Vinegar to stop corrosion in bore?

Wingman

Hi guys

Over on some of the American websites it suggests using white vinegar to stop corrosion in pitted barrels. My SXS had some pitting in the bore although it seems to be surface only. The previous owner used the gun regularly up until a few weeks ago when I acquired it so I know it's safe. Has anyone ever heard of or done the vinegar thing?

Is it not the same as the idea of putting a high carbon steel knife blade into a lemon which forms some kind of grey hard oxidation?

I think this may be the theory behind it all because I seem to recall that there was/is a rust cure for cars that turned the rust a kind of blue. However, don't rely on me because my 'O' level Chemistry is 55 years away now and I barely scraped through even then. I would worry slightly about the effect on the non-rusted steel in the barrels.

Vinegar will remove the corrosion, you then use oil to prevent further corrosion. Sulphuric acid can also be used to remove corrosion, I have used sulphuric acid myself on a rusty Vauxhall Frontera wheel arch and confirm first hand it does indeed work.

Edited by sportsbob

Vinegar will remove corrosion (rust or blueing, it doesn't matter) and will leave a patina (vinegar corrosion) which helps protect against other corrosion.

My carbon steel knifes are treated with vinegar to stop rusting when out shooting and hiking and used in the wet, not 100% effective but does work in a limited way, just as blueing does.

Yeah but all of this nonsense about vinegar and acid is irrelevant. if you've got pits in the barrels nothing other than lapping out is going to make these pits non existent. It all depends on how deep the pits are and how much metal there is in the walls to be able to make this possible. If the gun is worn out past limits and dangerous either get it resleeved or deactivated or scrapped. If the gun is something really special most remedial work is beyond the cost of repair. Just use it as it is and clean it out with a phosphor bronze brush and aquoil or Ed's Red. Unless you are putting thousands of cartridges through it the gun will last probably longer than you will ever shoot it. I have an old AyA #4 that I was given which has some/a lot of heavy pits that I use for my wet day gun and the targets don't know that the barrels are pitted.

I have to disagree with "nonsense" the vinegar with remove the rust and reduce the liklyhood of it getting rapidly worse you will then have rust free pitting instead of rusty pitting eating into the steel further. The Op said pitting that appeared to be surface only which I know is a contradiction in itself but I read it as surface corrosion which the vinegar will effectively remove.

Edited by sportsbob

dont mean to get on my high horse here but pitting is pitting, the only way to clear it is lapping, if it is too deep to lap then hang it on the wall! i think your fingers and eyes are much more valuable then any gun even if its a purdey or holland & holland, :sad1:

I completely agree with this. All of this talk about using vinegar or acid to remove rust and pitting is a nonsense. If the vinegar or acid did clean out the pits they would still be there. Back in the day of my grandfather they used black powder and fibre wads. the shot got scrapped off on the pits and they got worse. their idea of cleaning was just a pull through with a bit of rag. If you use plastic wads and clean the barrels regularly the gun will last for years. If the pits are that bad scrap it.

I tried this trick on a rifle I had that used to rust for the fun of it. It did seem to reduce the bother I had from rust.

It won't fix pits, but if it's just surface rust then go for it. Mind the bluing, it'll take that off just as effectively!

Edited by njc110381

Careful using wierd stuff on metal. The acid might looks like it's removing rust, but it might change the ionic balance of the metal and make it more /prone/ to rust afterward. I use electrolysis to remove rust quite often, and if you do 'only' electrolysis you are left with a metal that will rust in days. You need to then 'bake' it to rebalance it... Not too hot tho, otherwise you remove it's hardening treatment.