Any tips for squeezing more guns into a cabinet?

Wingman

A friend has offered me a nice old 12G SxS as he is looking to make space for a new air rile, the best bit about it is all he wants for it is a pint or 2 down the local and he spent a bit of cash on it this year getting it serviced and fettled. Needless to say I accepted gratefully but looking at my 2 cabinets they are already full to their designed capacity. I reckon I might be able to squeeze it it if I top and tail everything but I have a spare A5 barrel that probably would not go in as well. Apart from the obvious go and buy a larger cabinet comments are there are any tips to advice on ways I may be able to squeeze another member of my collection in??

Edited by Wingman

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'd say that if you owned a five gun cabinet and went above that, your insurance company and the police might have something to say about it, if something bad happened.

If you really care about your guns go and get another cabinet, or replace the two with one which has better storage options.

Billy why would the police say somethink about how many guns you have in your cabinet just because its a five gun cabinet it does not mean youcan only store five guns in it.i have eleven in mine its only a seven gun cabinet when the police come the other week he didnt say a word about how many just that i had to up my securite which i have done.

Well I'd say that if you owned a five gun cabinet and went above that, your insurance company and the police might have something to say about it, if something bad happened.

If you really care about your guns go and get another cabinet, or replace the two with one which has better storage options.

I regularly have 2 extra guns and an extra set of barrels in my cabinet above its nominal capacity.

providing they actually fit the FLO is unlikely to pass concern providing you don't breach the "significant number of guns held" which would suggest a higher level of security you will be fine .

tips

1 expect to get not more than 1 extra gun in a 3 gun cab, 2 extra in a 5 gun cab

2 pack the extra guns barrels down between the existing guns .

3 put a gun sock on any gun of value/that you care about

4 plan what lives where so that the gun(s) you use most are to hand and the gun(s) that only get used when your dog's godfathers niece comes shooting with you get hidden in the back corners of the cabinet

Remember when you folks started shooting and went to look at a cabinet.

Yep that'll do, plenty of room for a few more..

Yea rite !!!!!

Now say that again. I've just bought another cabinet the 2 I've got ain't big enough.. ;-) I'm selling the 5 gun to fund the new one.

Edited by Dougy

Rifle with scopes are the worst, But shotguns are easy enough to get a few more in by top and tail them in trial and error will show which guns go in best and in which order and possition.

A mate years ago used to strip the barrels off sxs and ous line the barrels up near with the forends clipped in the barrels, and he had a half inch ply shelf about 35 inch up the cabinet he used to lay the stocked actions in it was a faff getting a certain gun out but he had a dozen or more guns in a five gun cabinet this way.

I've just bought another 7 gun cabinet ( well I've been given :) )

My 7 gun is full with 4 scoped guns and a few 12g.

I started with a 3 gun 17 years ago and as dougy said . I thought that'll do.

I bought my 7 gun only 3-4 years ago and laughed how big it is.

I install my other 7 gun side by side in a few months after I've finished building my shooting room as after 20+ years I've gained so much shooting gear/clothing and I want to start reloading so I've built my own man cave .

Actually, I've just bought *2* 7 guns cabinets. I wanted to replace the small 2/3 gun ones I had by a monster one, but all the monster 10 guns ones are very, very deep and expensive. So I ended buying 2x7 guns ones and bolted them together. Result!

The plans is that I now can get the FAC without my wife needing one. Thats the 'sensible' explanation. The second non-sensible reason is that I now have LOADS of room :-)

Billy why would the police say somethink about how many guns you have in your cabinet just because its a five gun cabinet it does not mean youcan only store five guns in it.i have eleven in mine its only a seven gun cabinet when the police come the other week he didnt say a word about how many just that i had to up my securite which i have done.

i mersey side were i am the feo states 5 gun cabinet is 5 guns max,they are very rigid on capacity when i installed and 2nd 3 gun one feo came out to check and said your ok for upto 8 guns now.

My rifle cabinet is ‘labeled' a 5 gun cabinet. I have three rifles in there, I could fit a fourth one in but nowhere near five. On the contrary my shotgun cabinet is ‘labeled' a three gun cabinet but I could fit five shotguns in it if necessary. If a cabinet satisfies legal requirements, and the local police force, then that cabinet is suitable to hold as many gun as you can practically fit into it.

The security requirements and checks for one firearm should be akin to that of ten.

Actually, I've just bought *2* 7 guns cabinets. I wanted to replace the small 2/3 gun ones I had by a monster one, but all the monster 10 guns ones are very, very deep and expensive. So I ended buying 2x7 guns ones and bolted them together. Result!

The plans is that I now can get the FAC without my wife needing one. Thats the 'sensible' explanation. The second non-sensible reason is that I now have LOADS of room :-)

Splitting the risk, by having multiple "smaller" cabinets rather than one monster, is also referenced in the Home Office guidance leaflet.. but my logic is the same: being able to keep FAC/SG separate makes a lot of sense. I also like having surplus capacity for visitors' guns but that empty space is always very tempting..

It will depend on your area as if the risk is deemed higher (not a lived in part of the house and detected for example) you would need to alarm the garage etc

I did a gun room once in an attached garage that had access via the utility room in the house and no windows, upgrade the door and bricked up the end of the garage (still long enough for the car etc) insulated and extra lighting guns on the walls a workbench and a desk became my study as well.

Unfortunately had to move and not replicated it since.

There is no requirement by law for him to store his Air rifle in a cabinet - a simple trigger lock is ample. As for storing more guns than a cabinet is designed for, it has nothing to do with the police nor your insurance company how many guns you keep in it. As already said - gun socks can be bought for under £8 so buy a load and wrap your guns then top & tail them. Currently have 13 shotguns and 3 rifles in 7 and a 4 gun cabinet.