Warm (winter) Skeet Jacket

Chris Bb

I'm looking for a warm jacket for clay shooting in winter. Large cartridge pockets needed plus RH/ambidextrous gunmount patches. With or without arms, wind and moderately waterproof. Don't want to pay silly prices just for a "name", Musto et al take note. Size large: 40/42".

Deerhunter Range GT looked good but seem to be unavailable.

Any suggestions, make and stockist?

Not actually a clay jacket but an idea. I was in Aldi a week or two ago and they had some lightweight fleece gillet type coats for about £8. Mine is just in the wash at this moment as my wife finally managed to prise it from my body. I wore it at the weekend under my shooting vest on a driven day and it was very warm and thin enough you didn't notice it. It would go under a normal skeet/clay vest with little or no excess to impede gun mount.

With over 55 years and quite a bit of Competitions experience behind me, I have come to the conclusion that the 'perfect' shooting jacket has yet to be made. I have had countless jackets and tops from golf waterproofs through to purpose made clay shooting jackets and overtrousers. I have settled on a compromise. In VERY cold and wet weather, I use a Musto Gore-Tex purpose made clay shooting jacket, it is a great fit, 100% wind and waterproof, double cartridge pockets and a zipped inner pocket. They retailed at £300 when new, but I paid £100, brand new, as a discontinued range ! Downside, if you are doing any walking in anything over 10 degrees, you will end up like a 'boil in the bag' chicken, literally. I am currently using an extremely light, 'fold into it's own pocket' waterproof, breathable jacket (with fold away hood) by Rohan at £63. It is also great to carry for ANY outdoors activity, including shopping. Downside, it is bright red in colour (only for clayshooting) !. Worn under a mesh skeet vest (holds less water) and coupled with the Rohan waterproof trousers at £50, I stay dry and shoot in comfort, it also takes up very little space in my range bag. Under these jackets I now tend to wear the technical, 'quick wicking' base and middle layers that climbers and walkers use. They are very warm, light and thin. I use these under a waterproof top coat when pigeon shooting too. For game shooting I use a Musto Highland that is some 15 years old and still totally waterproof.

Have a look at any of the current 'named' climbing/walking fold away jackets and waterproof walking trousers (NOT overtrousers) and wear a mesh type skeet vest over the top. That will allow you to shoot comfortably in a wider range of temperatures than just one waterproof shooting jacket. Even when soaked, my mesh skeet vest dries in around an hour. Most jackets take a good deal longer, but they are usually more wet on the INSIDE !

Definitely look at walking/outdoor gear as anything with `shooting` in it`s description will be 4-6X in cost !

I`ve had good results with Berghaus and Craghoppers gear and as Westley has said,look at lightweight layering systems as

they really are good and you maintain freedom of movement with them.

Just wear whichever vest you prefer over the top !

Edited by matone

Westley is your jacket the Musto navy blue one with black leather on the front and a stretchy bit across the shoulders as this is the one i have and its a good jacket bar i catch my gun on the leather as my pad is sticky rubber.

I have found it best to wear a game shooting coat for clays in winter if wet and cold,if just wet a thin waterproof jacket under my clay vest.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

As luck had it I wandered into my local (recently refurbished) gun shop and found a "Seeland" skeet vest at a very reasonable price. A green denim type fabric which should be fairly wind proof and I'll treat it with water proofer. The only thing was, these must be made in China as I had to buy a 2XL to fit me (40" chest), thankfully I didn't buy mail order or I'd have been sending two back for replacement.

I don't shoot when it's really nasty as I don't like getting my guns wet so this should do me and I do always carry a foldaway plastic waterproof jacket in winter. With either a thick jumper or a fleece this should meet my needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Westley is your jacket the Musto navy blue one with black leather on the front and a stretchy bit across the shoulders as this is the one i have and its a good jacket bar i catch my gun on the leather as my pad is sticky rubber.

I have found it best to wear a game shooting coat for clays in winter if wet and cold,if just wet a thin waterproof jacket under my clay vest.

Sorry for delay in replying. No, it is the black Gore-Tex one with leather trim, I think it is called the Championship Jacket, it is unlined and they sold for £300 rrp when new. Some advice for the rubber pad, have a look in the charity shops for a black, wide soft leather belt. If it is double skinned, split it down to just 1 thickness. Cut to size and shape of the rubber pad and stick it on with copydex glue. This will make gun mount easier. You could always remove the pad and stick the leather to the rear surface after covering the front, a bit like covering a book..

Thanks for the replies, guys.

As luck had it I wandered into my local (recently refurbished) gun shop and found a "Seeland" skeet vest at a very reasonable price. A green denim type fabric which should be fairly wind proof and I'll treat it with water proofer. The only thing was, these must be made in China as I had to buy a 2XL to fit me (40" chest), thankfully I didn't buy mail order or I'd have been sending two back for replacement.

I don't shoot when it's really nasty as I don't like getting my guns wet so this should do me and I do always carry a foldaway plastic waterproof jacket in winter. With either a thick jumper or a fleece this should meet my needs.

Glad you are sorted, agree entirely with sizings, all of my trousers are the same !! :lol: