Fowlers From The Past

Feltwad

Enclosed are a couple of images of past fowlers in both Flint and Percussion in all bore sizes .Notice the long barrels this was to burn the large charge mostly due to the black powder which was not has strong has todays black powder. This type of gun is not often seen on the foreshore today but in their heyday they were what is known has tools of the trade for which those Victorian fowlers made their living when wildfowling was in season

Feltwad

Astand of fowlers including punt guns

P1010012-9.jpg

A stand of Mostly 6 an8 bore fowlers

P1010011-12.jpg

Edited by Feltwad

Feltwad.... The gun in the middle with the small hole in the stock , would the hole had been used to put a recoil rope on if used from a gunning punt ? ,......... although I am not sure if it look big enough to take a recoil rope.

I would say that this is a small punt gun for inland waters {ings} it is too big for a bank gun although the hole is smaller than usual ,could it have had more support using a bootjack?

Feltwad

I would say that this is a small punt gun for inland waters {ings} it is too big for a bank gun although the hole is smaller than usual ,could it have had more support using a bootjack?

Feltwad

THANKS Feltwad you might well be right , I went and looked at one in the summer , it was a 4 bore and was used as a small punt gun on inland waterways ( possibly the Broards ) it had a metal swivel stanchion around the breech block that fitted into two rings in front of the cockpit in the punt which would have then been able to elevate up or down when fired plus if I remember rightly it had a large hole in the small stock to take the recoil rope , if I can find the photo I will pass it on to you. I have got to stop looking at them, as I keep dribbling around the mouth and keep checking the increase in the state pension . :lol:

Enclosed is a image of a stand of flintlock conversion percussion fowlers mostley used on inland waters bore sizes are 8 to 11

Fantastic looking guns and they are still used awsome stuff

Feltwad

P1010013_zps9c78b111.jpg

Although these guns have been restored they are never shot ,their history goes way back to the late 1700s and the early 1800s they are part of our heritage we hold them in trust for future generations .

Feltwad