AYA identification

R1nut

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies, I thought it was a no.2.

The story goes, I was shooting at my local rifle range which has a shop attached. After I had finished I was having a poke around in the shop and seen the Aya in the back of the safe. just couldn't resist asking why it was tucked away.

A chap had brought a pile of rifles and shot guns in to be dealt with, some were scrap others were border line saleable. They thought this one was border line so sent it off to a smith to check the barrels. It came back fine just withe a lot of surface rust.

I couldn't say no at the price.

I'll send Aya a mail and see what I get back.

Ditchman, I always thought no.2 had the detachable plates too, that's what threw me about this one.

My knowledge on these things are very limited and I couldn't find much on tinternet

Not all no2's had the detachable lock lever, it's only a lever and can be retrofitted, most gunsmiths will tell you they are best off without the lever to stop people fiddling with them and putting too much oil in there, looks in pretty good condition , dependant on barrel length and remaining choke is worth up to ~£1250 retail , 26" will drop it dramatically although it bears little resemblance on its performance over a 28" but most people will want 28" and at least 1/4 and 1/2,

26" from £500 upwards especially now as most dealers will have hoped to have sold their stock of sxs' by this point in the season

I really like my sxs' sand have a 26, 27 and a 28" aya all no4's and am looking at adding a no2 to the fold

Not all no2's had the detachable lock lever, it's only a lever and can be retrofitted, most gunsmiths will tell you they are best off without the lever to stop people fiddling with them and putting too much oil in there, looks in pretty good condition , dependant on barrel length and remaining choke is worth up to ~£1250 retail , 26" will drop it dramatically although it bears little resemblance on its performance over a 28" but most people will want 28" and at least 1/4 and 1/2,

26" from £500 upwards especially now as most dealers will have hoped to have sold their stock of sxs' by this point in the season

I really like my sxs' sand have a 26, 27 and a 28" aya all no4's and am looking at adding a no2 to the fold

really way back in aya's history did they make a 28" called the best quality....

Looks like a 53 to me.

I think the 53 has side clips (and possibly a concealed 3rd bite?). A friend has a 53 (confirmed by AyA as such) and that certainly has side clips. I can't remember if it has the third bite.

Hand detachable locks are standard now, but I don't believe that was always so. Barrels were usually 28", though others were 'to order' - as were many other options.

It's got the brass oval in the stock and tear drops all of which are in as new condition.

The guy in the shop was lead to believe the gun had not done a lot of work a few hundred shots if that. The face the firing pins are in has all the colour hardening no sign of wear really.

I have just come across a 53 on google and it looks very similar

The ejectors just fired the snap caps across the kitchen , they have got some serious range!!!!