Hard Winter Signs

Feltwad

Is nature preparing for harder than usual hard winter ,here where I live in the North-East the hedgerows are covered in berries , most abundance are the hawthorn , also the holly , elderberry , and the rowan , there also are a good crop of acorns and crab apples. Most of these hedgerows have never had berries before for a long while but this year they are laden .It has always been a old folklore in this area that it is a sign of a harder than usual hard winter have other members witness the same

Feltwad

Down here we have an incredible glut of haws but the elder has not produced anywhere near as well as usual. Also the blackberries were very late coming through and a great deal rotted on the bramble before they were ready. Very annoying as I had big plans for elderberry and blackberry wines this year.

I would love a sharp winter, God knows I could do with one to kill off the plague of slugs we have had the last couple of years, but I have given up on reading anything into the old signs as they dont seem to hold up anymore.

Down here we have an incredible glut of haws but the elder has not produced anywhere near as well as usual. Also the blackberries were very late coming through and a great deal rotted on the bramble before they were ready. Very annoying as I had big plans for elderberry and blackberry wines this year.

I would love a sharp winter, God knows I could do with one to kill off the plague of slugs we have had the last couple of years, but I have given up on reading anything into the old signs as they dont seem to hold up anymore.

Snap to this Zapp

hedgerows loaded around here............the leaves on my trees are all still very green......grass has slowed down growing now...and there are still bats in the evening...........dont want a hard winter but would like some vicious frosts to set the balance right..........

Haha beat me to it, think about it logically. The trees don't produce seeds to feed wildlife, makes no difference to them how hard the winter is, the quality of the harvest reflects how well the tree has been able to grow and have spare energy to produce fruit. We have had a long dry summer over here in Suffolk and the sloe crop is particularly poor

Wishfull thinking, I like bad winters like all of us but it wont be it will be warm and wet, and a winter of sorts will start on the 21st of february and last till mid may just like all the other years.

Every decade we might get a bit of frost and snow one year thats about it, get your gortex out dust it off your going to need it.

A good berry\acorn crop is not a sign of a hard winter coming. It means that when the tree was in good condition to produce plenty of flowers, and the weather was good for the insects to pollinate , plus conditions were good for the seed\fruit to grow in the summer \ early autumn. The acorn crop is not good in my part of the country ( Norfolk) and the haw berries very variable with a few bushes full of them , but many with none at all. All down to the timing when they came into flower. Just saw my first redwings today, about on time , but I have seen big numbers before on October 1st and early birds in mid September. Saying mother nature knows what is coming is rubbish. The only time you can be sure if we are going to have a hard\mild winter is after its over.