Had another pop

motty

Yesterday I checked out the bean field that I have shot for the last two weekends. The pigeons were still there in great numbers (stubble still left untouched by the farmer).

I invited Widgeon man (Brad) to share the day with me, as he was up this way to do some wildfowling.

I got set up early and was ready to shoot by 8am. I decided to set up in exactly the same place as the last two sessions as this put the wind on our backs.

I had a couple of birds down by the time Brad turned up. These were put on flappers. I already had an 'artificial' flapper on the go, so I now had 3 flappers on the go. I thought I would use the flappers to start with, as the pigeons had taken a good beating over the last fortnight whilst the magnets were in action. This seemed to work ok, but the birds weren't committing quite as well as I'd hoped. I made the decision to stick the magnet out after an hour or so, and it changed things instantly. The pigeons committed from further out and decoyed far closer in. This enabled us both to get a triple and countless doubles. We both took down some great long range birds and the whole thing was very enjoyable. It appeared to be even better than last week, despite my initial concerns about the birds being shy.

We decided to call it a day at around 3pm. The action had slowed, and Brad still had a 3 hour drive home to contend with. We picked up and I left the field. Brad happened to find another 3 birds as he walked back to the truck. We ended with 240 pigeons - so that's 843 pigeons in 3 visits. Maybe I'll have another go yet.....

Fantastic result and perhaps more to come, you can only shoot what's on the field and if they keep coming fill your boots. It's one of those quirks of nature that birds congregate in numbers on one particular farm in your case you have watched them build up and now stay. Well done with your Intel and fieldcraft you are now receiving the benefit .