Breeze, my GSP

ziplex

It's never easy losing a dog, but every now and then a very special one comes along that melts your heart and claims your soul. My GSP 'Bree' was that very dog for me and after actively not working for 4 months to look after her at the beginning of the year I lost her late April after a very complicated and long fight to keep her with me. Long story short she had liver disease which progresses rapidly into her suffering god awful seizures, but during those 4 months while on beach or field she was like a pup...hunting, pointing, playful, tormentative, wonderful in every respect. Truth be told she was never a brilliant retriever but I enjoyed visits to the foreshore with her every year immensely, she was my angel and possibly the most well adjusted dog ever to of graced this earth, everyone she met be it man, woman, child, dog or horse she left her mark on and never once did she cause me an issue, she was faultless and loved by many people and hound alike. I felt I needed to celebrate her life by posting a much appreciated thanks to her and a pic', it was a huge privilegde to of owned such a wonderful creature. I am, after much thought and hearache, guilt and soul searching awaiting the collection of a Braque D' Auverne pup in just over 2 weeks, the intention being to train him as a gun dog although I am currently selling up for now....who knows what I'll do in the future but for now foreshore visits without my girl would be difficult at best. It's been incredibly hard to deal with her loss and even after four months or more of her not being at my side I still miss her more than words could possibly purvey..so, to Breeze, the one that really got under my skin and who I miss and loved hugely. post-3597-0-65004300-1475154714_thumb.jpg

I think it was Rudyard Kipling who wrote a last line to a poem .... "Why give your heart for a dog to tear?" I must look it up and put it on here.

She looked a beautiful dog. It never ever gets any easier. I have only recently lost my old Viszla Treacle at 14yrs and still miss him every morning when I go into the kitchen. He will be the last of eleven dogs I have owned or should I say , they owned me. I have lost them from 14 months to 14 years old and know exactly what you are going through. One of my dogs was a GSP, he died suddenly from a seizure and heart failure at 6yrs. He knew the 'click' of the safety catch and would search the sky and sometimes if an evenings pigeon flight was a bit slow I would taunt him, but he loved every minute. Yes, ziplex, I know, I know, but I am sure you have some fine memories.

on edit ... that was a beautiful name for your dog.

Edited by Walker570

So sory for your loss its a terible thing loosing any dog.

I am on my third GSP losing the other two was hard they are a breed i feel great afinity too, not that i feel any less about labs or springers but GSPs have a way about them their bond is in my experience strong they never want to be far from you and kick off if issolated, my dog in the kitchen litteraly wrecking the door to get with me when the feo came for my renewal last year had him laughing he had come in out the yard oopened the back door himself jumped at the door from the kitchen and run round the front stood paws in the window cill looking in at us :lol: .

The FEO said for heavens sake lit him in. :lol: They winge a lot tend to get what they want one way or another, and have a way of getting away with things i just would not tollerate from a lab or springer.

Its clear you loved her they are an easy dog to love they give so much in return very much a people dog GSPs, i could not be without one, mine all retrieve very strong but swiming is hit and miss they have all been average in water but open marsh on geese i would have one over any other breed if they are of a mind to retrieve.

They say its not a guaranteed trait retrieving in GSPs but all mine have been very good in this respect.

Move on to the next one, its what i did took me about 9 month to find the right dog but my curent dog now 2 is doing ok very headstrong compared to the others but hes doing fine.

Sorry for your loss just remember that long drawn out yawn she did and remember the good things you did togeter, i have been lucky enough to share my life with three of these dogs now, and a real regret in my life corny as it sounds but very true non the less is not having them untill the last 15 20 years i should have had them from the start they are a truly magnificent breed, i would be lost without them.

Thanks all, very kind words and sentiments for sure and much appreciated....I was hankering after another 'Birkenwald' GSP but the breeder Mr Gill can't assure me of any imminent litters hence the change to a different breed altogether. Bree was an incredibly headstrong dog of the highest order when a youngster, her drive was immense and at times I thought I'd never get there but with patience she became the perfect companion in every respect. Just a few more pic's of the girl, she was simply gorgeous and I enjoyed nine glorious years with her.

post-3597-0-65751000-1475251827_thumb.jpg

post-3597-0-56107100-1475251902_thumb.jpg

post-3597-0-14018900-1475251940_thumb.jpg

post-3597-0-15146000-1475251988_thumb.jpg

Yes Walker, summed it up in one....she really was a fine girl indeed. Braque D'Auverne isn't a recognised breed of dog in the UK really, this little chap's litter of 11 represents approx 10% of the total number in the UK but like I said I couldn't replace Breeze in any way so decided on a different breed altogether. Thought I'd post a pic' of the little guy for anyone interested in something a little different, in the pic' with my daughter he is just shy of 7 weeks old.

post-3597-0-41889300-1475672541_thumb.jpg

Yes, it has some truth in it....each visit made to see him as he's grown over the weeks has been a tonic for sure, although along with the mum and 11 pups they have a liver GSP who made both my daughter and I go weak at the knees when we met her, sort of bitter sweet visit was that.