After market chokes

stuckinthemud

Hi guys,

Guy from a near by permission came to say hello to me today whilst I was shooting, he's a nice guy and I'm always happy to see a friendly face. I shoot a Franchi and he commented that the extended chokes were really worth it. I shoot a full choke in my top barrel for high birds, and a half choke on the bottom for those low over the pattern. I should have asked the guy at the time but what benefit do extended chokes have over a tight choke? I think he said he shoots a 1/4 and a 1/2 choke but the extended ones.

Hope that makes sense.

SITM

Extended chokes is a very broad term, some have no constriction inside the barrel this can help with hard shot types in mind thus preventing any flexing in the thread area of the tube, some start with constriction right from the botom of the tube. Extended choke tubes alow a longer area for profiling and double taper or multi taper constrictions can be used, doing this practicaly in a short tube is near impossible.

Multi chokes are commonplace these days and newer choke thread types are getting longer but early multi chokes were very short like the old winchokes etc, compare that to an invector DS or optima plus, these are longer.

In the old fixed choke guns longer chokes were common take browning A 5s they had a full choke around 4 or five inch long the old spanish tens again these big old doubles had long chokes about 5 inch long, these chokes were long tapers and typicaly when people saw the need to open them up they just turned out a paralel section next to the muzle this did remove overall constriction but you tended to need to remove significantly more than the measurement sujested to get the desired % pattern.

Laping out some of the taper behind the muzle could alter the pattern % far more than removing constriction in the form of the typical reaming out of the parallel section at the muzle.

Typical short multichokes tend to be very basic in profile more often than not pretty much a straight taper, some manufacturers do put some shape to the taper increasing the amount of constriction more sudenly when closer to the muzle rather than a plain taper, REM chokes are just such a choke and i must say they seem to work very well for a flush factory offering, Brownings Invectors and invector pluses are again slightly more profiled than say std baikal true tubes which are a plain taper end to end and their performance is in my opinion quite poor in std form. Many factory tubes are like this, manufacturers are on a budget to make guns they cant put the time into intricate profiling of choke internals and longer heavier constructed chokes as used in some forms of sport.

Buying an aftermarket choke of known performance standards with a proven design and geometry can improve a gun in no uncertain terms, its just like spending a little money on a modified cylinder head on a car you want to use for competition, its not nessasary and millions run about stock just like guns with stock chokes, but if you want improved performance for whatever reason or sport you can gain from investing in your choke tube selection just as you could your car if you wanted.

In the early days of multi chokes the old school myself included never felt the multis then performed like the longer fixed chokes, but now you seldom hear this, several ways of looking at this, either multis were always as good, or maybe they have got better , You decide but this much i can tell you aftermarket extended chokes can improve performance and its far more than just constriction, the geometry internaly is vital and effects performance a lot.

Opinion varies, but it is a bold claim to say that extended chokes perform better.

The theory of a longer taper sounds okay, but is it true? If it is true, why are extended chokes not six inches long?

Going by a man's measurements 3" is 6"....:ninja: Edited by Ttfjlc

Opinion varies, but it is a bold claim to say that extended chokes perform better.

The theory of a longer taper sounds okay, but is it true? If it is true, why are extended chokes not six inches long?

Exactly, why don't fixed chokes taper start just after the cones in fact :rolleyes: surely more taper for longer can only be a good thing. :)

Crowman shoots a patternmaster on the latest fieldsports vid, check out his opinion.

I want to know why is a 4 inch cylinder 100 quid. Where are the chinese copies at 2.99?

Im doing evening flight this unday, first flight this season for me and taking a patternmaster to see......

Crowman shoots a patternmaster on the latest fieldsports vid, check out his opinion.

I want to know why is a 4 inch cylinder 100 quid. Where are the chinese copies at 2.99?

Im doing evening flight this unday, first flight this season for me and taking a patternmaster to see......

Would you reall want to stick a Chinese £2.99 smartie tube in the end of a £1000+++ gun which throws an ounce plus of lead at 1000mph????

I wouldn't!

Glenlivet - I saw your post above, but I still have a problem with it. I am not having a pop at the poster - I genuinely haven't got a clue what he means. :)

'Can' perform better. Between 'choke' and 'perform' you need 'can'.

You missed the modal verb 'can' from your statement about a bold claim.

"Opinion varies, but it is a bold claim to say that extended chokes "can" perform better".

Edited by Glenlivet