Solo Weekend

pigeon controller

This weekend DB had to work so I was solo, I'd been watching the pea field we shot last week and it had a good number of birds on it midweek but as I looked at it on Friday morning about ten it had no birds crossing or down. I drove around all our stubbles and could not find anything worth setting up for. Forty miles on I was back at the pea field, during the week they had cut the beans in the ajoining fields and as I scanned the beans I could see four birds down feeding hard. Now I would not normally set up with four birds feeding but this is an afternoon field and it was 12.00. This also is a shared permission with Bunny Blaster and others so I wanted to shoot it today. I drove to the hedge with the wind off my back and set up, ten on spikes and two on the magnet. The first bird in was shot and about eighty birds lifted out of the trees around the field. It was steady shooting all afternoon BB joined me about 17.00 and we chatted in the hide and he had a couple of good shots with my gun . I stopped shooting at approx 18.00 and started to pick up the birds , BB went with his two dogs and picked up a further twenty plus birds from the thick hedges. We discusse the shooting for Saturday and he said he was going to shoot a field of stubble turnips the Farmer had asked him to shoot and invited me to join him. He then had six of my original decoys to use tomorrow. I collected up and picked one hundred and sixty birds.

Saturday morning I blasted down the motorway so I could weave my way back along the country roads, all I could find was growing rape and seeded fields no stubble at all. BB phoned me and said that he had looked at the turnips and it had about twenty birds on it and also he had looked at the bean stubble on another farm and they were working it in. I asked when he had seen the birds on the turnips in the week and it was late afternoon I suggested that they were trying to get some moisture out of the leaves he again offered to share the field but as I had shot the beans the day before I told him to fill his boots as this is another shared permission. I went to the bean stubble and they had stopped working it and left, it had a few birds flighting but not committing to the beans but to other fields around. I went to the farmer and he said carry on . It was now 12.00 and I set up with the wind hard off my back on a hedge between the beans. I only had the six decoys from the day before as I'd layed out all the birds from the day before in the garage. So I put my six out on spikes on the left hand field. It was very slow at the start but I soon had eighteen birds out as decoys , so I decided to experiment and collected eighteen further decoys as I shot them and placed them on the righthand field and then placed two angels in the lefthand pattern to see if they prefered either. I finished shooting at 18.00 and the lefthand pattern with the angels had fiftyeight birds and the righthand pattern had fortytwo birds. The day was very windy and the presentaion of the birds was first class with some coming passed with the wind, it was difficult to throw the gun forward enough to give the required lead, but it was memorable shooting with picking up exactly one hundred birds.

a2506d95-6237-4370-9420-826b0c20a597_zps

2b7f8a05-62bf-499f-9442-5d14cff0ffa2_zps

Due to being too macho, and not wearing ear protection I've lost 50% in my left ear and 25% in my right ear and suffer constant tinnitus in both, it is totally self inflicted.

Yes, similar to myself - I fired thousands of cartridges over the early years with no ear protection, lost 75% in left ear and 50% in the right, I also have severe tinitus in both ears which sometimes almost drives me crackers.

I was told to stop shooting by my Ear Consultant, but to give up shooting I may as well stop living - I now wear the best ear protection available.

only 260 ? , bit of a slow weekend by your standards lol , youre the digweed of pigeonwatch and the guy that we all want to be when we grow up. :good:[/quot

Digweed !?!! No way. He just shoots straight, this gent has fieldcraft and good darts. Week after week. Month after month. OBE for services to decoying

Week in and week out P C never fail to come up trumps , what is the secret ? , sheer hard work , dedicated to pigeon shooting and a vast amount of knowledge of pigeon movement , crops , flight lines and being able to read a situation and get the maximum out of it .

We all have the odd good day from time to time but to do it not only once a week but two days running what seems like every week is way beyond most peoples capabilities and all I can keep saying is well done and like I have said in the past , he is now in a league of his own and someone we all look up to and admire .

Week in and week out P C never fail to come up trumps , what is the secret ? , sheer hard work , dedicated to pigeon shooting and a vast amount of knowledge of pigeon movement , crops , flight lines and being able to read a situation and get the maximum out of it .

We all have the odd good day from time to time but to do it not only once a week but two days running what seems like every week is way beyond most peoples capabilities and all I can keep saying is well done and like I have said in the past , he is now in a league of his own and someone we all look up to and admire .

You are so kind but I'm not super human , far from it. Those birds are out there you just have to find them or as you say remember the pattern of that farm i.e. Morning or afternoon feeding. We have local farms that I'm unable to shoot due to other shooters who have permission but we never see shoot, these build up a nucleus of birds who we take advantage of by intersecting the flightlines on farms we can shoot which helps in maintaining numbers in the area.

We are now entering the quiet period when the birds will be in the woods feeding on the Autumn harvest but the game shooters and beaters will disturb them and push them on the rape etc. Pigeon shooting is cyclical and to a point predicable you just have to learn how to read it.