Kwik-Fit ****

bruno22rf

Rang "Just Tyres" for a quote on Sat morning and was told £176 was the best they could do for a particular Tyre that I needed but suggested that I ring back if I got a cheaper quote elsewhere. Rang K-F in my local town and was told £144.99 and they had just one on the shelf. As the "Just Tyres" chap had been so polite and was slightly closer to me I rang him and told him about K-F 's price and he informed me that he would ring K-F to confirm and then beat the price. About 10 minutes later he called back to tell me that the chap I spoke to at K-F totally denied the price and quoted £176 (same as JT's) for the tyre and thus insinuated that I was a liar. To say that I was miffed is an understatement and I asked him to call them again to be certain, again the JT's chap received the same answer - £176.!! Feeling a bit cheeky I rang a different branch of K-F and was quoted £135. :hmm: . Had the tyre fitted 20 minutes later for just that amount - bought a tyre from you guys at Kwik Fit but your really are a bunch of pancake flippers. :no:

I went to kwik sit for a price on some tyres (Michelin)

"£150 each sir and in stock"

"Nah it's ok they are £114 at Costco "

"I can do them for £117"

"I'll go to Costco your alright"

"oh " looks shocked

Never been back since.....

Ha.. I give ip them ages ago,same witb National tyres.. the last straw with NT was when I took a Lexis in with a nail in the tyre a good 3 inch from the side. The guy(well child) said it wasn't repareable and I needed a mew tyre. Just to top it off he said they tyre was too old.in fact after careful inspection said that all 4 needed replacing as they were 5 yeats old..

I found this funny as I had had all of the tyres replaced by them just after I bought the the car 2 years ealier. After explaining this I asked if he would replace them free as I had been sold unfit goods. After several minutes of embarrassed mumbling he decided he'd made a mistake.

I Wonder how many unsuspecting people they con.

Anyway, went to an independant round the corner who repaired the tyre for £15.

Ha.. I give ip them ages ago,same witb National tyres.. the last straw with NT was when I took a Lexis in with a nail in the tyre a good 3 inch from the side. The guy(well child) said it wasn't repareable and I needed a mew tyre. Just to top it off he said they tyre was too old.in fact after careful inspection said that all 4 needed replacing as they were 5 yeats old..

I found this funny as I had had all of the tyres replaced by them just after I bought the the car 2 years ealier. After explaining this I asked if he would replace them free as I had been sold unfit goods. After several minutes of embarrassed mumbling he decided he'd made a mistake.

I Wonder how many unsuspecting people they con.

Anyway, went to an independant round the corner who repaired the tyre for £15.

Would never use them again..

Some years back had a New front tyre fitted,at 176 miles of driving on it,l was heading for Cornwall,,Just this side of Bristol,The tyre blew out at 45 miles an hour..

Went to an independent garage just off the Motorway,who directed me to one of there stations just up the road..Showed them the reciept for the night before time it was fitted..

They charged me 3/4 of the tyre cost saying it had been worn on the car, so could not give me a New one with out charging me..

Never go there again,,They said I had probably been going too fast,and overheated the tyre specs..

45 mph,, I always warm my tyres up on motorways before getting going at speed..

Load of Wallys,Will never go near the place again,,or ever recommend them,,..No Chance..

I have to use KF with my company car but wouldn't trust them as far as I could kick them. Was once waiting for tyres to be fitted to my car when guy came into waiting room to explain to an elderly lady they had had to fit new discs and pads to her car for its mot. She explained she had recently had her car serviced and was sure they had fitted new brakes. The guy said he could see that new brake pads had been fitted recently but the discs were worn dangerously low and had to be replaced and they couldn't use the old pads. The lady thanked them and paid the horrendous bill!!! They do that all day long and most just smile and pay!!

They ripped off a woman I work with. She went in for a puncture repair and they told her she need all 4 tyres replaced without showing her tread guage or anything. She said the car had passed MOT a month earlier with no recs on tyres but they still badgered her into forking out £360. Bandits, do not trust them.

I once went to quick flip asking for the price for an exaust for a punto. They quoted 120. Told the bloke the cars worth less and he shrugged his shoulders. Told him I'd rather torch the car than give him 120 quid.

They also put a slash in a tire wall so I had to replace it. Needless to say they didn't get my custom.

I will not touch them..they nearly had me a few years ago over my tyres but my local garage had a look and said were fine...

They nearly conned a good friend of mine....bumped into her on the way to the cash machine..got talking and she has a nail in the tyre and KF said cant repair and all the tyres need replacing anyway.....so I had a look and all had 6-7mm on them..only been on a year ....they quoted her £640 for a vx astra...and were kind enough to let her pay half today and half tomorrow!!!!!..so i went back down with her....end of the story..they repaired the nail free after a few choice words in the garage forecourt in front of other people

A neighbour went and had a tyre replaced and whilst there they suggested he have his suspension checked by them, "sure go ahead" he said and they duly did; recommending he have it all replaced as it was badly worn and dangerous "go ahead" he told them and they did. Replacing all for shocks and springs.

They then said that will be x pounds please and be produced a receipt for the work they had carried out not 2 weeks earlier at another branch.

Would never go to another one after that.

We think because it was covered in mud etc they thought they would try their luck and it backfired badly.

My understanding is the technicians also get commission on bits they flog whilst working on your car. Not my idea of a customer friendly garage.

Had a local company replace a tyre and they picked up that I had an odd size on the front :unhappy: they changed that one too, after I told him they had fitted it 4 months earlier he checked records and found invoice stating same, i said I would pay for a tyre when you refund me for the other ,they didn't and I didn't never been back since :lol:

It's not just KF, my local VW main dealer tried stinging me for over £800 worth of work that they flagged as dangerous, such as brake pads at 70% worn. Discs corroded around the edge so needed replacing as worn out. I asked them for the measurements and they said they don't work to minimum thickness, they go on how it looks.

You are right, its not just Kwik Fit that's like it, all the chains are exactly the same. There is a place near us called Motor Inn that should be closed down by trading standards. Its an American franchise I believe and the staff employ American sales techniques to talk people into having things done that are unnecessary. One of their favourites is your brake fluid needs changing.

Watch out for that one, that's the latest scam.

Edited by Vince Green

I went to Elgin branch several years ago, wife drove car in for a "free" brake check, wife took car in alone, I went to grab a take out Burger, walked in to find wife upset , young grease monkey had told her Passat needed new discs & Pads on front, car jacked up with wheels off, he had told her he was not going to allow her to drive the car away without having items replaced, I had a look all O/K ,not even any appreciable pad wear, told G/M that I advised him to get car down rather rapidly as there did not seem to be any KY Jelly on the jack handle,unsurprisingly he obliged, the hazards of a lone woman meeting the wrong person.

i think kwik fit is well over priced not just that lads i remember watching something on the TV think it might of been watch dog or some think but there conduct on how they do things were in question i remember around 6 years ago i went there for one tyre for a NISSAN MICRA tiny little wheels i was quoted around a 120 for one tyre micra not a bmw i jest you not even as a new driver back then i knew they were taking the mick i think there crappy tyre was a least 80 pound i just turned around and walked out rang a one of those guys with a van he come out fitted the new tyre and it was a perraily probably spelt that wrong but one of those decent tyres it cost 50 pound

Edited by kory1986

You are right, its not just Kwik Fit that's like it, all the chains are exactly the same. There is a place near us called Motor Inn that should be closed down by trading standards. Its an American franchise I believe and the staff employ American sales techniques to talk people into having things done that are unnecessary. One of their favourites is your brake fluid needs changing.

Watch out for that one, that's the latest scam.

If it actually needs changing, and its done correctly that's good as it absorbs moisture over time lowering its boiling point.

Not defending KF or motor inn, just brake fluid changes.

Jon, 27 yrs fixing cars (not a KF fan)

Edited by defender