Foggy windscreen

Doc Holliday

It's that time of year when, in the mornings, I am faced with a foggy windscreen. This is a real bug bare of mine as it takes about 10 minutes to clear. When I ordered the van I have now, I asked for 'heated front windscreen'. I was told 'We don't offer this an option'. Typical. They offer it on cars so why not vans? Anyway, I won't gripe. Does anyone have any remedy that can resolve this?

Persistent moisture first thing in the morning is an indication that there is moisture present inside the cabin so tracing the source might also be a good idea. This is why as cars get older this becomes more of a problem.

Edited by Hamster

I once put an old Dehumdifier in my car over the week end,I backed the car in so as to be able to use the electrics in the garage..

Monday morning drove off,I thought the hand brake was on,,???,,Ripped the control panel right out..

But it was doing great up till then,,Not allowed to do it with the other one I Have..

What a P**×.

I don't have air con, per se. As soon as I get in and start the engine the blower goes on max. Regardless of where the temperature is and whether or not the windows are open it always seems to take the same amount of time, about 10 minutes. Even wiping the windscreen with a clean mircofibre cloth does little to improve it as if fogs up again within 10 - 15 seconds or so. It really is a bone of contention. I've had it with every VW Transporter, but more so noticeable with the last 2. Both were new off the line. The thing is, I can't really pull away until I have good visibility through it as there are vehicles parked all over the place in my road. It really is like a chicane when trying to get out, and you're driving in to the sun so when that hits the windscreen, you really can't see Jack.

The Rain x Anti fog is applied to both inside and out or one side only?

I don't have air con, per se. As soon as I get in and start the engine the blower goes on max. Regardless of where the temperature is and whether or not the windows are open it always seems to take the same amount of time, about 10 minutes. Even wiping the windscreen with a clean mircofibre cloth does little to improve it as if fogs up again within 10 - 15 seconds or so. It really is a bone of contention. I've had it with every VW Transporter, but more so noticeable with the last 2. Both were new off the line. The thing is, I can't really pull away until I have good visibility through it as there are vehicles parked all over the place in my road. It really is like a chicane when trying to get out, and you're driving in to the sun so when that hits the windscreen, you really can't see Jack.

The Rain x Anti fog is applied to both inside and out or one side only?

Are your driver and passenger foot wells completely dry ? If not then try leaving a pile of old newspapers there overnight, you'd be surprised what they suck up.

All my T5's have done it from new over the past 12 years and I know what your saying about pulling off then having to pull over after and wait.

All vans do it especially without a bulk head as their is so much air and in my case normally a coat or boots full of damp.

I've tried rain x type finishes and I'll say DONT do it. It beads the damp so it causes runs down the screen that'll drive you nuts. It's like it's raining inside the van.

Edited by team tractor

Thanks for all the replies guys. I only switch the air to recirculate if stuck behind anything belching out black smoke.

House heating isn't on yet. Not being tight but neither Mrs H nor I feel the need to put it on yet. She had her fluffy throw that she pulls over her if she feels a bit nippy and I just try and tough it out until November. Good idea though.

Thanks for the heads up on the down side of anti fog. That really would drive me nuts.

Van has a bulkhead but usually leave sliding window open to shove pipe through. Nothing in there that is wet or damp, at least nothing that comes to mind.

Seems to me that manufacturers think we van drivers don't need it. Seems daft. It can't cost much more. Even so, they could have it as an optional extra.

At one time the common advice was to cut a potato and rub it over the screen to prevent misting.Good old-fashioned remedy, or just an old wives' tale?

I had heard of this....but never tried it as I may not be able to see the road through the starch residue spread over the screen! Lol!