Gun Watch

Osbourne, Charles

£375

12 gauge Shotgun Private Seller
Used - Very Good Condition Camborne, Cornwall
Hammer, 1/4 Choke, 3/4 Choke, 28" barrels
20160927_184412 20160927_184633 20160927_184839

Description

Stunning piece of British history, complete with case.

Charles osborne rotary underlever hammer gun in 12 guage.

Lovely woodwork that is in good condition with only a few small marks.

The furniture set has an honest appearance with a nice patina, although the makers name is only barely visible.

The barrels have been sleeved, but have been done extremely well with no visible joint and the balance of the gun sits just just forward of the hinge pin. Unless I told you, you wouldn't notice!

Due to this, the bores are excellent.

A perfect gun for a walked up or driven English game day.

The seller of this gun doesn't appear to be a Pigeon Watch member, to contact them please use the details on Gun Watch.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening buze,

Unfortunately it's not the original case, it is one that I bought to try and compliment it as best I could.

As with the gun, the case has a few marks here and there so the two just kind of fit together well.

The annoying thing is, the more I look at the pictures, the less I want to sell it! Haha

hi, has it been restocked? for a gun that old the stock looks two new. also was it sleeved on steel or Damascus barrels? thanks alf

Hi alf,

If I'm honest, I don't know on either count I'm afraid.

I have very little information other than what was available when I bought it.

If it has been re-stocked, the workmanship is superb. The fit and finish of the woodwork is excellent.

I would imagine it would have originally have had Damascus barrels given its age though.

There is no visible serial numbers on it but estimated age is around 1880.

For those that have asked, the hammers are non rebounding.

I will attempt to upload some extra pictures as soon as possible.

The underlever,fences and the fore end wedge would indicate an early gun yet the proof marks are 1954 onwards - the total lack of earlier marks would lead me to believe that the whole barrel/lump section has been replaced at some time. To go to such lengths would have been costly so I do not believe it impossible that the stock has also been replaced - I would like to think that this gun has meant a lot to a previous owner to have taken such measures to keep her alive - if only she could talk :/

Edited by bruno22rf

Rebounding Barlock hammer gun, unless the hammers are at half or cocked in the photos?

I have see rejointed/sleeved guns that have had the old original proofmarks removed and only later marks are visible, usually there will still be the original action proof-marks present on the flats!

Edited by panoma1