Socks

Richie10

I used to use the sealskins on long motorcycle tours and I'd recommend them for keeping your feet dry (I once used them as makeshift wellingtons in NordKapp - the North of Norway) but I didn't notice them being any warmer than other thick socks, if those other socks were dry.

Have you tried buying a pair of boots two sizes too big and then flexing your toes inside them to keep the circulation going?

The boots I have for my waders are two sizes too big for me (not by choice) and this gives me a good layer of trapped warm air between my feet and the inside of the boots as well as plenty of room to flex my toes when I'm hunkered down in the mud.

Works for me, but then one of the reasons the wife decided to marry me was because my feet don't get cold :-)

The sealskins socks are generaly accepted as a good solution, i dont own a pair though. I like breathable waders or if wellies i like plain old rubber ones even cheap dunlps, they have the age old condensation issues which is your big enemy in keeping warm, you dont want to cram two or more pairs of socks on in tight wellies you need good circulation and dry feet to begin with or you will never keep your feet warm in the stationary motionless sports like wildfowling.

You can move your feet about a little in looser fitting boots this can help provided you dont do too much and cause too much heat and thus speed up condensation.

Cold i feel strikes up through the soles of any boot, if you can inssulate your soles from the boot insole you will keep your feet warmer for longer but they will get cold in the end.

For socks you dont want them tight but you dont want them creeping in the boot either, getting good fitting socks which are loose around the ankles to encourage good circulation is important, i use non elasticasted cotton socks with marino wool clements mountaineering socks over them in rubber boots, and i use carpet underlay cut to insoles to inssulate the soles this with hot drinks and food and moderate movement keeps my feet as warm as toast.

As i have got older and obviously less fit i pay more attention to how i walk in to a possition these days leave early if you have a few miles to walk in to possition, walk slow open your jacket stay sweat free both on your body and your feet, its not against the law to walk in with heavy clothes in a rucksack aqnd don jacket and clean dry thicker socks when you get to possition, this is of course area dependent and obviously some locations dont lent themselves to such a routene, and waders complicate things too, but ariving at your possition sweating and with nasty sweaty feet is not only unpleasant to even talk about, but its a sure fire reliable begining to a misserable time suffering with cold feet if your not carefull.

There is no one stop sollution to the human foot and cold thats why mountaineers stranded on mountains loose toes to frostbite if there was a solution we would have it now but you need to manage your feet rather than just shell out the cash on the next magic socks that wont be a complete solution no matter what the claims.

Great for keeping your feet dry (I wear them for cycling in the wet), but no warmer than normal woolens. I would suggest silk inners and merino outers.

Waders two sizes too big are no answer, they'll just come off in the mud as I'm sure you know.

IMO and experience, it's very much a case of put up and shut up, especially with your feet in a foot of cold wet mud.

Sealskins do an expensive pair, but anyone had experience of them?

Thanks

I use leeda neoprene waders, it's the feet that get cold, believe it is due to medication I take.

I guess I will have to try the expedition socks.

Great for keeping your feet dry (I wear them for cycling in the wet), but no warmer than normal woolens. I would suggest silk inners and merino outers.

Waders two sizes too big are no answer, they'll just come off in the mud as I'm sure you know.

IMO and experience, it's very much a case of put up and shut up, especially with your feet in a foot of cold wet mud.

It might well have to be, or battery warmed socks....lol

I have found Bama sockets to be the best thing to keep my feet warm and dry. If you do get damp feet they remove the water to the outside of the socket leaving the inside dry. Note I said damp not wet! Their only problems are a tendancy to wear as carpet slippers ( they are so comfortable ) and they are a bit bulky so you need boots a couple of sizes bigger than normal.

Tried double pairs, toasties, thick socks over toasties over the years, everything..... but still my feet go numb.

Anyone have any recommendations? I don't have any issue keeping the rest of me warm....but my feet, no chance.

Any new innovations?

Thanks

You can always put your feet under my arm pits :friends: but don't know what will smell more :hmm:

Sorry to say it sounds like you be suffering from from a condition like myself called Reynards. As you say the rest of the body no problem only the feet, i have had this for a number of years and tried many things to no avail. The best socks i have found are the ones issued to soldiers for arctic use they are white with a red line round the top, they are socks not long ones. They look like a short version of the abb wool trawlermens stocking but they wear forever still wearing some 5 year old . I wear them all day in the winter i have found Grubbs or now i am useing Wyevale Trent neoprene wellies the best.

Sorry to say it sounds like you be suffering from from a condition like myself called Reynards. As you say the rest of the body no problem only the feet, i have had this for a number of years and tried many things to no avail. The best socks i have found are the ones issued to soldiers for arctic use they are white with a red line round the top, they are socks not long ones. They look like a short version of the abb wool trawlermens stocking but they wear forever still wearing some 5 year old . I wear them all day in the winter i have found Grubbs or now i am useing Wyevale Trent neoprene wellies the best.

I have a few issues wrong and I believe this affects my extremities like hands and feet, I think I have seen those socks, not too expensive with try a pair before moving up the more expensive options, those BAMA look interesting as well, might combine the 2!

Thanks

You can always put your feet under my arm pits :friends: but don't know what will smell more :hmm:

I'm going with the battery powered socks for sure now..... :oops:

I wear two very thick pairs of ski type socks an a pair of prologic neoprene 'bivvy socks' inside my neoprene chest waders. It's the best combination I've found so far. I suffer very badly from cold feet and hands. I do still get cold feet even with this combination, but nowhere near as bad as before. It leaves enough space to keep wriggling my toes too