Bl#*#y Horses and Pheasants!

bunny_blaster

Sunday I headed out looking for pigeons which seem to be few and far between in this area at the moment. I drove everywhere and as I thought might happen I found nothing worth setting up for. I then headed to a farm which has lots of oak trees in a field of cut maize. When I arrived I watched approximately 400 birds feeding. I went and spoke to the farmer but he asked me to leave them as it would disturb the Pheasants. Feeling annoyed I carried on looking and after an hour I came to a piece of land I shoot which has been planted with 5 fields of Mustard. The first 2 fields had roughly 200+ birds feeding so I rang the land owner but no answer. I headed up the road to the other 3 fields and to my amazement watched 800-1000 pigeons feeding across the 3 fields with birds joining all the time. This land had drawn every pigeon in the area to it. I drove to the landowners house who keeps some very top end horses and asked if it was ok to shoot only to be told the neighbouring farm had been shooting the day before and the horses where very spooky so asked if I could leave it this weekend to let them settle and come back next weekend. GUTTED!!! Time was now getting on and I came across a big field of drilled wheat with 150-200 birds feeding. This farm also has a pheasant shoot on it but the farmer was happy for me to shoot. I set up and the first shot lifted the flock and they went off in one big cloud. A few birds returned but no big numbers. I packed up at 4.30 to let the game birds come back to roost. I picked up 45 pigeon and a crow. I'd covered 85 miles during the day.

Cheers

Ben

image.jpg1_14.jpg

Well done Ben, you managed to shoot some in the end. As you know I was restricted to one days shooting due to a wedding invitation . I covered one hundred a twenty five miles on Friday and found nothing to set up for due to pheasants and spooky birds which as you walked them off the field they just lifted in a flock , flew round the field and off. I retraced my previous route and nothing had returned to the watched fields. This is the first BLANK that I've had in twenty five years so I hope it's twenty five years till the next but I will ninety three by then and passed caring????????

Well done Ben, you managed to shoot some in the end. As you know I was restricted to one days shooting due to a wedding invitation . I covered one hundred a twenty five miles on Friday and found nothing to set up for due to pheasants and spooky birds which as you walked them off the field they just lifted in a flock , flew round the field and off. I retraced my previous route and nothing had returned to the watched fields. This is the first BLANK that I've had in twenty five years so I hope it's twenty five years till the next but I will ninety three by then and passed caring????????

This is the first time I've shot more than PC and will probably be the last time for the next 25 year :D

I shoot Pigeons on a commercial Game Shoot and regularly have Pheasants and Partridges feeding close to my hide whilst I am shooting. It has no effect on them, they know when they are safe and when they are not.

I explained this to the farmer with the maize this but he didn't want to risk it. The farmer who let me shoot in the end realises it doesn't effect them until you start shooting them.

This year is the first year my pheasants have freaked at the sound of someone shooting, not really sure why but they did, over several occasions, in the end I asked the guys shooting pigeon to use subsonic shells, the guys protested a bit until I run some figures past them and the chance of them being asked to leave the land.

What type of horses ?

The local shoot near where my Mrs keeps hers put dates up of the pheasant shoots which they find very helpfull. They all actually get on very well in the community, though you will always get the odd plonker that think there higher than the almighty, both shooter and rider's. The countryside is for all to enjoy.