Does it matter that I can't shoot both eyes open

nicknsd1978

I was so close last weekend to just calling it a day. I think I'm struggling shooting both eyes open. Some days it seems so natural but others I haven't got a clue what's going on...I know all the focus is to be on the clay but I haven't got where the barrels are positioned so don't know where I'm missing

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a session with a coach at beginning of this year as was having same sort of issue, he got me first of all with both eyes open to see for himself what the problem was and within 10 clays he asked me to close my left eye just as I'm about to squeeze the shot off. Within the two hours I wad with him he got me hitting pretty much every clay presenting angle! His advice to me at the end was to do what I had been doing, since then......touch wood.....i have not had many issues since! I would say spend the money for at least a couple of hours with a coach you will be surprised how much difference there will be!

I found a green fiber optic easyhit bead worked for me as my over the gun right eye could see it but my left eye couldn't,this allowed me to shoot both eyes open to the point i no longer need the easy hit bead. Never had a problem seeing where the end of the barrel was because you get a bit of halo of green in your vision even though your not looking at it.

Yes right hand dominant....had loads of lessons so far probably allot more than most. Thought of trying to put a small opaque patch on my left lens of glasses just large enough to blank out the bead

As said, all things don't work for all people but this works for me. If you do try it, a couple of points that you might find helpful. Keep the patch as small as is possible just so it blots out the last few inches of the barrel. This way you maintain full 3D vision right up until the gun comes into the shoulder and you're about to pull the trigger. When adjusting the position, don't forget to cater for the overhead shot - you might find that it's not quite the same as the other angles.

Now the silly one - and you might need to get a second pair of spec's just for shooting (if nothing else to avoid looking like a p**** walking down the high street) - if like me you reverse the car looking over your left shoulder. You'll probably find out very quickly why you should have taken them off before moving off backwards as Murphy and Sod as ever will get together to ensure that it wasn't a beat up old Landrover but a brand spanking new Range Rover that you didn't see.

I think it will pay to see a someone for a couple of hours to at least get the basic problems out of the way. As for shooting one eye or two it's like discussing cartridges and chokes - everyone has an opinion. I shoot one eye, picking up targets with two eyes and then closing my left eye. It works for me and I'm very happy to do that.

I think it will pay to see a someone for a couple of hours to at least get the basic problems out of the way. As for shooting one eye or two it's like discussing cartridges and chokes - everyone has an opinion. I shoot one eye, picking up targets with two eyes and then closing my left eye. It works for me and I'm very happy to do that.

Likewise with me- left eye dominant and right handed- both eyes on target when mounting and close the left ad I swing through. I think mounting is the most important aspect as it should get you in the right general direction from the outset

I also close one eye, I have a pupil that isn't central in my right eye, so I have no depth perception at all, I'm told I live in a 2 dimensional world, I don't get 3D films at all, nothing happens. By closing one eye nothing changes for me.

I'm a shocking shotgun shooter, but not bad at rifle.

I am fairly new to shooting shotguns and have tried shooting with both eyes open but I am so left eye dominant that when I look with both eyes it is like I am closing my right eye and all i see is the side of the gun as I am right handed. I spot the target with both eyes open then as I mount the gun I close my left eye then follow through the clay and pull the trigger. I am still a complete novice but this seems to be my most successful method of hitting anything.

I shoot a lot of airifles and am used to closing my left eye whilst looking down the scope so dont know if the both eyes open technique just feels so unatural to me because of this.

Ian.

I am fairly new to shooting shotguns and have tried shooting with both eyes open but I am so left eye dominant that when I look with both eyes it is like I am closing my right eye and all i see is the side of the gun as I am right handed. I spot the target with both eyes open then as I mount the gun I close my left eye then follow through the clay and pull the trigger. I am still a complete novice but this seems to be my most successful method of hitting anything.

I shoot a lot of airifles and am used to closing my left eye whilst looking down the scope so dont know if the both eyes open technique just feels so unatural to me because of this.

Ian.

As you are a relative newcomer to shooting, try shooting off your left shoulder that would solve your problems immediately. from Auntie.

In the 25+year's I've been shooting (shotgun, air rifles and rifles), I've always had one eye closed.

A few of us went for a simulated game,/pre-season warm up,/coaching session, a couple of weeks ago and on the last stand the coach asked if I had ever shot with both eyes open, he then said have ago on the next flush, I found it quite natural and broke every clay I shot at.

As part of his coaching/advice to the group, he explained that you don't have to shoot the same as your neighbouring gun as not all shooters are the same. Pick a way of shooting that suits you and if you do miss, miss with style ;)

Many years ago, when I took up clay pigeon shooting, I shot, keeping my left eye closed. I was told that I should shoot with both eyes open. I tried, many times, but failed. So, I persevered with one eye closed, and went on to achieve good results, including representing Wales twice in International DTL, and winning (in my class) the British Open. I agree that it's best if you can keep both eyes open though, as you can pick up the bird/clay much faster.