Pattern master code black choke

brownshooter222

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so i am hearing nothhing but good things about them, if i were you i would invest in one in a hearbeat.

but debate on here has the expert shooters saying otherwise.

They just run the flushest mod choke the factory threw in the box when they bought the gun, and clear the forshores of geese and ducks. .

I think so i am hearing nothhing but good things about them, if i were you i would invest in one in a hearbeat.

but debate on here has the expert shooters saying otherwise.

They just run the flushest mod choke the factory threw in the box when they bought the gun, and clear the forshores of geese and ducks. .

I think you are being unfair. I believe the topic you are talking about was mainly focusing on external chokes and lead shot.

There as been so many threads , regardless there is an ellement here that dont acept extended chokes with internal geometry superior to short flush chokes improve patterns any regardless of shot type employed, each to their own ill use what works regardless.

Hi

Got black duck and goose chokes

I bought them on a whim as I'm not a tight choke fan however gave them a bit of a try and found good results

The best was putting 2000 21 and 24 gram cartridges through them (corporate clay days )

Invicter plus full or three quarters bottom barrel pattern master duck or goose top

Regularly broke clays in the 50...60 yard area convincingly and surprised me with such a small amount of shot

The invictor plus choked barrel did not perform as well

So yes they do in my opinion do what they say on the packet

All the best

Of

My own opinion, having just gone through the same. I was set on a patternmaster code black goose, but after reading loads of reviews online decided against it. Mainly due to its selling point, the stud ring. The whole choke relys on this. There is no constriction. When that wears out its kaput. Plus it's pricey, so got a kicks hi flyer, a more conventional choke, for near enough 1/2 the price.

Mind you,I did get 3 chokes with the gun and they work just fine too.

Just my tuppence.

Edited by Highlandladdie

A Wee word of warning but there is loads of folk getting replacement pattermasters under warranty, I know they aren't strictly constriction chokes but folk have found them opening up with use, some clever clogs measured on at the start and end of the season and it had started to open up fr some reason and found a difference, then the flood gates opened apparently! Quite a few folk having the same problem!

I am sure 90% of people will not know the difference between Factory and aftermarket unless told .... power of marketing and brain suggestion....

Mind, i am not saying they are not improving the pattern...but i'm sure they're not 'guiding' your pellets to the quarry if you miss your shot or adding 30-40% to your pattern either.

Having tested some (my brother is some sort of a choke freak with chokes for every day of the season) i think the differences aren't decisive.... and for the price, i stick with what i'm given with the gun.

Surely, in most wildfowling (or shooting) situation, if you shoot 'straight' and within your gun/cartridge combo's range, you'll land your qurry.

that's only my opinion so, if you feel you gaining something, well...stick with it :lol:

Continental Shooter when you pattern aftermarket chokes and compare the patterns to the factory chokes you can see where the benefits are. Not all are better if shooting Teal over decoys a factory 1/4 choke and size five or even seven shot carts will be as good as any aftermarket choke. It's only when you get to bigger shot at distance aftermarket chokes come into their own.

Continental Shooter when you pattern aftermarket chokes and compare the patterns to the factory chokes you can see where the benefits are. Not all are better if shooting Teal over decoys a factory 1/4 choke and size five or even seven shot carts will be as good as any aftermarket choke. It's only when you get to bigger shot at distance aftermarket chokes come into their own.

This is where i think a lot of the confusion stems from when people clain aftermarket chokes dont offer significant advantages over Factory choking in most guns, they simply dont hunt at the ranges some of the more proficient hunters do through choice or nassesaty.

Many although probably reasonably profficient shots technicaly, simply dont have the desire or capability to take longer range shots at waterfowl, and they never explore or impliment changes to their gun ammo choice or tecnique to enssure those long mallards for sake of debate come down clean, they are ignorant of the fact that a change of choke tube and or load can turn that unscathed apparently untouched passing duck, into a clean kill.

Long range shotgunning for anything is not in everyones remit, but even for those with the ability they cant do it without good usable patterns at long range, these are not guaranteed by screwing an x choke in a gun, but they can be a big help in accheving what you need to have an edge and be profficient at longer range.

What do we call long range and has anybody bothered to video/photograph these chokes' patterns next to the equivalent factory choke ? It is nassesarry that we do this before salivating too much.

One minute we're being told long shot strings is what we need :rolleyes: the next someone is making chokes that shorten the string :lol:.

What do we call long range and has anybody bothered to video/photograph these chokes' patterns next to the equivalent factory choke ? It is nassesarry that we do this before salivating too much.

One minute we're being told long shot strings is what we need :rolleyes: the next someone is making chokes that shorten the string :lol:.

This lad took the time to video his tests i tend to see things pretty much as he does. Hes on the money in my opinion. He answes your missgivings about shot strings, and i like him do endorse this product, and i too am not on SRMs pay roll either just telling it like it is. Never take my .720 terror out only for F steel which i rarely use, then i run a tighter .705 Terror due to the velocity i drive F steel at in my Tens.

Edited by TONY R

Just as I thought :) we have a nonsensical three shot sequence on paper and one of a live goose being killed and the writer convincing himself that he has something special in his hands ! There is ZERO proof that the standard patterns wouldn't have killed just as well, if anything the Terror choke one looked terrible.

Sorry but that wasn't a test :rolleyes: .

The Oct issue of Sporting Shooter has an article in which Andy Crow waxes lyrical on the Code Black, well worth reading if you can and I quote :

The secret of Patternmaster chokes is not in tightening the spread of the shot - in fact the patterns on this choke are said to be comparable to ImpCyliner - but in shortening the shot string . It does this by way of a 'stud ring' within the choke, an integral part of Patternmaster's 'wad-stripping' technology. The choke pauses the wad momentarily (don't laugh) :lol: , allowing the shot to exit the gun unimpeded, and according to Patternmaster, this shortens the shot string by up to 80%. The result ? More pellets arriving on target at any one time, delivering more energy and giving cleaner kills at longer ranges.

If you have an ounce of sense or alternatively a little bit of experience in shooting matters, you will know that the above is just gibberish, horlicks, nonsense, rubbish, all unproved. You can say what you like but it's all hot air unless you can actually prove it.

There is only one way to prove these claims and that is prolonged testing on paper (meaning at least 10 shots each of various chokes) and THEN even more prolonged testing on live game such as pigeon. Here I offer £500 to anyone Andy included who can prove in blind testing that the better kills are indeed attributable to the choke and nothing else. The way this is done is at least 2 days hide shooting where two comparable ability shots are paired up one using Code Black beer.gif.pagespeed.ce.fMEqQ2RI_x.gif the other the equivalent (patterning) standard choke with the same shells. They will shoot without knowing which choke they have in their gun and this will be changed at least once during the day. If and when after at least 100+ birds being killed over the 2 days at longish range it can be seen beyond reasonable doubt that Patternmaster physically kills better then he walks away with £500 and my admission of being wrong. If no quantifiable difference is noted then I get £500. I would of course be up for being paired myself but if distances prove difficult then I would be happy to see certain PW members who I know are good pigeon shots going instead, essentially backing people I've never even met.

Don't be fooled, there is no such thing as a better choke, they're all random the only difference being tightness which you can control via swapping to a tighter choke.