Could you live without your mobile

Davyo

As title,could you give up your mobile phone.Our canteen today had about 40 sitting having lunch.Although they where sitting in groups there was no conversation what so ever.Should there be places were phones are simply banned.

AHHHH mods can you move this i wasnt paying attension to were id posted this as on my mobile phone "what am i saying"

Edited by Davyo

My mobile phone contract costs me €2 per month plus call fees. It has never gone over €2.50 in a month. Usually the only times I use it are for text messages to and from Little Wife to ask me to bring some bread home or that I'll be home a bit later than usual.

Absolutely not, I couldn't do my job, I run my whole vocation on my phone.

It's fully integrated into student welfare, I stream my lectures via my phone using sharepoint, it's vital.

On a out of work thing, then yes, I could do without it.

What makes me laugh is when you go into any phone shop they ask,"what do you want a phone for?" "Eh i dont know, maybe to make phone calls mate" Then they look at you oddly when you only want a phone to make phone calls.

When they ask my misses what her phone can do,?,,She is quite proud announcing it can actualy make phone calls,,always makes me smile..

i got rid of my phone 7 years ago...it was starting to rule my life......so i wiped it clean burnt the card and havnt touched a mobile since.......i find my life is very very uncluttered.........

oh and it makes me use my brain more............i have to remember things now ...do all calcs in my head..or maybe on paper.......im totally independant now...

Edited by ditchman

Site im currently on no phones allowed,it was hard at first like being offshore but you soon get used to it. Now im even saying im not upgrading my current phone and will look for a cheaper sim only deal.

On holiday recently my phone reception was useless and any service was an extortionate fee,my wifes phone was using her plan same as if she were at home. i found i left my phone plugged into the charger a few times and forgot about it. Bliss nothing to bother me.

i got rid of my phone 7 years ago...it was starting to rule my life......so i wiped it clean burnt the card and havnt touched a mobile since.......i find my life is very very uncluttered.........

oh and it makes me use my brain more............i have to remember things now ...do all calcs in my head..or maybe on paper.......im totally independant now...

Did you remember you still owe me 50 quid?

Yes. Would I want to? No.

I'm self employed and conduct almost all of my business ( emailing galleries, printer, contacting other artists and students re' workshops etc) via my mobile. I could do it via other means but having a mini computer in your pocket makes life so much easier.

Although I've got one, I rarely use it to call anyone. They usually call me. I don't really have a need for one and we lived our lives without one but only last night I went out and left it at home. I was half way to where I was going and I realised that I didn't have it with me. I realised that If I broke down or had a problem then I had a bit of a problem seeing as I had a weapon with me. Years ago I even went pigeon shooting when the wife was nearing due date without a mobile. Now this is no different to years ago but we have got to a point of reliance upon this technology. It's a bit like smoking. no one needs to smoke or even to feel the need to have a fag in their mouth but millions feel this need. A bit like why some feel the need to fumble about with worry beads. A habit or convenient necessity?

I'm not too sure; there have been situations where I've not had access to my phone - 5 day exercise when I was training with the TA and on holiday where I've had no internet or signal, I've just got on without it really, And was able to 'live' without it.

If I had a choice, now way would I get rid of it! I am on it a lot and I consider it a Luxuary to be able to keep in contact with my family, my girlfriend and friends whenever I like and look at things online that I enjoy - for example, pigeon watch on the train to uni, or car reviews or camera stuff etc! I would miss being able to do that, it makes the time pass and I can look at stuff that I enjoy looking at whilst doing something I don't massively enjoy!

Just my thought, I'm 21, too for reference and that is my honest opinion and experience.

Dave