Scratched cocker eyes

markm

Hi.

H have a cocker who is a fearless hunter and after a days shooting he often has a small scratch on his eyes. Last season I had him to the vets 3 times and having only been out twice this year I've already had him there at the start my of the week. Each time they have a look and give him some ointment which is a prescription conjunctivitis treatment (can't remember the name) and charge me £50 for the visit. (Asked to buy more and they said no)

Now I know nothing is more important that eyes, and if I thought for more than a second there was something major wrong, I would have him there in a shot, he's fully insured etc.

Has anyone used anything to to treat this? Any ideas?

Ps - no goggles, safety glasses comments. Lol!!!

PPS - my 9 year old son does however think there is a marketing opportunity for safety contact lenses for dogs.

Edited by markm

A good basic interim treatment for sore eyes is a teabag.

Brew your tea and remove the bag before the milk goes in. Let it cool and wipe over eyes letting some of the tea liquid get into the eye.

If you have a white dog it will tempererily brown stain the fur round the eyes

You can get conjunctivitis ointment from the pharmacy. Its the same stuff for dogs.

You just need to convince the pharmacist that a member of your family has got conjunctivitis.

Otherwise rub your eyes till they look red and go buy some for yourself. :yes:;)

Edited by loriusgarrulus

A good basic interim treatment for sore eyes is a teabag.

Brew your tea and remove the bag before the milk goes in. Let it cool and wipe over eyes letting some of the tea liquid get into the eye.

If you have a white dog it will tempererily brown stain the fur round the eyes

You can get conjunctivitis ointment from the pharmacy. Its the same stuff for dogs.

You just need to convince the pharmacist that a member of your family has got conjunctivitis.

Otherwise rub your eyes till they look red and go buy some for yourself. :yes:;)

This is great advice - I used this on my lab the other day after one of her eyes was red after training where she'd been in fairly thick cover but also been swimming.

I don't drink tea so had to go next door and ask my neighbour for a bag haha :-)