Steyr pro hunter vs tikka t3

srspower

I have a pro hunter in 308. Nice gun BUT if you want an after market stock they're damn near impossible to find! Hopefully form rifle stocks are going to make me one if they can bed it properly. The safety system is a cool little thing where you can lock the bolt down and it physically moves the firing pin out of alignment. Supposedly rebarreling the action is difficult and impossible to find anyone to do but unless you're mad for speed or using it like a machine gun you'll be a long time shooting out a modern barrel. Again though if you pay a grand for a gun and it does you 10 years that's about 27p a day and I guarantee you'll have more than 27p's worth of fun every day you get it out the cupboard. If it's cheap buy it. If you don't get on with it you can always sell it on.

Thanks for the info, I was leaning more towards the Tikka as they seem to have fantastic aftermarket support and it would mean I get a new gun. Is there anything else you guys would recommend I consider for around a £800 budget? I plan to buy a mod later and I have a scope for it already.

I've had a pro hunter and had so much trouble with it, trigger creep, hard to chamber a round from the magazine, stock moving and touching the barrel. I brought it new so after they tried 4 times to sort it out and failing, I got a full refund. I have always had a Tikka, so it's Tikka for me.

Edited by cervusman

I've had a pro hunter and had so much trouble with it, trigger creep, hard to chamber a round from the magazine, stock moving and touching the barrel. I brought it new so after they tried 4 times to sort it out and failing, I got a full refund. I have always had a Tikka, so it's Tikka for me.

Sounds similar to the issues I had, my shooting buddy has a tikka lite in .270, absolute tackdriver.