Electric cars.

wisdom

Was behind a 100%electric nissan leaf today, Was wondering how the interior is heated. ? Surely electric heating would kill the battery.Just curious.

Early ones are heated with a resistance heater. It does reduce range considerably. Newer ones are heated with a heat pump. It has less of an impact on range.

A 24 kWh early leaf can still do 45 miles on a charge in the winter. Let's face it that'd do for a lot of people. Myself included. Newer ones are a bit better. 30 kWh ones are better still.

I came very close to getting a leaf as 90% of my driving is short trips, and wife has a diesel for the longer trips.

Edited by BrowningB525

I shall ask my boss in the morning and report back. He had a Nissan Leaf when they first came out. I think he averaged 80 miles on a charge as he had a very heavy right foot.

I enjoyed driving it, but it was very easy to be breaking the speed limit with no engin noise. He now has a Tesla which is like **** off a shovel. :w00t:

There is one for sale with a Leased battery?? is that instead of paying for fuel?

No. You have to pay for ekecticity too. It's more cost effective to jyst lease an electric car. They depreciate like stones as they're more like tech products than cars in how they date.

There was a deal recently where you could lease a 2013 leaf for £99 a month with £99 deposit. For 6 k miles per year. That's less than I pay bin furl commuting.

The battery lease on a non owned battery is like £80 a month. The upside is that it's not your battery if it fails.

Edited by BrowningB525

It all looked appealing until the battery lease for nearly a grand a year was mentioned, what's the expected battery life if you own it? Or cost to replace?

Not all electric cars have the lease.

The batteries seem to be holding up well to be holding up well.

No idea on cost of replacement. Lots.

When I was looking at leading a 3 year old leaf, it still has a year or so warranty left. Thus could be extended for the full term of the least for £500.

Electric cars really are more suited to leasing than buying. Saying that, I'd argue the same for all new cars.

We looked at a leaf a few months ago when the missus looking at a new to us car. It seems you can charge them for free at Nissan dealerships and their chargers a quite quick. You can charge from your house either with a charging point that can be installed for a reasonable amount or use an extension to a socket. It was the range that put us off though, great for work as she just works down the road but if we went to her mums then it gets a bit iffy and a charge would be needed. must be a nightmare if you get stuck in a significant traffic jam. The battery lease would be more than she is paying per month in fuel so a was a thanks but no thanks. We ended up with a new shape Note with all the knobs and whistles on it and it's ok, wont set the world on fire but it is better than her old Sirion. That car was a disappointment after the first Sirion we had. The first sirion was an fspeed auto and that went like **** off a shovel and cost about 300 quid in repairs over 11years, it's still going that car. The new sirion cost us 400 quid in 2 years and there was concern about the steering rack going again (1000 repair) it had already been done under warranty by the previous owner.

Edited by Lord O War