Off for my tour of the marsh/ foreshore today

Cant hit them all

Went ok then, do you have to do so many accompanied flights,

no the chairman is happy with us to go it alone if we wish as this is the 3rd time we have met him and chatted for quite some time. But he have give in use some phone number's of people who would take us out if have any troubles or not having much success

We have our tide books I understand them and would not even push time to stay another ten minutes than a plan time I wanna be off by was shown some rather safe bits one is a creak that's almost a straight path so even in pitch black just follow the creak. That creak is ok into 6m tide tomorrow evening high tide is 5.6m and not into gone 2am and we be off befor dark so be off by 7.30pm roughly

Edited by Cant hit them all

We have our tide books I understand them and would not even push time to stay another ten minutes than a plan time I wanna be off by was shown some rather safe bits one is a creak that's almost a straight path so even in pitch black just follow the creak. That creak is ok into 6m tide tomorrow evening high tide is 5.6m and not into gone 2am and we be off befor dark so be off by 7.30pm roughly

Don't be fooled into safe marsh as it floods in behind you I've sent you a PM

It would probably be a bit late for you if you got cut off by a big tide. I'm surprised you don't have to have any accompanied flights.

So am I , I know all clubs have different rules , but in our club ( no names given ) any new member have to go with a member for six trips so he can be judged weather he have enough knowledge of species , range and everything else he will encounter with a flight on the marsh .

The op said in a previous post he had been shooting around five years at pigeons and a bit of game shooting , can he truthfully tell the difference between a young Shelduck and a Widgeon in poor light , with never firing at a wild goose can he judge the height when they look huge directly above him but are at least 80 to 90 yds high.

I know we all have to start somewhere but this Summer like weather we are having at the moment can change overnight with thick fog or strong to gale N / East winds to push a tide up a lot higher than the tide tables predict then the tide table is not worth the paper it is written on .

When we had the last tidal surge down here the bottom of the tide was nearly as high as the top of the tide then we had six hours of flood tides on top of that , at eleven o clock that night we were only inches away from major floods and the highest point on our estuary was over six foot under water , the tide table was way out that night.

no the chairman is happy with us to go it alone if we wish as this is the 3rd time we have met him and chatted for quite some time. But he have give in use some phone number's of people who would take us out if have any troubles or not having much success

Use the numbers, don't go out on your own, you won't benefit from it at all.

Watch the tide, know the height the marsh gets flooded. If when out and tide is flooding and it looks like it might make more than it should, get off the marsh or back towards the sea wall. Many times the tide will not be exactly what is predicted and then you are stuck.

Thing is, those birds in the distance that lifted, a lot of time stay that distance out! lol

Don't be fooled into safe marsh as it floods in behind you I've sent you a PM

No truer word spoken Boyd .

Last night around 6.30pm I took my dogs up on the estuary wall to watch the sunset and to see how many duck were on the move , the wind was a strong South Westerly so there wasn't going to be a big tide up , over on the flats towards the town there was a small skiff with two people aboard , weathered they had an engine problem and no anchor on board I don't know but looking at them with my bins they were waving there arms about to attract attention , just as I was about to ring the coastguard the inshore RNLI came up the river and made a weak attempt to go over after them .

After about 60 / 70 yds they ran out of water and there engine must have scrapped the bottom as they turned back and waited in the channel for the tide to push up a bit more , if they had gone up the North drain they would have had more than enough water and could have waited for the skiff to come to them with the wind blowing in there direction .

As it was now getting dark and my tea was ready I left them to it and made my way home and didn't think to much more of it , when I went back up there this morning the skiff had grounded on what we call the Lumps and I presumed they will come after it at the top of the tide in daylight .

Coming home this afternoon after a look round for pigeons I heard the sad news on the car radio a bird watcher had found two bodies on the mud flats , a man and a woman in there 40s to 50s , what happened after I went home I don't know but the estuary have claimed two lives in fairly calm conditions . R I P ( who ever you are )

No truer word spoken Boyd .

Last night around 6.30pm I took my dogs up on the estuary wall to watch the sunset and to see how many duck were on the move , the wind was a strong South Westerly so there wasn't going to be a big tide up , over on the flats towards the town there was a small skiff with two people aboard , weathered they had an engine problem and no anchor on board I don't know but looking at them with my bins they were waving there arms about to attract attention , just as I was about to ring the coastguard the inshore RNLI came up the river and made a weak attempt to go over after them .

After about 60 / 70 yds they ran out of water and there engine must have scrapped the bottom as they turned back and waited in the channel for the tide to push up a bit more , if they had gone up the North drain they would have had more than enough water and could have waited for the skiff to come to them with the wind blowing in there direction .

As it was now getting dark and my tea was ready I left them to it and made my way home and didn't think to much more of it , when I went back up there this morning the skiff had grounded on what we call the Lumps and I presumed they will come after it at the top of the tide in daylight .

Coming home this afternoon after a look round for pigeons I heard the sad news on the car radio a bird watcher had found two bodies on the mud flats , a man and a woman in there 40s to 50s , what happened after I went home I don't know but the estuary have claimed two lives in fairly calm conditions . R I P ( who ever you are )

Very very sad news John .

Another reminder that it's a very dangerous place us Wildfowlers pursue our Sport

Done a flight tonight what got me a tad nervous was no fone signal what so ever on Vodafone. What's the best network for signal on the wash no point having a phone to phone for self with no signal. And yes soon as it gets dark the marsh all looks the same and I can see losing your route or bearings is quite easy in the dark out there.

Done a flight tonight what got me a tad nervous was no fone signal what so ever on Vodafone. What's the best network for signal on the wash no point having a phone to phone for self with no signal. And yes soon as it gets dark the marsh all looks the same and I can see losing your route or bearings is quite easy in the dark out there.

Get out with someone on a flight, it will give you some confidence.

never rely solely on electronics