South of the Humber

aga man

I had not been out pigeon shooting for at least a fortnight and i have been real busy with work. Nothing too unsual about that at this time of year but it can be very frustrating driving from job to job and seeing pigeons going into stubbles.

I had planned to free up space in my diary to have a day pigeon shooting at the end of the week and before i had chance to get out looking i recevieved a very kind PM off JDog inviting me to go over the humber and try to shoot a few pigeons with him on some bean stubbles he has permission on.

Amazingly the bean stubbles have been untouched by tractors all week and the pigeons have had a chance to find the beans left on top.

A strong wind was forecast today and both JDog and i prefer to shoot in the wind, today however it was a bit too strong and setting up net hides was going to prove difficult around any available poles and trees.

We met at a dodgy looking spot off a roundabout and headed off to the fields. JDog was very organised, he had called the police to advise them of our intentions and had the field maps to hand.

The area of bean stubble was vast, hundreds of acres infact and although JDog had done his homeweork and knew excatly where the pigeons would come from, we were struggling to know where to set up.

We noticed a decent line of pigeons crossing the corner of a wood and with the wind as strong as it was we decided to set up at one side of the wood. We would have the comfort of shelter from the wind here and birds approaching from all angles would see our decoys consisting of a dozen or so dead birds and a rotary with dead birds on.

After a short while it was clear that the pigeons would not decoy and the line of birds drifted off to our left and round the back of the wood.

I decided to upsticks and move round to the side of the wood with only a bag of cartridges and my gun, i found a dry dkye full of nettles and took cover in there.

In next to no time i had used 30 shells and had shot a few birds off the line. JDog joined me shortly afterwards and it was clear we could have some good sport here as the birds flighted over the wood.

We got positioned 50 metres apart along the wood side and left our hides and decoys at the other end.

The birds came as good as gold for the next 3 hours as the came over a busy road and headed straight for us.

Neither of us anticipated how many birds would start to come on the lines but we were vey pleasantly suprised when we started depleting box after box of cartridges. Birds were coming so frequently at times that my barrels were hot and i could barley load fast enough for the next one.

The pigeons provived us with some fantastic sport with every shot in the book, there was great shots today by both of us. At 5.30pm the action slowed and although the odd bird still came we decided to pick every thing up and have a count.

My shoulder was sore and i was staring to get headache having fired 150+ shells in my t shirt, but i had no idea how pigeons we had shot.

JDogs faithful spaniel Jasper did us proud and the final count was 104 picked.{ JDog has a photo i beleive }. None of the birds decoyed and the sport this afternoon was up there with the very best i have ever had.

Thanks a million for today JDog, truly amazing!

Edited by aga man

The flight line was a lucky find. Whilst I always hope for some wind when I am out decoying it was just too strong today and all three of my intended positions were ruled out because of it. Where we chose to go was the only option.

Aga man and I seem to be lucky in that when we go out together we do usually find a few. Today was no exception and to have an outbound line for three and a half hours or so was amazing. We must have used 300 cartridges this afternoon - on a flight line.

Today ranks in my top three of all time pigeon shooting adventures and I was pleased to share it with someone who appreciated it as much as me. A special word goes to Jasper. We had no hide and were merely concealed behind a meagre ash sapling. He saw every bird approaching, all that were shot, and he never moved a muscle until sent out, and he picked all of our dead birds in the wood behind us. He was a star today.

4b96660f-94f3-47cb-9660-79529e5a716e_zps

Edited by JDog

I've been looking out for this report for a few days but only just come across it. What a day! Great write up aga man. As you say, Jdog loves flighting but he also puts himself under a lot of pressure to find the birds when out with a guest (despite being told not to worry!) making this report extra special as it all seems to have come together fantastically for you both. Well done!