Off to Scotland tonight.

fse10

Off up for a morning & evening flight at Ladyhall for tomorrow so driving up tonight then a drive up to Fraserburgh on Sunday for a week of decoying can't wait as there's a few birds about 80,000 plus so if i do my bit i hope to have my first pink. Wish me luck.

Off up for a morning & evening flight at Ladyhall for tomorrow so driving up tonight then a drive up to Fraserburgh on Sunday for a week of decoying can't wait as there's a few birds about 80,000 plus so if i do my bit i hope to have my first pink. Wish me luck.

Who you going with in Fraserburgh ?

Im about 5 miles for fraserburgh and close by the loch i havent seen much going about this week. Most birds have been going further out to feed with not alot working the local fields near me. Cant complain had 27 last week so thats the freezer stocked up and the land owners too :good:

Edited by Wildfowler3250

Well got back yesterday morning, had a good week but there was only 17 birds shoot over three days none of which i shot :no: . As a lot of birds came off from the end of the loch & the few that came our way did not come in to the decoys. I think the farm we were on had been shot hard the week before. Had a bit of luck as one of the guys who we was shooting with has a friend who is a guide had a day going & had a field that had a lot of birds feeding on it so we had a morning out with him. We had pinks trying to come in as we were putting out the decoys after slipping in to the hide the birds started to come in & i had my first pink in the bag :yahoo: .I shot another 7 birds & between eight of us we shot 40 birds. A top mornings sport & a big thank you to Russ from ** ******* www.**********.com a top lad.

I read this and thought what a shame you were not happy with a bag of 17......

It does seem as if that inland decoying it is all a numbers game now

If i had shot a few of the 17 i would of been ,but as i had never shot a pink & the mornings decoying came up for the last day of our trip i was just happy to shoot my first pink plus a few more.

I read this and thought what a shame you were not happy with a bag of 17......

It does seem as if that inland decoying it is all a numbers game now

I'm not really that keen on inland pink decoying, but give the bloke a break. 40 geese between 8 guns is hardly excessive.

I'm not really that keen on inland pink decoying, but give the bloke a break. 40 geese between 8 guns is hardly excessive.

yeah, maybe a bit harsh, and i missed the bit about 8 guns, something else which seems to be the trend these days...big parties of guns over the decoys

But all the same, very well done with your first Pink Fse10.

I blanked the first time i went north of the border, a double shot all week, terrible miss at very low greylags, i still shudder when i think about it.

I suspect its a bit of an American idea to shoot geese with a big party of guns in one hide. Personaly i would not share a hide with so many guns. Two guns is plenty and usually when inland after geese and shooting with couple of friends we scatter ourselves over several hundred acres each with our own little group of decoys. With a hide full of guns how the hell do you know who shot which goose? Like you Richard my first goose hunting trip in Scotland was a blank for geese , but we did have some good duck flighting on the foreshore.

I suspect its a bit of an American idea to shoot geese with a big party of guns in one hide. Personaly i would not share a hide with so many guns. Two guns is plenty and usually when inland after geese and shooting with couple of friends we scatter ourselves over several hundred acres each with our own little group of decoys. With a hide full of guns how the hell do you know who shot which goose? Like you Richard my first goose hunting trip in Scotland was a blank for geese , but we did have some good duck flighting on the foreshore.

we had three hides set up along a fence line which had a 3-4 foot drop which we could get behind. Now that i have shot my first pink (inland) next on the wish list are a foreshore pink a cock wigeon & a cock pintall,

Nothing wrong with 6 guns , I just would not like to be sharing a hide with more than one other gun and if possible have a hide to myself even if I am are out of the main action. We see in so many videos both Scottish and American a barrage of shots with guns competing for the birds and still shooting when they have moved well out of range.

Edited by anser2

Long time since iv'e been up there and shot around the loch of strathbeg, and always in a single hide, as said the hides on our guides patch were 200yrds apart minimum and we mostly missed, inbetween hides,The barrage of shots is still possible as there were massive skiens coming over, mostly flighted, them only decoyed once. But not saying what you say does not happen,but it has not always happened.