Novice questions

iano

Hello,

I've been plugging away with the new shotgun for the last couple of months and I'd like to try a sporting clays competition now.

However, I've a few questions!

• I have a semi, will this be a problem?
  • If the semi jams, what happens to your score?
  • What is the format of the competition?
  • In the target shooting world, 'better' shooters usually shoot the later details as you are closer to the final so won't be hangning around, is this the same here or should a novice come later in the day?
  • Anything else?

Not a problem using a semi (I exclusively shoot one, too). Just remember to have your bolt locked back at all times, so that folks can see it's safe. Some people like to use one of those auto-safe orange plastic plugs, but I've never bothered and have never been pulled up by anyone about it. If the bolt is locked back the gun is safe. I lock it back at home, before putting it into the slip to transport it to the shooting ground, so it's already safe from the get-go.

Carry the gun from stand to stand in a slip, and remember not to point the muzzle at any one when taking it in / out of the slip or stand. Practice doing this at home if necessary, to get the technique right. I always hold mine by the pistol grip, so the muzzle is always pointing vertically down.

Be courteous and pickup your spent cartridges. Buy a magnetic stick if you don't fancy bending down, or if you simply can't physically manage it.

I'm assuming you're shooting an official comp, rather than a Sunday session with your mates. The format is usually 10 or 12 stands, with 5 pairs on each. They can be shot on report or as doubles. This will be made clear to you. You'll go around as a squad, with an official marshal going around with you, or there'll be a marshall on each stand, who'll mark scores and operate targets. If you get a jam, you'll shoot the pair again, with the first bird of the pair already being established as either a hit or miss. Of course, if you jam regularly, this is a problem and will spoil the rhythm of not just your shooting but other competitors (plus annoy the clay ground with the extra clays launched), so will need addressing immediately.

I can't comment on the novice vs 'better' shooters and when they shoot in the day. It's something I've never worried about or considered.

The only other thing to note is that some clay clubs accept cash only as payment, and some are fibre-wads only, too. Check this out before going. If you need to buy fibre wads from the club, remember your license. Eye and hearing protection will be mandatory (as it should be whenever and wherever you shoot).

Have fun!

Edited by Exudate

Not wishing to contradict Exudate ,but all the grounds i have ever shot at the rule is ALWAYS have the flag in the breech competition or not ,basically you walk up to the stand with the flag in place, only remove it when you are stood on the stand, and then replace it before leaving the stand .

Semi autos should always be carried with the muzzle pointing up .

Semi autos are becoming very popular at clay shoots especially with ladies and young un's .

Please when your booking in let the organisers know your new to the sport ,this will give them the chance to put you with a suitable squad who will give you all the help and advice to make sure you have a fantastic day out ,remember EVERY SINGLE PERSON there was in exactly your position at one time ..

Right now get yourself down there and bleddy well enjoy it

Why not try a Sunday 100 registered first see if you like the idea of it will be cheaper to start with.

Tbh at least one person will be willing to show you the ropes in your squad if they know it's your first.

Just go along andps enjoy yourself is the most important thing. Then you can decide how serious you want to get with it all.

I've yet to shoot any competition where at least one of the squad isnt friendly.

Apart from the Essexs where my squad was just full of miserable people on both days. 😉

Why not try a Sunday 100 registered first see if you like the idea of it will be cheaper to start with.

Tbh at least one person will be willing to show you the ropes in your squad if they know it's your first.

Just go along andps enjoy yourself is the most important thing. Then you can decide how serious you want to get with it all.

I've yet to shoot any competition where at least one of the squad isnt friendly.

Apart from the Essexs where my squad was just full of miserable people on both days.

I will give you miserable young boy!