how not to treat a wounded goose

andrewluke

True again about the US stuff, we have a weak excuse of 'oh thanks the Americans, we Brits are countrymen, we don't have that yeehah attitude'.

This can't be mitigated, its cruelty at best, poor ******* honking away whilst getting beaten by some charlatan.

Without witch hunting is it obvious to find this guys YouTube account? Be interested to see any comments.

He's been told.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfDNpA9AjZQ

True again about the US stuff, we have a weak excuse of 'oh thanks the Americans, we Brits are countrymen, we don't have that yeehah attitude'.

This can't be mitigated, its cruelty at best, poor ******* honking away whilst getting beaten by some charlatan.

Without witch hunting is it obvious to find this guys YouTube account? Be interested to see any comments.

you only need to click on the top of the video and it will take you to vid on youtube

you only need to click on the top of the video and it will take you to vid on youtube

That doesn't work on my phone.

You said:

I posted a link to his youtube video. On that numerous people (at least one from here) have all commented negatively on the video.

Ah, I see, but not on my phone.

Firstly' I was not Knocking Chris Green. I enjoy watching his dvd's especially the coastal Footage. I was merely pointing out to Walker570' whom mentioned about High fiving,Fist pumping and yahooing and it is clearly evident in his Dvd for all to see. It would make you curious as where they got he inclination to behave in such a manner.Surley it backs up what has been said about the American stuff having a rub off. Anyway I feel this is getting off topic in hand' but was a point worth making.

Now where to Start..? I can understand where Motty is coming from but at the same time I would be more inclined to agree with Reebrook regarding the use of a Dog.Having a dog present is all part and parcel of it for me' whither he is called upon to make a retrieve or not.

However there are circumstances where it is possible to shoot without the use of a dog.And their are Fowlers of high Standing and Fowlers whom i would Class as the very best kind of Fowlers who have openly admitted on here that they went Fowling on occasion without a dog for one reason or another. Like Motty said' it was low water and it could be said to be acceptable to go withoiut the use of a dog in this instance. However there is a number of potential problems that still could have arisen in this situation that may have required the use of a dog.

Now this man made his way out for a dawn flight and the geese he Shot at where well within Range and he Dropped a bird and it was not a clean kill. Nothing too uncommon about that as I'm sure we all have encountered similar. The man in Question walked out to Goose,The goose had some life in it and tried to escape.The man then stopped it with the stick' and then hit it a couple of Knocks which i think there is a fair chance that the goose had its neck outstretched as thats what injured fowl often do..

Now would people have found it more acceptable.? IF..A dog had of been present and chased after the goose, fetched the goose back to the man' whom then took it off the dog and knocked it on the head or if he had of stooped down and picked it up and then knocked it on the head. Surley the outcome would have been the same no matter what the scenario..?

Im afraid i'm going to have to refer back to yourself Mr Scruffy Dog and I quote...A dog would have taken care of the goose far better than he (or any of us) could have done alone.

I would ask How..? Was the dog going to stand on his hind legs and wring the goose's neck with his two front legs and paws..? Sorry couldnt resist that one. Surley your not Suggesting that the Dog would have actually killed the goose..?

At the end of the day' there is a number of recognised,Accepatable methods of despatching wounded Fowl or game and everyone has there own prefered one. No one is whiter than white and i care as much about Geese,Ducks and Wildfowling as most true fowlers do and also like to see things done properly and in keeping with the sports Morals and ethics.! It would be nice if we could always kill birds cleanly but that doent always happen.Its wildfowling warts and all.

For me' I think the reaction to this is a bit OTT..But at the same time respect others opinion. It doesnt look ideal and I would agree with Walker570 that it wasnt the most sensible thing to be posting online considering he had the option of editing that particular sequence of events out of his Clip.

I have to agree with supergoose. The counter shows from first being in contact with the goose it was 21 seconds ( hit with a stick ) before there was no further movement from the bird ( dead) . The bird was shot at 1.18 on the video counter and killed at 3.15 . Thats just under 2 minuets. Many gundogs would not have picked that bird and retreved it to hand for it to be killed any quicker.

There are situations when I will may have left my dog at home as Motty suggests , mainly due to poor hiding for myself and dog or where the goose has almost no places to hide. ect. Though in the habitat where this guy was shooting there was too much cover for my liking not to have a dog. Having said that working my dog is half the fun of wildfowling and its years since I last shot without one.

A dog is a great aid to retrieving, but 100% pick up is possible in many situations without one. Many years ago I shot a good bag of duck on a neap tide flight laying on my back in foot high spartina grass with no where to hide a dog. There was one other fowler out who stayed on the saltmarsh who had a dog , but never had a shot. I shot out of cartridges over the next hour. I had picked a place where in the gale the duck had a flight line crossing the spartina , with a gentle sloping shore line where I could wade 50 yards out into the sea if needed and with no creeks nearby for a wounded bird to escape into and never lost a bird.

My main problem about this video is its lack of editing, cutting out the killing of the goose would have taken any amo away from the anties.

Edited by anser2

I have to agree with supergoose. The counter shows from first being in contact with the goose it was 21 seconds ( hit with a stick ) before there was no further movement from the bird ( dead) . The bird was shot at 1.18 on the video counter and killed at 3.15 . Thats just under 2 minuets. Many gundogs would not have picked that bird and retreved it to hand for it to be killed any quicker.

There are situations when I will may have left my dog at home as Motty suggests , mainly due to poor hiding for myself and dog or where the goose has almost no places to hide. ect. Though in the habitat where this guy was shooting there was too much cover for my liking not to have a dog. Having said that working my dog is half the fun of wildfowling and its years since I last shot without one.

A dog is a great aid to retrieving, but 100% pick up is possible in many situations without one. Many years ago I shot a good bag of duck on a neap tide flight laying on my back in foot high spartina grass with no where to hide a dog. There was one other fowler out who stayed on the saltmarsh who had a dog , but never had a shot. I shot out of cartridges over the next hour. I had picked a place where in the gale the duck had a flight line crossing the spartina , with a gentle sloping shore line where I could wade 50 yards out into the sea if needed and with no creeks nearby for a wounded bird to escape into and never lost a bird.

My main problem about this video is its lack of editing, cutting out the killing of the goose would have taken any amo away from the anties.

to me it's about the way the shooter was belting the goose with a stick,

"My main problem about this video is its lack of editing, cutting out the killing of the goose would have taken any amo away from the anties"

it's not about giving antis ammo, as a wildfowler it's something i dont like/want to see

Having read the comments on this thread I tend to agree with supergoose75, is it the whacking of the goose with a stick that 'ruffles feathers'? pardon the pun!

Fowling without a dog is certainly possible and indeed desirable in certain circumstance, and I would not critisise the guy for that! That's his choice!

How, and by what method do we as individuals kill a goose? Does it always die instantly? I have seen priests and spiked pliers advertised for sale for dispatching game do they work? are they humane?

I can usually kill a wounded goose fairly quickly but remember years ago (40 plus) one big tough old Canada that must have had rubber in his neck...it took longer than I expected to kill it......and I'll bet there are at least a few on here with similar experiences! so let's not be too quick to condemn.......as the bible says "let he that is without sin throw the first stone"

Having read the comments on this thread I tend to agree with supergoose75, is it the whacking of the goose with a stick that 'ruffles feathers'? pardon the pun!

Fowling without a dog is certainly possible and indeed desirable in certain circumstance, and I would not critisise the guy for that! That's his choice!

How, and by what method do we as individuals kill a goose? Does it always die instantly? I have seen priests and spiked pliers advertised for sale for dispatching game do they work? are they humane?

I can usually kill a wounded goose fairly quickly but remember years ago (40 plus) one big tough old Canada that must have had rubber in his neck...it took longer than I expected to kill it......and I'll bet there are at least a few on here with similar experiences! so let's not be too quick to condemn.......as the bible says "let he that is without sin throw the first stone"

that's the reason i posted the video

It is disgusting behaviour causing the animal added stress and suffering till it eventually gave up. As a shooter he should have more respect for the animal. Not everyone can make a clean kill i get that but standing there beating the bird and filming it is poor practice and makes me feel ashamed to share a sport and past time i love so much with a muppet like him.

After a quick search on social media and looking at his profile he certainly isnt a young novice new to the sport and should really know better

I just don't understand this modern idea that everything one does has to be filmed and recorded. I enjoy watching a properly made film that is instructional or informative.

Strapping a cheap camera on the top of your head and putting the resultant, unedited, film on the net does not come into this category.

This website, which I enjoy enormously, is full of pictures of dead animals - Why?

A dead fox and a rifle seems to be the best effort of most night shooters.

Heaps of pigeons and a dog feature in other topics.

I am totally mystified by this modern trend to record on video everything that one does.

If you can't dispatch an injured animal that YOU have injured HUMANELY ,

YOU , should stop hunting/ shooting/ fishing them,

Looks like he doesn't like the close / hands on dispatch to me,( why don't just get down and dirty with it and break its neck)

He is a TOOL of the highest order

Simple,

Flynny

Edited by flynny

So we're all (roughly) in agreement then.

Not a pretty sight and could have been dealt with better. AND CERTAINLY NOT SOMETHING THAT DESERVES BEING IMMORTALISED ON VIDEO.

and BTW, Supergoose75 you cheeky ****** ( :) )

I forgot that some of you older gentlemen shoot with the overgrown puppy that is the labrador and maybe not so familiar with proper dogs (only kidding :) )

When I go out with Jed, my GSP, he tends to take care of any wounded game (up to the larger sizes) quickly and humanely - if that's the correct word in these circumstances - before retrieving them. He's always done this, but I don't know whether this is normal for this breed (perhaps Tony R could shed some light on this) I didn't train him to do it and I suspect it's probably laziness on his part as it's easier to carry back a floppy "toy" than one that's still flapping.

Or maybe he's a zombie dog and just likes the taste of brains. :whistling:

Edited by Zapp
Dont evade the swear filter

So we're all (roughly) in agreement then.

Not a pretty sight and could have been dealt with better. AND CERTAINLY NOT SOMETHING THAT DESERVES BEING IMMORTALISED ON VIDEO.

and BTW, Supergoose75 you cheeky ****** ( :) )

I forgot that some of you older gentlemen shoot with the overgrown puppy that is the labrador and maybe not so familiar with proper dogs (only kidding :) )

When I go out with Jed, my GSP, he tends to take care of any wounded game (up to the larger sizes) quickly and humanely - if that's the correct word in these circumstances - before retrieving them. He's always done this, but I don't know whether this is normal for this breed (perhaps Tony R could shed some light on this) I didn't train him to do it and I suspect it's probably laziness on his part as it's easier to carry back a floppy "toy" than one that's still flapping.

Or maybe he's a zombie dog and just likes the taste of brains. :whistling:

I bet your dogs name is piano.