Right handed shooters - load from left of right?

Salop Matt

Hadn't really given the process much thought to be honest, but now the question has been asked I found it surprising what my procedure is.

If I'm on a stand shooting fast simulated game or on a peg where the birds are coming thick and fast I'd have cartridges in my left hand pocket and keep hold of the shotgun via its grip with my right, and eject into the air and simultaneously reload two with my left. All other times, such as walked up or when it is more sedate, I'd have cartridges in my right pocket, eject the empties into my right hand, swap them to my left hand and place them in my left pocket and load with my right.

Sounds like a complicated procedure written down, but isn't in practice.

I am a right handed shot. On a busy stand I can reload without taking my eyes off the sky in front by holding the gun in the balance position with my left hand, operating the top lever with my right hand then slipping my right hand in my right pocket, feeling for cartridges then feeding them into the gun.

I am a right handed shot. On a busy stand I can reload without taking my eyes off the sky in front by holding the gun in the balance position with my left hand, operating the top lever with my right hand then slipping my right hand in my right pocket, feeling for cartridges then feeding them into the gun.

This ^^^^^^^^

I bet your always loaded and ready for the next bird 😊😊

I'm a left handed shooter and load with my right hand. When game shooting once I've reloaded I get another two cartridges out of my pocket and have them ready in my right hand ready to reload once I've ejected. I've got used to holding the forend with a couple of cartridges in my hand.

I'm right handed; I keep the gun in my left hand, open with right, catch ejected cartridges with right and replace with new cartridges from my right pocket with my right hand.

I put the empties in the right hand warming pocket of the coat and then use the left one when necessary. My left pocket usually has steel carts in for ducks so In that case I'll use my left hand to load them and keep my right on the gun.

Interesting thread this. I'm right handed and always load with my left from my left pocket. My clay shooting buddies, all right handed, load the opposite way so I always assumed I was doing it incorrectly. It just feels more comfortable for me. Always catch the empties with my right though..