Decoying in the rain

manxman

Going on my annual decoying holiday a week tomorrow. For the first time in 20 years going there, it looks like wind & rain forecast. I'm going come hell or high water, just wondered what the chances of a decent bag are. Normally average 80 - 100 a day. I presume they have to feed every day.

Anyone have much experience of decoying poor weather? I don't.

Life goes on much as normal even if it rains. I have shot in the rain and they still came in no different to when it stopped raining. I don't know what it would be like if it was thrashing down but I wouldn't be shooting in these conditions anyway because I don't like all of the kit getting wet and muddy including the gun the dog and me. It's just too much of a pain in the rear. Unless I have been caught out by the unexpected downpour. As part of my hide equipment I have an old green fishing umbrella that I've cammoed by spraying black patches on it. I have used it to shade the sun & summer heat, the wind, driving drizzle and rain. The only thing is that I have had to have some nylon rope to tie the thing down to keep it under control and not disappearing off across the field. The pigeons have to sit out in the rain no matter how hard it rains.

Edited by fortune

• 3 weeks later...

I peg down my hide and use an old army poncho bungeed up on the poles. I hide in there if the dog will let me, then pop out when the pesky ******* drop in as they often frenzy feed between showers or immediately after a downpour.

If its blowing a hooley, go to the pub instead

If you get showers with breaks in-between, try to just wipe down the decoys as raindrops on top of the decoys can put them off, especially if the sun is reflecting off the droplets, personally I hate getting wet so would rather stay at home, but as the others say, they need to feed and will not let a little water stop them, fingers crossed you get some decent breaks in the weather. :good::good:

If you get showers with breaks in-between, try to just wipe down the decoys as raindrops on top of the decoys can put them off, especially if the sun is reflecting off the droplets, personally I hate getting wet so would rather stay at home, but as the others say, they need to feed and will not let a little water stop them, fingers crossed you get some decent breaks in the weather. :good::good:

That's my experience too with plastic deeks. Fitting Silosocks covers was an improvement.

• 2 months later...