split stock and wood glue

misser

Unfortunately at the weekend dropped my s/s aya, cracked the straight hand stock at the thinnest part ie where the trigger guard back screw is located. It is a split along the grain about half way through. can anyone recommend the best wood glue, do i just open it up glue it and g clamp it......any info from the more hands on pw massive appreciated....atb.,...misser.

2 Tube GORILLA GLUE,,,Cheap too.

Then buy a Mtr of catty elastic,,Bind it with that,No G Clamps..

Leave 2/3 Days,,Then try and Break it.lol..

Having not seen it,,you can use small home made dowels,,Make sure the grain runs the same way on the END of the Dowels,Even better if you can use the checkering to hide it..??.

B O L.

thanks gents..its not clean through...same place as clean break in your pic welshwarrior, about half way through and the split is horizontal.will try and post a pic....thanks again...atb....misser.

forgot to ask why no g clamps?

"G" Clamps produce pressure in one area..

Catty Elastic, Pulls in ALL DIRECTIONS, and no squashing even if you protect with thick leather..

As above equal pressure squeezing from all directions,get a much better matching at the break..

B O L .

All according to how badly it is split, you may just be advised to put a couple of dowels through the break. You might be lucky and be able to hide these behind the metal strap along the bottom side. You don't need to go right through as long as the dowel reaches both sides of the split. Very often I have seen stock cracks screwed in the past but modern glues and a couple of small diameter dowels should do the job. Done it twice so I know the pain. Mine was on the same Army & Navy 100plus year old 16 gauge and involved new stocks both times. Best of luck with it.

I usually inlet a piece between the break - if you want lasting repair i would suggest you send it to someone who does stock work - its more difficult to repair these kind of breaks "the second time around" as if its send to you right after its broken a skilled hand can make an invisible, lasting and cost effective repair.

This gun was repaired "second time around" - Originally repaired with wood glue and a furniture screw running through it which obviously worked for a while but eventually gave out. The line up was not as good as it could have been and the glue cracked out, the screw hole quickly then wore out.

Before

broken%20galyon_zpstgyam7m4.png

Stripping oils from the stock to give the glue the best chance of bonding.

cleanup%20galyon_zpswgabthzf.png

The gun repaired and reassembled prepping for refinishing.

repaired%20galyon_zpsthmc8fyz.png

This was a gun i bought to sell on and to test how the repair work would hold up to normal use over time - this stock shows no sign of movement in the repair and has been put through its paces plenty since.

12933102_222303221460549_495701730907947

Back%20in%20service_zpsuou1hfiv.png

pigeons%20galyon_zpsyi0bnvb8.png

Embarrassment and apologies about my shameless self promotion - If your interested in my work or simply like pictures of guns take look through my gallery here:

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/woodworking_gunsmith/?hl=en

Or facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodworkingGunsmith/

Hope this is okay with mods.

James.

thanks for all the replys gents....the split was very similar to the black and white pic in demonwolfs post but not all the way through.....well tried my hand at gluing and using catty elastic but this didnt work...well it did for about half a dozen shots, cant see what ive done wrong to be honest...next attempt will be to try and pin with dowel,....its only abit tatty aya yeoman so monetarily is not worth much but sentimentally a lot as was given to me by an old wildfowler ...next question is anyone any ideas where i could get an old aya stock from condition is immaterial....will put an add on here as one never knows... thanks atb...misser..

thanks for all the replys gents....the split was very similar to the black and white pic in demonwolfs post but not all the way through.....well tried my hand at gluing and using catty elastic but this didnt work...well it did for about half a dozen shots, cant see what ive done wrong to be honest...next attempt will be to try and pin with dowel,....its only abit tatty aya yeoman so monetarily is not worth much but sentimentally a lot as was given to me by an old wildfowler ...next question is anyone any ideas where i could get an old aya stock from condition is immaterial....will put an add on here as one never knows... thanks atb...misser..

Phone the ASI werehouse...(AYA).........you might be surprised..

I usually inlet a piece between the break - if you want lasting repair i would suggest you send it to someone who does stock work - its more difficult to repair these kind of breaks "the second time around" as if its send to you right after its broken a skilled hand can make an invisible, lasting and cost effective repair.

This gun was repaired "second time around" - Originally repaired with wood glue and a furniture screw running through it which obviously worked for a while but eventually gave out. The line up was not as good as it could have been and the glue cracked out, the screw hole quickly then wore out.

Before

broken%20galyon_zpstgyam7m4.png

Stripping oils from the stock to give the glue the best chance of bonding.

cleanup%20galyon_zpswgabthzf.png

The gun repaired and reassembled prepping for refinishing.

repaired%20galyon_zpsthmc8fyz.png

This was a gun i bought to sell on and to test how the repair work would hold up to normal use over time - this stock shows no sign of movement in the repair and has been put through its paces plenty since.

12933102_222303221460549_495701730907947

Back%20in%20service_zpsuou1hfiv.png

pigeons%20galyon_zpsyi0bnvb8.png

Embarrassment and apologies about my shameless self promotion - If your interested in my work or simply like pictures of guns take look through my gallery here:

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/woodworking_gunsmith/?hl=en

Or facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodworkingGunsmith/

Hope this is okay with mods.

James.

Really appreciate the effort gone into your work. Top

Class.