Company car advice

HDAV

So suggestion from one potential employer is £18-20k car purchase or £450-500 allowance.

Didn't ask about fuel but I guess it's at the 9/11/13p type rates either way?

6k annual allowance is more like 4k after tax (might push me up a band) insurance £500 tax £100 service £200 so £3k on car £250 a month but at least I could Own it after a few years

or pay £2k BIK on a company car (V40/Guiletta/Q30) sort of thing ( really fancy and XC60 or QX30 but probably too much £ and too thirsty)

Small thing but if it's a company car and you smash it up or it breaks down it is there responsibility to sort. If they give you an allowance and it's your car it's your problem so should something happen it's down to you to sort a replacement.

My friend had this problem when her car was stolen and it cost her a fortune to hire a car, the insurance eventually sorted things out but she was still well out of pocket.

Also if you decide to leave the job you are still responsible for the car payments, if it's company car you can just walk away.

Vans are always a bonus as a company vehicle if you only use them for business and getting backwards and forwards to work as they dont count with the tax man as a benefit in kind. You will always lose out if you move to a company car as they dont have that dispensation.

We have just had this on another thread, I get charged BIK on my van and have done for a few years now

We have just had this on another thread, I get charged BIK on my van and have done for a few years now

You must be doing "private mileage" then no private mileage no BIK is how I understand it ( does mean you have to have another vehicle or walk a lot and probably cheaper to pay BIK than own a second vehicle, I don't get the choice so it's walk at the weekends or have my own car as well)