Double Beans

kippylawkid

I had been eagerly waiting on 5 bean fields on our syndicate shoot being cut as pigeons had been feeding on them for a number of weeks.

The first field was cut last Friday and I was compelled to shoot the following day as it was my only chance. I set up in a bale hide slap bang where I thought I should be. I started well and birds committed to my whirly, FF5 and 6 dead birds from the start. The birds then stopped decoying as readily and the line shifted. The picture is from this day and shows a line of trees where I should have moved to but kept on getting a shot just as I was about to move. Lazy or stubborn I'll let you guess, I ended up with 55 and thinking what might have been.

The keeper on the shoot kindly let the birds build up all week for me and with a similar wind I set up on the same field but hopefully in the right place. There were unusually big packs of birds for this time of the year, with a lot of young birds that decoyed very well to the rotary. I shot from 1100 to 1700 and picked up 92. My pup Stan was a patient spectator on both days and performed some decent retrieves now and again to keep him interested.

I'm hopeful that the fields will shoot again as there are big numbers in the area.

post-305-0-12206700-1476045022_thumb.jpg