S400 barrel change

winnie&bezza

Afternoon all. My 13 yr old AA s400 was originally a carbine model but quite a few years ago I had an accident with it which snapped the barrel at silencer base. I took it up to local Airgun centre and they had a standard length barrel in the draw which they kindly said they will fit for little cost. Now I wouldn't mind putting a carbine barrel back on and have had a priced from said shop for a new carbine barrel which is £100 but the downside is they won't fit the barrel as if it goes wrong they haven't had a Air arms training and wouldn't be able to send it to them. Now question is, how hard is it to change it yourself?

Edited by winnie&bezza

Just 2 allen headed grubscrews isn't it? - on top of the housing.

Well they've got the rifle at the moment as they've had a look at it for small problem with but I can pick it up tomorrow and I can have a look. Just don't want to start something and it open up a can of worms!

Edited by winnie&bezza

All done. Picked up barrel and couldn't wait to get on with it. Undone Allen screws holding barrel and was hoping for the barrel to slide out nicely but no of course it didn't. Had to put barrel in vice and give the receiver a few short whacks and it flew off. It was a bit rusty and carppy around it. Made sure shim was all lined up and slid new carbine barrel in and put it all back together. Just zeroed it using jsb heavies which I've never used before and is grouping lovely. Rifle looks even better now.

Depends on how old the gun is, S400's, in my experience, tend to creep upwards over time and the cost of a few extra fps will need to be considered, if you fancy doing it yourself there is probably a vid on youtube but you will need a chrono.

It's 12-13 yrs old Bruno. I would like to have a fiddle myself but I can't find a YouTube video that shows exactly what I need. It's pre anti tamper aswell.

Update. Put a new hammer spring in, cleaned up hammer guide rail so running really smoothly and generally given It a service. Bought a chombro but before using it I took it up shop for a refill and chrono. Using jsb heavies 15.89 it produced 11.2 ft/lb as its best. Quite happy with it so took it home and tried out the combro. It produced between 11.4 - 11.7 ft/lbs so do you think that is due to air pressure coming down to its sweet spot or a difference between chronos ( yes I should of checked against their chrono)? The other thing is, when you put your pellet grain into Combro do you put the 15.89 which my jsb heavies are as 15.8 or 15.9? Cheers

Edited by winnie&bezza

There will be a variation between cronos so to speak but it's also possible as the air drops fps may increase slighty ,

Best to weigh the pellets yourself if you have the means don't trust what the tin states happy plinking pal

Yes I thought that might be the case.

I might actually start weighing them but need some scales. Cheers mate.