Cartridge Price Increase

shaun4860

A thousand a week is going some Sian with the cost of clays and travel, my wallet is groaning just thinking about it :lol:

That works out with entries and practice clays with travel costs to in excess of £500.00 per week.

It really is our only indulgence. I am not someone who likes to shop for clothes, I don't like expensive jewellery, I don't go out to dinner, pub (don't drink), cinema etc - I really do prefer to be at home on my sofa in my jim jams. I have had the same Ford Focus for 9 yrs as I couldn't bear to spend money on a new car to watch it decrease as I drive off the forecourt. I prefer to let the car just die naturally on me. So yes it is a lot of money, more than some have in wages a week but who knows how long you have on this Earth so I am going to enjoy what I have worked for and still work for while I can.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you did not interpret my comment as bragging, just fact actually. Don't really need to explain myself but I am at an age now where I can please myself, all big monetary responsibilities almost done, just the child's Uni living costs left really. My gun is a inexpensive Beretta SP1 and I love her and won't change her. I take my own sandwiches to shoots and my own tea. Bragging may not build a score but plenty of time shooting might.

NO, comment was in direct reply to Shaun.

Shooting is also our indulgence,something we do together like yourselves,i try to get 3 cups of tea from one bag :)

Edited by Rupert

Their problem is they like to brag about it at every opportunity,

Shooters bragging about how much they shoot? I cant believe that would ever happen.

If going on about how much you do (on the basis that everyone surely feels the need to talk about every pigeon or fox they shoot like it's a big deal) and name dropping who you shoot with was an Olympic sport we would have had a few gold medallists on here over the years.

EDIT: Not directed at Sian's post either.

Lead prices go up and down, as you may imagine - but the price of lead today is lower than a couple of years ago - see here: http://www.infomine.com/investment/metal-prices/lead/5-year/

But as with any other manufacturing process there are other costs associated with making cartridges so it may well be those other factors that have a greater impact, especially if the components are purchased from overseas. Just a thought that's all.

David

Its any excuse they can use to up the prices, surely all the manufacturers have noticed that its their budget carts that they are selling most of not the mid or top range. This must then tell them that peoples pockets wont stretch to higher priced carts. Hopefully they will think before hiking up the costs.

Sian i was not having a dig in any way, its entirely up to you and anyone else how much you spend on shooting,it just seems a lot to actually put through a gun week in week out monetary wise and my shoulder would protest at that abuse i think.

Some spend a lot more each year on game shooting,and other hobbies.

Heard it was cost of lead - Chinese again buying up huge quantities - coupled with value of pound and possibly manufacturers capitalising on the rumours to add a few quid too. We may see a lot of this where we are dependant upon a) foreign suppliers and b) Remain supporters.

Lead has been flat for about four years. Every time there is a price increase some dealer starts telling everybody its the price of lead.

http://www.infomine.com/investment/metal-prices/lead/5-year/

It really is our only indulgence. I am not someone who likes to shop for clothes, I don't like expensive jewellery, I don't go out to dinner, pub (don't drink), cinema etc - I really do prefer to be at home on my sofa in my jim jams. I have had the same Ford Focus for 9 yrs as I couldn't bear to spend money on a new car to watch it decrease as I drive off the forecourt. I prefer to let the car just die naturally on me. So yes it is a lot of money, more than some have in wages a week but who knows how long you have on this Earth so I am going to enjoy what I have worked for and still work for while I can.

hello, well i hope it will be many many years more shooting together :good:

I was being sarcastic about Eley being English, they should still be making all their own stuff like they did years ago. Maxam own far too many cartridge companies. They now own and have for a few years Caledonian Cartridge Company Scotlands only cartridge manufacturer.

Reminds me of Audi VW Skoda and Seat different names and packaging same basic ingredients.

Over the past couple of months I have gone down to 24 gram clays shells. Which I have to say did take a bit of getting used to. However I love them now and if anything seem to struggle with the 28 gram ( it's a funny old world. )

My point is that in a very loose sort of round about way I have not noticed the price increase as such. 24 grm are around £10 - 15. Cheaper than the same in 28 gram. As for game shells I moved over to decent clay shells for all of my pigeon and crow shooting a long time ago.

I was being sarcastic about Eley being English, they should still be making all their own stuff like they did years ago. Maxam own far too many cartridge companies. They now own and have for a few years Caledonian Cartridge Company Scotlands only cartridge manufacturer.

Reminds me of Audi VW Skoda and Seat different names and packaging same basic ingredients.

Figgy, Caledonian no longer make any cartridges, eley took them over awhile back and now make all the Caledonian brand of cartridges. The company Caledonian Cartridges is now nothing more than a wholesaler of the brand.

We who reload know the situation, with a very fewer exceptions, like gamebore who make shot and plastic wads as per their video on their website the rest import all the components and just assemble the cartridge. So changes that effects the price of the components is going to effect the price of the cartridges and the pound has fallen significantly against the euro and the dollar which is why it does not take a crystal ball for the government to say inflation is increasing.

Only plus is that the pound is expected to remain low even reaching parity with the euro which is good for exports and may be one reason Nissan has decided to continue in the uk.

Over the past couple of months I have gone down to 24 gram clays shells. Which I have to say did take a bit of getting used to. However I love them now and if anything seem to struggle with the 28 gram ( it's a funny old world. )

My point is that in a very loose sort of round about way I have not noticed the price increase as such. 24 grm are around £10 - 15. Cheaper than the same in 28 gram. As for game shells I moved over to decent clay shells for all of my pigeon and crow shooting a long time ago.

In what way did they take some getting used to?

I'm thinking of changing to intercomp from hull super fast