Golden Retriever -Wildfowling

AberFowl

Does anybody on here work golden retriever?

I have always wanted one to use out in the field and on the estuarys.

I have just been offered an 11month old bitch, strong biddable young dog, very intelligent, lots of energy and knows the basics.

My main shooting is wildfowling and decoying pigeons, some flight pond shooting and the odd rough shooting day, rare day on a peg also.

Who here can talk me out of it? I have a lab and pointer, had spaniels etc, always fancied a change from the norm and golden retriever really stand out to me

I have just been offered an 11month old bitch, strong biddable young dog, very intelligent, lots of energy and knows the basics.

My main shooting is wildfowling and decoying pigeons, some flight pond shooting and the odd rough shooting day, rare day on a peg also.

Who here can talk me out of it? I have a lab and pointer, had spaniels etc, always fancied a change from the norm and golden retriever really stand out to me

I had a working golden retriever for my first dog when I was a lad and what a dog she was, it was like she was born ready trained ! Rip Jodie !

Hi

Talk you out of it I shall try 😉

Big strong animals

Webbed feet

Double coat

Air and ground scent

Same colour as Autumn reeds

Swim well

And probably originated from dogs in the Russian tundra

How am I doing? 🤔

51698943-F8D7-4054-8F04-DE68ED27C88F_zps

I've had them for years this is the new pup

Well I tried 😂

Be warned there not labs a little slower to train and bitches are incredibly loyal

All the best

Of

A chap in our club had Border collies he used very successfully as wildfowling dogs to the point when the first one passed away he had another...who'd of believed it? To me, Golden Retrievers seem ideal and I can't understand why they're not seen more on the foreshore, they have a lovely laid back attitude too.

About 20 years ago i was between dogs, and i used my sisters golden retriever for wildfowling for about 3 months to the end of the season, It had done some fiel trialing with my brother in law but little else.

It was a bitch and she was suprisingly good swam well and had a nose as good as it gets, i used to hunt up on the tay a lot more then and in those reedbeds she was mustard.

Good dogs i think i would have one if i found a suitable litter anytime. Tend to be expensive compared to labs.

Where's the biotch from you have been offered and how is she bred?

I have two both young, the dog Ezra is 2 and a half (probably the best dog I'll ever have) and the other a bitch called Betty, shes taking a little longer to train but still a great dog. Both very intelligent, love water and will retrieve all day. Heres a youtube clip of my dog crossing a river, you'll see its fast flowing and he makes easy work of it. Personally I can't ever see myself without a Goldie, definately my favourite of all the retriever breeds.

the bitch at 8months

and another

• 2 weeks later...

Great video lee.

If my little guy turns out as good as that I will be very happy. I didn't get the older dog, bought a pup instead as a litter came up local, the mum and dad work on a local shoot and do a good job so hopefully this boy I have will do the job for me! Along way to go but looking forward to next season and all after with him! Any hints/tips/tricks for training him would be appreciated, only had labs and cockers to work before now!

Great video lee.

If my little guy turns out as good as that I will be very happy. I didn't get the older dog, bought a pup instead as a litter came up local, the mum and dad work on a local shoot and do a good job so hopefully this boy I have will do the job for me! Along way to go but looking forward to next season and all after with him! Any hints/tips/tricks for training him would be appreciated, only had labs and cockers to work before now!

Ey up Aberfowl,

Thank you, they are cracking dogs.

I would advise lots of controlled exposure to all kinds of environments. Introduce them gently to and observe where they are confident and lacking. Don't expect them to be like a lab or spaniel, they are more intelligent (imo) and have a much more generous and kind disposition.

Where are you based I might be able to advise you of someone who can help?

What's his kc name please, I'm a geek like that.

There's a lady called Kirsty Cousins, she has the best goldies in Scotland and she's in Argyll. I know Aberdeenshire is a big place but if your on the correct side of the county she won't be that far from you but even if she isn't she'll be worth a visit to get some understanding.

Edited by lee-kinsman