the modified bolt. Not sure if i've got the tighter twist for the heavier bullets yet though...

And i know the stocks are flimsy on the forend, so i'll be replacing it.

Granted It's a little late to ask for some opinions, but none the less, i'd like to hear from owners who've been using them for a while, and hopefully get a few opinions. Even if it's just about how the round was like to use out in the field.

Cheers.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i know there are alot of doubters on this new calibre but it sounds like a interesting round to me. i use a savage hmr and think its great had it years. i am very tempted to get a wsm. it would be something in betweeen my hmr and 243. but i want to hear more reports from this side of the pond before i part with my cash

The way i look at it is that we have very well know issues with the HMR ammunition, for me I would look at getting that problem solved before they possibly start to go down the same road with this new do it all 17WSM Rimfire.

I see it as just another invention of the wheel only this one will be rounder than the first, and hey ! will probably go down hill faster too.

If the HMR didn't already exist then I could see the wsm being successful here. The performance for a rimfire is impressive and the price will be reasonable for that performance. It is a significant step up from a wmr and quite a bit cheaper than a centerfire. It is a lot of punch for something that you can't reload.

However, the U.K. market has limitations on both need and demand. Having to show 'need' for a specific gun limits the demand in aggregate. So you have limited demand split over an increasing number of cartridges. The high performance rimfire slot was taken by the hmr and trying to slot another one in a smaller performance slot is going to be a tough market to crack. I think it will sell well in the US providing that the guns it is available in are decent and ammo available. I think there will be a few in this country, but not many and ammo will be sparse and specialty. Reloading a hornet or dealing with a hmr will be what most people choose.

Thanks

Rick

Jamie - have you shot this now - what are your thoughts on this rifle/round?

Not as yet, still waiting for WMP to sort my variation. I've left a deposit on the rifle and 800 rounds of ammo.

I've had HMR, .22 Hornet, and .22 WMR. Just fancied taking a punt on something different. Can't be any worse than the 3 I've already mentioned.

I read various posts about shortages of this and that on the forums, but i think it's generally more a case of where you are in the UK, and what has been brought in by the RFD's. If nowt else, i'll have some fun with it! :)

Good for you fella. It may not work out to be the best choice but hey, you can always change it! Keep us updated.

I have a bit of a lack of trust in necked down rimfires. Back when I had my HMR a few of the cases would split or not fire properly. It seems that problem is only increasing with time. I sold it and bought a Hornet - best thing I ever did!

I did look at this new rimmy but decided against it. I'm having a .17 Rem built instead. That should do the trick! Once it's done I'll probably sell my .17 Hornet. Nothing wrong with it, I just get bored quickly! I'm already thinking about a .20 Vartarg and the Rem isn't even done yet! :rolleyes:

Now what they should have done is made this thing a .22 and put it in a semi auto. That would be a great fox gun!

Edit... "Can't be any worse than a .22 Hornet"! What's wrong with them? Probably the best of the bunch I reckon!

Edited by njc110381

Good for you fella. It may not work out to be the best choice but hey, you can always change it! Keep us updated.

I have a bit of a lack of trust in necked down rimfires. Back when I had my HMR a few of the cases would split or not fire properly. It seems that problem is only increasing with time. I sold it and bought a Hornet - best thing I ever did!

I did look at this new rimmy but decided against it. I'm having a .17 Rem built instead. That should do the trick! Once it's done I'll probably sell my .17 Hornet. Nothing wrong with it, I just get bored quickly! I'm already thinking about a .20 Vartarg and the Rem isn't even done yet! :rolleyes:

Now what they should have done is made this thing a .22 and put it in a semi auto. That would be a great fox gun!

Edit... "Can't be any worse than a .22 Hornet"! What's wrong with them? Probably the best of the bunch I reckon!

As you've said the .22 Hornet was the best of the bunch. I found the rounds wouldn't 100% of the time "stack" nicely on top of each other in the magazine. The large lip at the case head seemed the biggest issue. A little too finicky to get the consistent accuracy for me personally too, compared to other cf's as well. The gun itself was also very heavy, (a lesson learnt...) it was a Weihrauch HW66 jagd-match. Beautifully made, and lovely to shoot. But she had to go..

I've had the .204 Ruger, what a great calibre! Regret selling that....

I have some guns i would never sell, and others, that i would, and do, if i get bored of them. I have a Rossi .357 Magnum in stainless. I've owned it just under a year. I've fired it less than 20 times, and decided it wasn't what i wanted, so that's now going... A change is as good as a rest, as they say!.... :)

And, may one ask, where the hell have you been?

Good to see you back. :good:

• 1 month later...

i know there are alot of doubters on this new calibre but it sounds like a interesting round to me. i use a savage hmr and think its great had it years. i am very tempted to get a wsm. it would be something in betweeen my hmr and 243. but i want to hear more reports from this side of the pond before i part with my cash

I'm now out and about with mine and over all, i love to bits! :)

That Savage really is rough to say the least. I can't see any point at all chasing yet another new rimfire calibre given the issues many already experience with more common calibres.

Having now shot over 75 rounds with the .17 wsm to date, i would disagree with some of your comments fister. Is it perfect, no.

I like to be totally honest about what i find good and bad about firearms, or as best i can from a novice "man on the street" point of view, shall we say...

The bolt, and rear mounted bolt lugs felt odd to start with, and the bolt does feel quite loose in the action, and did cause me some concern to start with. But not for long, as i soon got used to them. And it cycles quickly and smoothly now. There is some stiffness when initially opening or closing it. But more so on closing it. Although in fairness, it kind of adds a little peace of mind, due to the firmness. Although it's too early to say if it will remain this way.....I'm not a fan of rotary magazines, and to start with i was frustrated to say the least! But the more times i loaded it, the easier it became. Maybe it's me getting the "knack" of it, or it's the mag breaking in a bit. This remains to be seen.. The trigger is very nice with hardly any noticeable take-up creep, and very little over-travel. And has a nice 2lb (ish) break. The safety works just fine, and i like the orientation, as in push it forward to fire. Although, the tab is plastic... I also found that if a loaded magazine is placed into the action, and the bolt cycled, to chamber a round, the gun wound not fire, unless it was cycled with the safety off !! I thought perhaps it was me being dim, so i tried it several times, and had the same result. So with a loaded magazine, the rifle could only chamber a round ready to fire, if the safety was OFF!! I'm presuming, (as i'm no smith) that somebody some where dropped a ******* in that part of the engineering stage to say the least.... My model is the stainless heavy barrel version with the Boyd's thumbhole stock. And going by the you-tube videos, boy am i glad i got that model ! The thin barreled cheap plastic stock versions, can only be described as not fit for purpose! (So users say) Or at least about the stocks... Perhaps that was part of your point fister, maybe not?? I also removed the action from the stock. And around the action end, the timber from the milling was quite rough in places, but nothing a little bit of dremel work didn't sort. The clip that holds the magazine in the action certainly doesn't inspire confidence at all - and seems quite brittle. Although, i've had no issues with it so far. That's as long as you put a little force into pushing it home.

As for being any better than the .17 HMR - from what little memory i have of mine, i would say it is most definitely feels like it has more punch!

But how much better is hard to say, as the drop and drift figures quoted by most if not all ammo manufacturers, are way out anyhow...

But so far, i am very pleased with mine to say the least! :good:

hia sorry late with this information, but just joined, been chomping at the bit waiting for admin, bought the savage .17wsm, the laminate version expecting great things since watching its conception on and off state side over the past 4 years or so, and thought this would be a sorted gun by now especially dropping into the uk market place were it needs to prove itself against the hmr and hornet to name just two, " BUT so far its **** ", let me explain firstly i like to think i can shoot fairly well not the best not the worst,

i have shot in the mc queen A class and managed to get myself on the top sheet, shot from .177 to 50cal and yes im an old ***, ok but i now how to point a bang stick and kill things,

so purchased the wsm and the hornady 20g ammo on thursday before last, scope mounted etc and out on the sat, perfect spot found to bed/burn in, simple target shoot and see dot in the center of plain A4 bore sited at 75yrds (by the laser) wind steady 10mph, positioned so following, so it began, bang site clean bang site clean bang site etc etc, the A4 was looking more like a dot to dot kids book, and yes the barrel fully floats etc double checked mounts screws you name it i checked, came down to 30yrds to find inch and by 65yrds i was at 2moa, gutted the gun dont shoot, ****** off to say the least, it almost seemed as if the bullet wait was wrong, generally the gun performed ok, mag is a bit fiddly at first, also bolt a tiny bit stiff as it closes but of no concern and expected, got home sat in cleaning cradle got a cuppa sat down opposite rifle (yes it was clear) but in the light glancing off the end of the barrel

no STAR!! ******** the crowns duff two powder points and the rest were spread about, could have kicked myself, so mag monocle and yes what a load of well looked bad under high mag but just flat to the but powder dont lie, the gun was returned to dealer monday 31/10 he was as gob smacked as me and very apologetic, going through his limited stock we found one other the rest looked fine, no word still so will be chasing mora, as a note i did point out that the guns all had been threaded for mod and be it odd or not the guns working state side are running 22" barrels i seem to think and all these seem to cut down to 20.5 ish, still not to worry ay, i havent written the gun off yet just bad luck and a really really **** job by savage all round, i hope it will shoot and shall inform you in brief when i get it back.

hia sorry late with this information, but just joined, been chomping at the bit waiting for admin, bought the savage .17wsm, the laminate version expecting great things since watching its conception on and off state side over the past 4 years or so, and thought this would be a sorted gun by now especially dropping into the uk market place were it needs to prove itself against the hmr and hornet to name just two, " BUT so far its **** ", let me explain firstly i like to think i can shoot fairly well not the best not the worst,

i have shot in the mc queen A class and managed to get myself on the top sheet, shot from .177 to 50cal and yes im an old ***, ok but i now how to point a bang stick and kill things,

so purchased the wsm and the hornady 20g ammo on thursday before last, scope mounted etc and out on the sat, perfect spot found to bed/burn in, simple target shoot and see dot in the center of plain A4 bore sited at 75yrds (by the laser) wind steady 10mph, positioned so following, so it began, bang site clean bang site clean bang site etc etc, the A4 was looking more like a dot to dot kids book, and yes the barrel fully floats etc double checked mounts screws you name it i checked, came down to 30yrds to find inch and by 65yrds i was at 2moa, gutted the gun dont shoot, ****** off to say the least, it almost seemed as if the bullet wait was wrong, generally the gun performed ok, mag is a bit fiddly at first, also bolt a tiny bit stiff as it closes but of no concern and expected, got home sat in cleaning cradle got a cuppa sat down opposite rifle (yes it was clear) but in the light glancing off the end of the barrel

no STAR!! ******* the crowns duff two powder points and the rest were spread about, could have kicked myself, so mag monocle and yes what a load of well looked bad under high mag but just flat to the but powder dont lie, the gun was returned to dealer monday 31/10 he was as gob smacked as me and very apologetic, going through his limited stock we found one other the rest looked fine, no word still so will be chasing mora, as a note i did point out that the guns all had been threaded for mod and be it odd or not the guns working state side are running 22" barrels i seem to think and all these seem to cut down to 20.5 ish, still not to worry ay, i havent written the gun off yet just bad luck and a really really **** job by savage all round, i hope it will shoot and shall inform you in brief when i get it back.

unlucky that mate. hope you keep faith with the calibre as it seems a interesting round no matter how many people have written it off before using it. i have a savage hmr i am very pleased with it had it for years. the guns mag release does let it down but the trigger is great. look forward to a full review of this as am very tempted to get one for dedicated nightvision

How much was it?

The basic gun was £650, with the thin barrel and cheap nasty stock.

The target version, with the heavy stainless barrel, and laminated thumbhole stock was £750. Ammo in Hornady 20grain V-max head is £17.95 per box of 50.

unlucky that mate. hope you keep faith with the calibre as it seems a interesting round no matter how many people have written it off before using it. i have a savage hmr i am very pleased with it had it for years. the guns mag release does let it down but the trigger is great. look forward to a full review of this as am very tempted to get one for dedicated nightvision

cheers bumpy22, yes not riten off yet, i really want it to work in theory it would wipe out ammo purchases of hmr .22 and reduce .223, will see, by for now, cheers

The basic gun was £650, with the thin barrel and cheap nasty stock.

The target version, with the heavy stainless barrel, and laminated thumbhole stock was £750. Ammo in Hornady 20grain V-max head is £17.95 per box of 50.

hia sorry for hijack, mine was £695 for heavy barrel thumb hole but ammo £22-50 a box so all much of a much really, have been shopping around ready for guns return and on the back of a purchase of some .308 hornady TAP i have some wsm coming down next week about £18. a box, a new shipment has just hit edgars. cheers boys

no STAR!! ******* the crowns duff two powder points and the rest were spread about, could have kicked myself, so mag monocle and yes what a load of well looked bad under high mag but just flat to the but powder dont lie, the gun was returned to dealer monday 31/10 he was as gob smacked as me and very apologetic, going through his limited stock we found one other the rest looked fine, no word still so will be chasing mora, as a note i did point out that the guns all had been threaded for mod and be it odd or not the guns working state side are running 22" barrels i seem to think and all these seem to cut down to 20.5 ish, still not to worry ay, i havent written the gun off yet just bad luck and a really really **** job by savage all round, i hope it will shoot and shall inform you in brief when i get it back.

Crikey, you have have a bad time of it. We can all appreciate that excitement of taking out a new rifle. But to then find it's a duff is grim to say the least! Also seems odd that the barrels are shorter. Mine's at least 22" long. The first 20 shots were a join the dots game, especially after cleaning each shot, but it's shot around 75 and is doing great now. I was told the factory barrel length was 22". It would be interesting to see how many fps are lost by losing a lit of length...