Personal best!

motty

This week I spied with my little eye, some things beginning with 'P' - and lots of them. These were a couple of fields over from where I shot 144 over beans recently. This new attractive looking field was also beans, but a nice freshly cut one. I had planned to shoot the same field as before, as the main flightline passes over it, and birds were still using it.

The freshly cut field looked the best option. Unfortunately, I didn't have permission. I did have a number on my phone of a bloke who I thought may know who farmed said field. It turned out that the bloke I phoned was the farmer, and granted permission. Yes!!

Muncher was with me. We both quickly drove over to the field and across to a likely spot. Pigeons were everywhere! It didn't take long to build a hide on the corner of the spinney and set out 20 dead birds from my bag of 105 on barley stubble on Wednesday. A magnet was placed a few yards to our left.

As soon as we were ready, so were the pigeons. It was a 9.30am start and it was pretty much non-stop action. Wave after wave of pigeons piled towards the decoys. Some of the bunches were at least 50 strong, and often went away with 3 or 4 of their number missing.

The early rain had long since departed, leaving a decent, dry afternoon. The conditions were just how I like them.

We were averaging a pigeon a minute for large parts of the day - as such it didn't take long to get to the 100 mark. We both shot pretty well, but I only managed one 'proper' triple. We both had a few delayed 3 for 3 efforts, though.

The young birds were out in force, but plenty of fully grown birds were being shot, too.

We both thought if things continued as they were, 300 was easily achievable. We flew past that target. Our personal bests were then surpassed, and we set our sights on 400. Unfortunately, we did not quite reach it, but the day will live long in the memory. The total was 391.

As an aside, the bloke at the game dealer's reckoned they are taking in around 1000 pigeons a day at present.WP_20161008_0011_zpsiwrw4t2p.jpgWP_20161008_0071_zpsvfwwzojd.jpg

Congratulations on your new P B , it is certainly going to take some beating but I am sure the 400 + bag is well within you boys capability.

We were game shooting today and saw loads of pigeon on an old bean field that had been drilled with wheat but sadly the whole area is a no go area till February .

Cheers for the comments, gents.

Konnie, I did wonder how many pigeons we had seen yesterday. I also wondered how many times some of the pigeons came back to the field to try and feed.

I did get some film of the day. I only had one fully charged battery for my camera, though. Hopefully I have enough decent footage to make a video.