Browning 425 stock/forend varnish removal

Jay_Russell

Well once the game season is over I had plans to send the wood away to have the horrid varnish removed,a bit of root oil to darken it slighty then a nice mat oil finish. I've watched various clips on how to oil a stock over several weeks and I'm confident I have enough patiance to do a nice job. It's got a fairly nice bit of graining and I think it will look far better once done.

However removing the existing varnish type finish is the bit that makes me nervous, what's the best way ?

Use a paint removing gel called Rustins Strypit. Spread it all over, wait for it to start bubbling and then scrape off with a hard straight edge, an old credit card does the job without gouging the wood. Repeat as necessary. Remove any tough/stubborn residue using fine wire wool soaked in gel. Once it's all been removed wash the stock clean and begin to finish the wood using various grades of wet and dry paper.

Steve