Some advice on first Shotgun

Azz.Parker

Afternoon guys and girls,

Im looking for some advise on what to look for and some ideas on the makes that i should and should not lean towards as my first shotgun.

Im looking for a 12G that will mainly be used on clays on the first year of its life with me, then will be taken out to the field for Pigeons, crows etc. Im a 6'3" big lad and will be dropping by the Oxford Gun Company for a fitting before departing with my cash, but want to see what people suggest in the "Budget" up to £500 price mark.

I have had an offer on a winchester sporting (that's all he gave me so don't know if its a 101 or ...) but i would like peoples thoughts and opinions and also state what your first was and if you still have it.

If you want an O/U then i would get either a lanber or a bettinsoli but if you want a sxs then try and find a good condition AyA no.4.

I have a bettinsoli diamond made in 2007 and it cost £500, before i brought it i had only ever shot beretta, browning, miroku and guerini but imo the bettinsoli shoots just as well as the big brands.

A multi choke ou gives you the best all round option for your specified purposes.

Experience tells me to avoid the Webley and Scott models, but apart from that there are plenty to choose from. Medalist, Nikko, Winchester 101 or the newer Select Sporting range, and especially the Lanber DeLuxe Sporting is exceptional value for money and very underrated.

There may even be early Berettas and lower grade ( it's basically only the wood ) early Brownings in your price range.

500 quid is a dangerous area there are new guns out there for that but a older used gun is probably going to be a better use of that money.

Type of gun everyone says OUs or SxS guns , but its not that simple if you were American you would be brought up with an 870 pump action, and people would be telling you there to get a simple to use pump action, so type of gun is down to what you want to use no one type only here.

Semi autos offer some recoil or to be more accurate abbout this FELT RECOIL reduction over say an OU etc.

FIT. Sure its important and you are not experienced enough to just pick any gun up and adapt to it well enough to be reasonably proficient with it, so you need to try and shorten the odds on a gun that perhaps wont fit you.

The budget? If you hemerage the whole lot on a first gun it may be you dont take to the gun or decide to buy yet another, so if you can get a decent gun and get by with it, save 150 or 200 quid its there for latter, and if you buy wise now you will be ok, but you have to get a half way decent gun straight away.

IMO.. I would look at this gun first. http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/345308-winchester-cheapest-101-30-inch-fixed-choke-on-the-internet-12-gauge/ Its running a bit much choke but sounds not to have a lot of cast to it right or left and 101s are a good gun that fit pretty well for most people, Its in your budget and i think its about the best vallue gun i have seen in a wile.

Another totaly different gun, again on here is this old 1100 skeet gun, its got a spare barrel with cutts on it so with felt wads you could just about get away with one or the other barrel at any disapline your likeley to tackle at your clay ground.

Its going to leave you money too. And 1100s like 101s have a reputation to fit a great many people something i agree with for what its worth.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

Here is that 1100. http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/345333-remington-1100-skeet-two-barrels-12-gauge/

Pretty much spot on advice from TONY R in my opinion although I would steer away from an auto as a first gun. Buy a used branded gun - I would suggest 30" multi choke sporter to give you the best jack of all trades gun. Winnie 101's are fantastic guns but ejectors are becoming a problem on the older ones and spares are in the Rocking horse poo category. Look at the Browning 325 if you can find one or older Miroku's - don't buy a Beretta unless you get the chance to actually shoot the gun - great guns but some people simply cannot get on with the fit. As said - at £500 you could buy a new budget gun but a good used quality gun will outlast it many times over and lose little money if you look after it. Try as many as you can at OGC and then buy privately if you can as it will save you a fortune - take someone with you if you are not confident.

OGC were quite good, had a similar budget to yours and walked away with a Winchester 20g xtr but that was probably 15 years ago though! Doug will make sure that it'll fit and give you a some options either new or SH. What others have said possibly take their advice in the shop on what fits and feels right to you and purchase privately, however OGC used to give you a free lesson with every shotgun purchase, not sure if they still do but it got me confident with the new gun! ATB

OGC were quite good, had a similar budget to yours and walked away with a Winchester 20g xtr but that was probably 15 years ago though! Doug will make sure that it'll fit and give you a some options either new or SH. What others have said possibly take their advice in the shop on what fits and feels right to you and purchase privately, however OGC used to give you a free lesson with every shotgun purchase, not sure if they still do but it got me confident with the new gun! ATB

I know it sounds stupid,but I still prefer buying from a store rather than from joe blogs. Which is completely backwards in saving cash but just the way my mind works..... something about supporting people that are employing people.

First and foremost pick the gun that feels right the minute you pick it up. When you go to choose wear the coat you are likely to be shooting in. A shotgun can feel very different in shirt sleeves than with a sweater under a Barbour jacket. Good advice to not be put off by the longevity of the gun. I have a side by side which is 110yrs old which still does the job in spades. I also have a Bettinsoli double rifle and the quality of workmanship on that would make me look at one of their shotguns should I need one. Finally, if this is your first shotgun, then I would not buy a semi auto. Go for an over and under, try handling as many different ones as you can, shop around, there are hundreds out there which will fit the bill for you. Have fun.

Edited by Walker570

Very old Miroku has its dangers. My better half bought one and it kept intermittently miss firing on one barrel, after a few trips back to the dealer she bought it from they stripped it entirely and found a hairline crack in one of the mainsprings. No spring was available to order at all but they eventually found one somewhere to replace it.

That said the newer ones apparently have excellent parts availability.

Very old Miroku has its dangers. My better half bought one and it kept intermittently miss firing on one barrel, after a few trips back to the dealer she bought it from they stripped it entirely and found a hairline crack in one of the mainsprings. No spring was available to order at all but they eventually found one somewhere to replace it.

That said the newer ones apparently have excellent parts availability.

How old? One Ada rage of buying from a dealer is you do get a warranty but unless it's an ex trap gun that done 500,000 shells I wouldn't worry too much on 3800 or mk38 older 800 and earlier are a bit trickier

How old? One Ada rage of buying from a dealer is you do get a warranty but unless it's an ex trap gun that done 500,000 shells I wouldn't worry too much on 3800 or mk38 older 800 and earlier are a bit trickier

Old enough to predate the serial number based letter codes, I'm not entirely sure what it is.

If you can decode it the serial number is 506267. (under the top lever, no letters)

Edited by Wb123

hello, you are nearer to this gun shop Azz, and check out their feedback, as for oxford, long story :rolleyes:

Have i missed something on OGC? The main reason i was going to go to them i that my boss knows the owner and recommended them - however, now slightly concerned....

I will check out emmet and stone, once the cert finally comes back - i have been told that if i get it back before the the British SHooting show in February then i have done well - what a joke!