Yapping

Same as most things with dogs. When she does it respond with something she doesn't like; smack on nose,squirt with water, tug on lead etc.

She is still young and it shouldn't be too difficult to fix. I'm sure someone much more experienced and qualified will come along soon but it shouldn't be to tough.

My Mrs has a lab/collie that is 4. Had him before she and I met. The number of issues that I have resolved in the last Coull of years is huge.

Latest was that he would yap and whine in the car all the time, she didn't want me to interfere but when I eventually said I had to it was fixed within 3 or 4 journeys. Every time he did it I did something he really didn't like, it worked quickly. Doesn't do it any more and is very calm, just like my pup.

Just my thoughts.

Edd

+1 you are going to have to live with that trait I'm afraid.

Nothing at all you can do. The only thing any of the offered correction techniques will do is spoil the dogs relationship with you.

It might be too much too soon or it might be such an excitable dog. My advice; accept the dog for its faults, we all have em

Edited by lee-kinsman

Do u know if the mother also yapped?

Know of quite a few noisey cockers, owners breed them and end up with noisey pups???? Not saying lls all genetics as training will be the same but other folk that buy the pups also often end up with a noisey dog too. So wether u get it fixed or not think very careully about breeding her.

Can mind hearing a story about 1 of the great spaniel trainers, 1 of his trial dogs would occasionally whimper on the lead in a trial, so u cut a hole in his pocket and would secretly squirt it with his hidden water pistol without the judges seeing it.

I'm going to say something unusual (and fully expecting to be shot down) would an e collar (assuming OP not in wales) used on vibration help in a situation like this if used correctly (and properly acclimatised to dog) on vibrate or bleeper just to distract the dog when it yaps?

Thanks Guys

Shes not been worked at all, except in training and had no expectations of her working until 2017 season. Would not consider removing vocal chords or any other surgical procedures.

No intentions of trialling, but a yappy beaters dogs would be looked on with disdain on the two shoots I work on.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

SC