Factory 1oz steel

I have chronoed very few factory anything never mind steel, In fact you are the man when it comes to this johny, But i did acctualy chrono The gameb ore 1 oz clay loads and the 7..8ths oz version and i found as you did the 1 oz was faster than the 7.eigths load.

Now if you could coppy those loads with bigger shot say 3s you would have a not too bad steel load with more velocity than the 32 gram loads they churn out.

Your not going to get any factory loads by any firm that touch any where near lightening steel load manual loads, These were in the 1600fps zone most of them and developed in the field not a pressure gun creation with financial gain as the prime motivation .

My advice is find time assemble your own ammo if you have had good results with Lightening stees loads make them its the only way your going to get what you already know you realy need.

Find time dust off the machine and make em.

Edited by TONY R

Cook off, three companies I mentioned above all make 1oz game loads in steel so it's already happening?

Tony I loaded all the lightening steel loads and never got any of them near 1600fps it just never happened, I asked other fowlers on an old duck shooting forum and they confirmed their results were similar to mines, my 1oz loads went really well detuned to 1450fps but they were punchy. I'm looking for something factory that is maybe not as punch and I can use for walking up pheasants over wetland. Your 100% right though if I could get those gamebore black gold hv steel in shot size 5 -3 they would be a perfect cartridge!

Guest cookoff013

Cook off, three companies I mentioned above all make 1oz game loads in steel so it's already happening?

Tony I loaded all the lightening steel loads and never got any of them near 1600fps it just never happened, I asked other fowlers on an old duck shooting forum and they confirmed their results were similar to mines, my 1oz loads went really well detuned to 1450fps but they were punchy. I'm looking for something factory that is maybe not as punch and I can use for walking up pheasants over wetland. Your 100% right though if I could get those gamebore black gold hv steel in shot size 5 -3 they would be a perfect cartridge!

yeah, you are right.

now they have to be found !

Lightening steel loads do if instructions are folowed and all components are accurate to data work well and make the claimed velocities.

But You need to Have New hulls Crimp start exactly as mentioned hole size with the pencil as the instructions and crimp procedure again as mentioned in the data.

IF you had genuine LOT 12 A steel not a lot 12 c tub with some A 381 thrown in etc etc . you will without any debate make the speeds in that data.

the devil is in the detail in reloading once fired scrub speed off loads twice fired can be worse still, Sizing is again a factor, Its not just a case of assembling the components you have, how you normaly do and with a powder that has A steel wrote on it.

Lightening steel as a good precise explanation on what you need to do to make its designed in performance, Lightening steel 1 was developed on Lot 12 A steel and its what you must use to acchieve its performance.

I have been saying this for long enough on here about published data its only as good as when it was done, A steel as changed a lot over the years, it still does basicaly the same job, but its charebteristics are quite diffewrent these days.

I used to load 50 grains of old lot A steel in a 3 eights oz load in a 10, You could not do this today without issues.Major issues.

Early lot A steel was awesome it made velocity like you would not believe and pressures wewre low and predictable.

Its a slightly different animal today.

Pluss add to this chronos your sail distance its never simple when talking speeds and shotshells as im sure you with your history of testing ammo are only too well aware of.

The gamebore hv steel 28g are 2.5mm steel they produced 1319fps, at around 25yds with a kicks full high flyer they produced this wound channel in a walked up hen pheasant

image_zpscrco5a3c.jpeg

Exactly why i mentioned that spacific load above the shot size is not quite right but performance is pretty good with bigger shot you would be getting a slowish but decent patterning load light and suitable for most guns and shooters requirements.

I dont know what powder they use in them or the weight in grains, if anyone strips one tells me how much is in one i can assembe some with bigger shot exactly, i have a frightening quantity of the powder stripped from umpteen barrels of scrap loads of these cartridges if i knew what powder it was i could probably live to be 200 years old and still not be quite out :lol:

Whatever it is its not too disimilar to M92s on performance, but i cant compare it directly as i dont have aqny M92s now, im thinking its a bit wilder but it shocked me in a ten steel duck load 36 gram RTO old hulls cut down Remingtons, these although i have no ten presure gear and did not have them tested seemed fine, and i used them in hot weather cold weather whatever to try and see a problem but never did.

I think those loads work ok but let down on shot size for longer birds IMO.

I'll open one up tomorrow if you want! I'm goose shooting in the morning but if I'm back early I'll get I'll post it up asap

Awesome i have ...MANY kilos of that powder... Not got a clue what it is though. :lol:

Here is a shot of it sorry for camera quality or lack of it on phone.

CAM01494_zpsirjowvgv.jpg

Edited by TONY R

I was shooting flighting duck last night using mirage trap loads in high velocity steel no 7s. Described on shell as 28 gram no 7s (2.5mm).

All seven duck 5 mallard, 2 teal were stone dead before hitting the pond. Both barrels had 5/8 chokes and no bird was overshot.

I hasten to add all within 30 yds.

I also use these same shells for all of my decoyed pigeon.

I know a lot wont agree but it works for me.