Carlton Moor range

Zetter

Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Calton Moor range. I recently got a brand new .17 Hornet and wanted to see what she could do and shoot the barrel in. So I set off with two friends to Calton Moor range to get used to the rifle in windless conditions and in the dry.

I have been a couple of times before but both my friends had not and wanted to have a go with their .22-250 and .243 respectively. We got a warm welcome on arrival and set up on the tunnel range in the warm and dry (it was raining outside but no bother to us).

I couldn't get my Hornet on the paper at all (it was a big enough board!) after a few shoot and clean cycles so asked Mike who runs the place if I could use the trolley in one of the tunnels to pull the range in a bit so I could at least get on the paper somewhere. But instead Mike offered to boresight in my hornet (I couldn't sort this at all as the bore is tiny to try and boresight at 100 yards) and help me shoot it in for an hour. After a lot of adjustment to the scope he had it bang on at 100 yards and after a few more shoot and clean sessions the rifle produced a group of 1/4" at 100 yards with factory ammo which is spot on.

I cant recommend Calton Moor range enough, if you want to set up your rifle in a nice environment that takes you and the weather out of the equation and the advice you get from someone who knows their onions is second to none.

Robbing ******.

I had booked 2 hours and a mate decided to come and check one of his rifles.

I had the two hours and a mate shot for one....while there he said do ya want to see how fast ya bullets are going? Erm go on then.

Charged us both for two hours and £10 for the privilege of putting a chrono in front of my gun for three shots. No mention of charge when he offered.

Also my mate has been for three stalks and not shot or seen a deer.

Won't be going again.

Robbing *******.

I had booked 2 hours and a mate decided to come and check one of his rifles.

I had the two hours and a mate shot for one....while there he said do ya want to see how fast ya bullets are going? Erm go on then.

Charged us both for two hours and £10 for the privilege of putting a chrono in front of my gun for three shots. No mention of charge when he offered.

Also my mate has been for three stalks and not shot or seen a deer.

Won't be going again.

Lol

Same here.

Chrono was not right anyway. Way off, chucking it down the tunnel in a happy hazard way was hilarious. And when I hand over my hard earned a thank you wouldn't go a miss.

I also know someone that's been stalking over 6 times he's only seen the deer locked up in a pen above the tunnel. Lol

I'd have shot one of them after paying that amount of dollar.

Lol

Same here.

Chrono was not right anyway. Way off, chucking it down the tunnel in a happy hazard way was hilarious. And when I hand over my hard earned a thank you wouldn't go a miss.

I also know someone that's been stalking over 6 times he's only seen the deer locked up in a pen above the tunnel. Lol

I'd have shot one of them after paying that amount of dollar.

Heard very similar things re: stalking being offered!

Catton and Garlands are great value.

I went to the tunnel mentioned once on a journalistic thing but wasn't paying so I didnt know the prices. The deer are in the garden and you are but feet away from them when drinking a cuppa in the clubhouse. I assumed it was 'deer from a fencepost' shooting for DSC experience, is there actual stalking?

Well there is plenty of walking in fields looking

Zetter why don't you come and join us at garlands on the 30th.

£20 for the whole day

Cheers mate that sounds like a plan now I have something longer range I will come up. If you can let me know the payment details/ how to get there I will ping the money across.