A quick hello from essex

Danny boy86

Hi mate I do a lot of pigeon shooting in essex and now is a really good time to get out and try and find some shooting as the farmers will be getting hit by the pigeons..... It's been quiet but starting to improve a lot ...

Advise .... Well where do I start ... Buy a shotgun with 1/4 and 1/2 chokes or mult choke gun but I'd stick with the 1/4 and 1/2 that will do everything you want for now ...cartridges use 30 g no6 .. This will do you for almost all your shooting , I use clear pigeon as I think they pattern well and are pretty good value . Buy a quality hide netting and double them up as the more solid the cover the more likely they wont see you before you take the shot . Always if poss position yourself where you have good dense cover behind you when you shoot as this is where the birds see your silhouette moving . Stay still in the hide but you can move just no erratic movements and keep the hands and face covered if you can ...don't buy cheap plastic decoys save up and get the quality end of the market , flock covered is best but nothing beats real birds as decoys. Buy some cradles for your real birds , rotaries are very good some days but can be the kiss of death on others , don't put your decoys out like soldiers all in a line move them around in the pattern , if birds are spooked by the pattern something's wrong so have a change around ... Or they have seen you move ..( more likely ) . Give the pigeons plenty of lead when shooting them , even if you think it's too much as you will be behind with most shots ...trust me you will be . Green clothing , camo etc at all times. Most of all enjoy it ....the first time I went out I used 72 carts for 11 birds ...but thouroughly enjoyed myself amd still get a great buzz from the sport . Pay for a guided day if your finances allow as this will be a fantastic way of learning the do's and donts quickly ...

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...