Essex postal renewal

EMT

To cut a long story short, I went to see my friendly MP earlier in the year about the appalling service we have to endure in Essex. He contacted the PCC who wrote to the Chief Constable who responded with the usual drivel about trying to improve etc.

One of the things mentioned in their improvement strategy was the postal renewal process. It's also on their website and they promised to implement it when they met with BASC. So the question is, has anyone actually had a postal renewal or was it just a smoke screen.

I presume, from reading the Essex website, that their "Postal Renewal Process" means that in some cases they will not conduct a FEO visit.

Several other forces do the same thing, often conducting the FEO interview by telephone. So this is nothing new and should help clear the backlog.

I had just this on my last renewal with Devon & Cornwall.

It has been best practice in various regions for some time and hence why Essex has proposed its implementation. It's based on the basis that provided nothing has changed of significance since your last renewal a phone call from the fao should be sufficient before the renewal is granted. This works hand in hand with the continued monitoring we are now all subject to.

My question is has anyone from ESSEX actually had a telephone renewal. I am looking for examples before requesting the information directly under a freedom of information request.

I'm just going through my initial SGC grant with Avon and Somerset. Currently on week 16 of waiting :-( however when I had my FEO visit 8 weeks ago he told me unless anything has significantly changed in 5 years then it's unlikely they would come out again would just be a quick phone call

Edited by Shepe

I had a telephone renewal in Essex earlier in the year. I was led to believe it was the first one and the FEO just asked a series of questions off a pre-planned sheet. He checked with me the guns I had and surprise, surprise their records hadn't been updated in over 3 months.

One question was did I possess any shotguns not on my certificate. The next question was would I admit it if I had!

After the grief I have had with SGC and FAC certificate issues with Essex taking the best part of a year I was pretty amazed when my recent variation request was done entirely by email.

Granted it still took over 6 weeks and they 'lost' one of the firearms off my cert in the process but they granted me a sec 1 shotgun, slug, an LBP and doubled my ammo allowance for .22 and .223 without any questions at all...

Leicestershire say they plan to turn around a renewal in eight weeks and I don't doubt they will do that. I believe they still do visits as I cannot send in my FAC/Euro Pass with the forms because I will be hunting abroad, but was informed the FEO would collect them on the visit and to send in the forms so they could get to work on the renewal straight away. The Managers in our police forces are spending so much money on mineral water for the conference tables they cannot afford the staff, so short cuts are having to be taken.

If we are going to have a licensing system then I think a visit is essential. It also allows a FEO to actually meet the applicant and make assessments, although this didn't work at Dunblane because their FEOs would have turned that application down but it was signed off by a senior officer who obviously knew better.

• 4 weeks later...

My FAC ran out Sept 5th and I had a phone call about three weeks ago. I'm told (I phoned them up Friday last) they should deal with it this week. I wait with baited breath but I ain't holding it (breath that is). This phone renewal is supposed to speed up the process but I am doubtful. I bet I won't get a rebate on the time I have been unable to use my rifle. The thing that galls me most is some people in government wanted to raise the cost to something like £200. Who do they think they are kidding?

We accept an increase in charges and then have to put up with this poor service. At one stage a load of FEO's walked out or left. It's not their fault. Their cuts have had to pay for the PCC, another level of bureaucracy, for what?

At last! Twelve weeks after my FAC ran out, my new one has just come through today. As I said in my previous posting, it ran out on 5th September. I sent the forms in with plenty of time to spare and finally, 12 weeks after the old one ran out, the new one came through the letter box today. Straight away I signed it, got me coat on and nipped to the RFD to pick up my expanding ammo. Nice to know that will be a thing of the past if the changes get royal ascent.

I was somewhat surprised to notice that the Essex Police web site state 16 weeks wait but this telephone renewal took 12 weeks, certainly an improvement. Long way to go yet though before we can say they are on top of the game.

Next job is to find somewhere to shoot foxes in Essex so I can get a .223. I am drawn between the Browning X-bolt and the Howa1500. Points for and against both. Got to find the land first. Anyone know of anybody wanting foxes controlled in Essex. I shoot bunnies on a golf course so may go down that route.

Anyway, must get down to reacquaint myself with my baby. I think a thorough cleaning is on the cards.