Bonfire night, fireworks and gun fire training

fitzy

Hi,

I've a six month old puppy that hasn't yet been introduced to gun fire. So far she has taken everything in her stride. I'm just rather anxious about Bonfire night and fireworks. I don't want such an experience to make her gun shy. There's an excellent sticky on the subject of introducing a dog to gunfire but wondering whether I can expedite her training? I don't have a starting pistol but do have access to a dummy launcher. She's my first dog so have no prior experience. All advice gratefully received.

Edited by fitzy

If you are worried how she will react to fireworks get a DAP diffuser plug in for the room she is in or the DAP aerosol.

Not sure on the age to introduce them to gunfire as our gundogs were rehomes and adult when we got them.

Someone with more experience with puppy training should be on soon and will tell you I am sure.

Fireworks are different. I have had two dogs, one a lab the other a viszla who got really upset with fireworks but relished a day shooting and the viszla in particular would not flintch if a rifle was fired without a moderator, BUT he could hear fireworks going off before I did and would sit and stare and shake. I was stalking down near Marlborough one weekend before the 5th and they must have had a big display in Marleborough 5 miles away. We were in a cabin and I had to put him in the Landie and go drive away up on the downs to get away from it. I think maybe introduce him to fireworks from a distance if you can. It is a different sound and dogs know it. The lab also didn't like thunder and could hear it before we did.

All my pups were pub trained right from the start. Introduced to all sorts of situations, people animals and gun fire, but sadly not fireworks and you can't arrange thunder on tap. 6mnths to me seems a bit late but just take it easy, we all do things differently.

Edited by Walker570

Fireworks caused my first dog to be gun shy, it's like Beirut where I live October onwards, I have a puppy at the moment who is already reasonably okay with loud bangs, I started using party poppers almost immediately when I got him i'm now on a walk using my starter pistol and he's not bothered by that, hope it goes okay for you

I'm quite intrested in wot the advice on here is, not for my present gundogs but looking to the future.

Live close to a wedding venue which has fireworks al year round, worst i've heard was 5 nights one week althou usually not as often as that.

Some aren't so bad but there seems to be a couple they let off near the endthat are real bassy loud 1's can feel the windows move

Wot can u do for very young pups? Or even if i ever decide to take a litter myself in the future?

At momnet only thing i can see is being notified when fireworks are on and actually taking the pup away when the fireworks are on but not ideal long term for 4 months

Must admit personally i don't usually expose my pups to stater pistol till 6-8+ months old and older for actually gunfire, usually around loud noises etc when younger but extreme loud noises can damage a dogs ear at young ages. Think some dogs are 6-8 mnths before ear/inner ear is fully grown so won't be damged

Must admit personally i don't usually expose my pups to stater pistol till 6-8+ months old and older for actually gunfire, usually around loud noises etc when younger but extreme loud noises can damage a dogs ear at young ages. Think some dogs are 6-8 mnths before ear/inner ear is fully grown so won't be damged

I use great caution and a good distance, it is earlier than i would like but this way I am in control not some idiot with a firework. I have to work to my surroundings!

• 2 weeks later...

The noise is very different, my older Gwp couldn't give a fig about fireworks but her pup is a quivering wreck over them. Despite beating weekly and standing happily on peg to the gun she ends up having to come upstairs and shiver by the bed come fireworks night

I've had four dogs and all of them have been rock steady to rifle, shotgun and fireworks. The two spaniels have enjoyed firewoks the most. When the local kids start to let them of they have gone absolutely lunny. They just want to be outside racing around on the lawn squeeking and wailing with the stumpy tail wagging to the point of catching on fire. Eventually they sit to heal waiting for the next rocket to go up. Then they become completely unstable again and race off around the garden. Although all of the dogs have been like this with fireworks it has never transferred over into the shooting field when Guns have been fired.