Dilemma

Situation is: work is half way to the range, wanna go shooting, pressed for time on that day before dark, after work. If I have to go home for the gun I would hit the traffic on a major road, another hour (maybe more) taken from shooting, gun is S1 shotgun, so can't give it to any of my shooting buddies to bring it to me. So, If I park my 4x4 against the wall (impossible to open the back) at our public car park, gun chained to an anchor point of car, trigger lock installed, steering wheel lock on, car alarmed, next to the entrance of our building (5m), hundreds of people coming/going, never seen any car theft there (10yrs). Can't take any part of the firearm into the building (against policy). Would this be reasonable precaution or not? Stupid thing to do or not? Pls don't bash me on this, just looking for some honest advice... Thank You!

I don't know what your gun is but my ex section 1 s/a is gas operated and has a piston/rod which operates the mechanism. It's a small and easily carried part which is unidentifiable as part of a gun and without which the gun is single shot/unusable. Removal of this along with the other measures you highlighted I would consider as reasonable.

Edited by Glenlivet

I don't know what your gun is but my ex section 1 s/a is gas operated and has a piston/rod which operates the mechanism. It's a small and easily carried part which is unidentifiable as part of a gun and without which the gun is single shot/unusable. Removal of this along with the other measures you highlighted I would consider as reasonable.

I would do this, assuming its a SA, take the 'nut thing' that holds action together in to work with u, depending on the make some have triggers that pull out possibly hide that somewhere else in car. If not split the gun mibee a cordlock thing down throuhg the barrels and stock/butt under seat.

Just do wotever u think will take a thief longer to steal it

Pump,,different, can't remove parts.

I would do this, assuming its a SA, take the 'nut thing' that holds action together in to work with u, depending on the make some have triggers that pull out possibly hide that somewhere else in car. If not split the gun mibee a cordlock thing down throuhg the barrels and stock/butt under seat.

Just do wotever u think will take a thief longer to steal it

. Cable into the barrel, thats how I lock it onto the anchor point.

You would have taken reasonable precautions so I would say yes,

But I'm not the one you would have to answer to if something did happen

:shaun:

This is the correct answer.

As Shaun has said, if the worst happens it is you who will have to demonstrate to the police/firearms team that your action was beyond reproach.

Is the public car park a council car park type or a public park owned by your work? Just have to be careful if it is work's property if they have a firearm policy.

Rick

Public car park owned by my work. Costumers sometimes coming with guns in the car. (Dressed up for the first shoot of the season, looking for sloe gin, etc).

Sorry for a stupid question (don't think ever seen a pump in flesh) can u not strip them down the same was as a SA?

How do u clean them?

There is no stupid question, it is a highly modified pump, You need gunsmithing tools/knowledge to do things like that with it. Still can clean barrel and receiver/port. Which I do every time. Never failed on me. Once a year service, deep clean by gunsmith. Me not mechanically minded. Can take apart all my other guns, except this one. Edited by londonercsecse

Just to be extra safe can't you take the bolt out and pop it in your pocket? Even if anything happened and they chainsawed their way into your particularly secure car the gun would be useless.

I appreciate it's probably a bit oily and lives inside the beast like my semi auto but its a 10 second job to remove and renders it useless without and added piece of mind.

Just an idea.

Should the unthinkable happen and your vehicle is stolen, how will you feel when reporting the theft to the Police?

How will you mention that the car contained a S1 Firearm and ammunition?

How will you prove that you had taken all reasonable precautions?

I would strongly suspect that the Police may well not agree with you and may ask why you couldn't be bothered to go home for the weapon and ammo?

A friend of mine was prosecuted some years ago, his S2 shotguns were under a false floor in his van parked on the road outside his house.

He was too lazy to take the weapons in one evening as he planned to use them the next day.

He was a shooting instructor and that was a large part of his livelyhood.

Ultimately it is YOUR CHOICE.

Should the unthinkable happen and your vehicle is stolen, how will you feel when reporting the theft to the Police?

How will you mention that the car contained a S1 Firearm and ammunition?

How will you prove that you had taken all reasonable precautions?

I would strongly suspect that the Police may well not agree with you and may ask why you couldn't be bothered to go home for the weapon and ammo?

A friend of mine was prosecuted some years ago, his S2 shotguns were under a false floor in his van parked on the road outside his house.

He was too lazy to take the weapons in one evening as he planned to use them the next day.

He was a shooting instructor and that was a large part of his livelyhood.

Ultimately it is YOUR CHOICE.

No ammo in car. Time would be the issue. Will go home and sit in traffic. Not worth it. Edited by londonercsecse

There is a bit of a difference leaving guns in ur car outside ur house and wot the OP is talking about doing.

Ideally i'd want to try to remove something from the gun if possible so it couldn't fire in the slim chance they nicked ur whole motor.

People do it all the time travelling to and from shooting holidays, so if u use some common sense, disguise it, secure it and don't advetise the fact it could be there (stickers on motor etc)

If u think u have satisfied resonble precations and its safe i'd take it (but i must admit would be happier if i had a imprtant part of it on me)

HO guidance is clear on this, and if do as you have described you have fulfilled your obligation in taking all reasonable precautions to secure your firearm.

This ^^

You`re overthinking it Steve. Perfectly reasonable, in fact almost obsessive, safety precautions you`ve listed. Just do as stated and arrive on time.