Finally....Squirrel season for me

bruno22rf

Thanks, yes that sounds about what I have already been doing, but shooting the 410 not the air rifle, as and when a squirrel appears in the wood. This new spot needs a bit more of a surgical approach. I didn't know if there was anything further I needed to know. I just need to fine tune my present approach. I'm lucky in that I can put up a permanent blind and feeder. The Nuttella I already use on my mouse traps. They've just started to come in, 15 so far in a couple of weeks. Hope to add a few tree rats to the Vermin tally in the next few weeks.

I don't now have a dog, lost my last one a couple of months ago, but know what you mean about being careful. My GSP nailed one coming down a tree once and it had him across the nose. He wasn't a happy bunny, but hated squirrels with a vengeance after that and although soft mouthed with game he would spend half a day making sure one was dead if you didn't take it off him.

Probably put the feeder on a table. We have a few badgers and they like to get their noses into everything.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can sink a decent sized log into the ground and put the feeder on top of that, as long as the squirrels can climb up they'll go at it. Or put brackets on a tree trunk and set the feeder off the ground. Then spread the Nutella on the trunk above the feeder to avoid damaging it when you shoot.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is to try and provide some cover if the weather turns wet. I used to put four fence posts in the ground and nail a corrugated sheet over the feeder to keep the rain off. If the wheat gets wet it will stick and start to germinate.

I'd also suggest using an air rifle as the noise of a .410 will result in anything nearby being scared away. You'll have longer to wait between shots. And if you put the squirrels out as buzzard bait with lead shot in the carcase it won't do the buzzards any good. Better to bury or burn them.

Edited by UKPoacher

Out on the Squizzers today and 1pm found me sitting in the shade not 20 yards from the busiest Hopper on my "hit list". A txt this very morning (normally only get them on Fridays but heyho) informed me that the Hopper had been filled and the footplate duly smothered with Peanut butter and that several of the blighters were seen in the area. Within the first hour 2 Squizzers were no longer worried about what to buy each other for Christmas this year but as the second one fell I saw one that had come with him shoot up into the tree tops where, for the next 30 minutes or so, he sat cursing me. Try as I might I simply could not see him and moving would mean breaking cover and then facing the inevitable long wait till things calmed down again. After getting more and more annoyed at his verbal abuse I had to stand up for a while to relieve my rear end from the pain of sitting on a pound shop special fold up chair and as I did a movement caught my eye and, lo and behold, the Singing Squizzer was less than 10 feet away on a low branch still shouting away.

Now for the crazy bit - instead of going vertical and disappearing, the eejit jumped onto the floor and ran like the Clappers only then to leap, rather impressively, about 3 metres up the trunk of the tree where the Hopper is fixed. Sitting down slowly, heartbeat racing, he disappeared from view and I resigned myself to the fact that I had lost him. About to pack up and go home I checked the tree thru the scope only to find Sinatra Squizzers head and part of his shoulder staring at me down the side of the trunk. The naughty thing is that I am not supposed to shoot unless the target is on the Hopper but this little pest had gone too far so, after taking careful aim and easing the trigger back, Sinatra and 16 grains of Air Arms finest lead finally met. Try as he might I very much doubt that ,without considerable coaching, Sinatra Squizzer would have ever produced such a wonderful sound as his head did at that moment. Silence at last and that's 5 now off the same Hopper and not a single survivor since switching to the .22....Happy Days :)

Out on the Squizzers today and 1pm found me sitting in the shade not 20 yards from the busiest Hopper on my "hit list". A txt this very morning (normally only get them on Fridays but heyho) informed me that the Hopper had been filled and the footplate duly smothered with Peanut butter and that several of the blighters were seen in the area. Within the first hour 2 Squizzers were no longer worried about what to buy each other for Christmas this year but as the second one fell I saw one that had come with him shoot up into the tree tops where, for the next 30 minutes or so, he sat cursing me. Try as I might I simply could not see him and moving would mean breaking cover and then facing the inevitable long wait till things calmed down again. After getting more and more annoyed at his verbal abuse I had to stand up for a while to relieve my rear end from the pain of sitting on a pound shop special fold up chair and as I did a movement caught my eye and, lo and behold, the Singing Squizzer was less than 10 feet away on a low branch still shouting away.

Now for the crazy bit - instead of going vertical and disappearing, the eejit jumped onto the floor and ran like the Clappers only then to leap, rather impressively, about 3 metres up the trunk of the tree where the Hopper is fixed. Sitting down slowly, heartbeat racing, he disappeared from view and I resigned myself to the fact that I had lost him. About to pack up and go home I checked the tree thru the scope only to find Sinatra Squizzers head and part of his shoulder staring at me down the side of the trunk. The naughty thing is that I am not supposed to shoot unless the target is on the Hopper but this little pest had gone too far so, after taking careful aim and easing the trigger back, Sinatra and 16 grains of Air Arms finest lead finally met. Try as he might I very much doubt that ,without considerable coaching, Sinatra Squizzer would have ever produced such a wonderful sound as his head did at that moment. Silence at last and that's 5 now off the same Hopper and not a single survivor since switching to the .22....Happy Days :)

'Sinatra and 16 grains of Air Arms finest lead finally met' hahaha.

Good job and .22 is the way to go on them.

Oh Bruno! You make me feel so homesick. I'd love a trip back to the shoot to enjoy what you are doing out there.

When I disturbed a squirrel and saw it run away invariably it would go up the far side of a tree. Sometimes I would send the dog out, past the tree while I waited quietly and sometimes I'd be lucky and the squirrel would come back round to my side of the tree to hide from the dog. But sometimes I couldn't do that for whatever reason and so I would just sit down with my back to a tree with a good unobstructed view of the tree I saw the squirrel disappear behind. They key was to use the scope to scan the crown of that tree. What often happened is that the squirrel would peep over the crown to see where I was. All I would see was the top of its head and one eye looking back at me.

I only found this out by accident. One day I was squabbing young rooks and disturbed a squirrel about 25 yds away. I then saw something glistening in the crown of the tree the squirrel had run to and on looking through my scope I saw the squirrel peeping over the crown looking back towards me. The glistening I had noticed were a few hairs on its tail blowing in the wind and shining in the sunshine.If that hadn't have happened I would be none the wiser and quite a few squirrels would have lived another day.

Sniping a squirrel in this way is challenging and extremely satisfying if successful. The target area is tiny, but usually still and you only get one shot.

Lots of ideas guys. I am planning to set up a couple of hit spots in two separate small woods using some of your ideas. One spot actually fits in perfectly with a high seat I have for rabbit and deer control. The other, by adding to and adjusting an old fence I can make a good hide position. I have two seats to make for deer/rabbit control so it will be ten days before I can get to it. I use the cheapy peanut butter as well and 17 mice out of my log store can't be wrong. Hope it works as well on the tree rats.

• 2 months later...

Quick update .... no's 26,27 & 28 fell to the Scorpion today in less than 20 minutes. Switched to my .177 AA S410 for a few weeks after the BSA started spitting the odd flyer out (nightmare if you've waited over an hour for a squizzer to appear) and I simply could not work out why but a new tin of AA Field and it's punching 5p size holes at 25 yards again. The guy in charge of shooting is happy so lookin good for next season, Rooks will be looking at their nests soon so some of the land will become unshootable as the noise they make is unreal. Best outing was 6 and drew a blank just the once, I have learned that, around here anyway, afternoons are best for plugging Nutty and that putting a dead one on the feeder seems to reassure any skittish ones nearby and give them the confidence to come to the feeder - fatal mistake. Still appears that the larger calibre is more suited to Nutty bashing - longest runner with the .177 was about 25 yards while the larger pellet has only seen one manage more than 2 or 3 yards before realising that he's dead - everyone has been headshot. So far I'm 4 in front of last years total on this perm with another couple of good months ahead - if I can get to 40 I'm going buy myself a new gun to celebrate....

Edited by bruno22rf

• 3 months later...

Last day today and finished with a total of 43 (24 last year) - season has gone so quickly and the score is well up on last year but illness cost me a couple of months last year - luck was on my side this season with only 2 weeks where I was out of action. Where I usually park is an area of grass that , just over a year ago, was often host to 6 or 7 squizzers but I have not seen one this year until today - as I quietly slipped from the woods today (with a heavy heart I must admit) I was congratulating myself on my visible success when Nutty ran straight past me, not 10 feet away :unhappy: . I was busy convincing myself that the cheeky chap was going to face a lonely summer when 2 more ran along the top of a fence by the side of the road as I drove away :no: .......

Man after my own heart Bruno, that is nice going. I might just be tempted to do a rough taxidermy job on the next one I shoot reading your comments about a 'decoy'. Might even fit it on a pigeon pecker for some movement :yes::good: Never considered decoying squirrels before but now the cover is closing in a bit it could work.

Had a similar occurrence a few weeks ago. Shot five and then things went very quiet, so moved to another wood. Realised I had left something at the first site, went back only to have six or seven skipping down the ride in front of me. Still work to be done obviously :)

Edited by Walker570

Happy Days , Ive done 43 in the last week. I love barbecued squizzers/ squizzer casserole , and so do most of my mates

now they've tried it.

Same here. :good:

Never tried eating them, how is it?

I've found them to be very similar to chicken, but a bit darker, at least in a slow cooker they look that colour.

Got to 40 a few weeks back ,Snoozer,and bought myself a shiny new RM8 but within days it was obvious that the weight was going to be a major problem ( I have medical issues that I wont bore you with) so the Walther now sits unloved in a corner. Bought a used S410 carbine with Walnut in .22 to match my classic in the baby calibre and could not be happier with it, 10 years old but a MK3 so I'm in love with her, no frills, no tacky accessories to tempt the unwary just quality bits married together like only Air Arms seem able to do (Tin Hat on) time and time again. Been thru some puffguns in my time but I honestly think these 2 will be with me till the end.

Yer the RM8 is the go to Gun at my local indoor target club but they are a tad heavy but thats no problem when your rested up on a stand.

I keep looking at a .22 (Daystate Wolverine2 C Type ) but i don't have Squizzers or the like on my menu just good ol trusty Pigeons so my .177 does the job :(

The chap i go shooting with uses a .22 AA and i can't believe how much lighter it is than my HW100S :unhappy:

Never shush on my account Mice - if you love the Rapid 7 and have had nothing but sterling service from it then you sing it's praises from the rooftops. One of the few Airguns that I have never heard being criticised but never had the pleasure of owning one.

Won't say love but then its the only one I have, used to shoot with a mate who got one after having Daystates, he sang its praises so after trying it I got one.

Been hardly used in last 8-10 years few rats and squirrels in peoples gardens but no problems that I can tell, I'm planning on putting a new silencer on her as I've never thought its as quiet as could be.

Didn't want to hijack your thread was all.

Loved this thread. Great reading. Never seen it before.

I spotted a grey last week near my favourite shooting permission. I look forward to seeing more of them. Funny thing is they are easily seen in the town where I live, but I can't get at those ones. I read some great accounts of squirrel shooting in the States with a 28 gauge flintlock. Check out the links below for that.

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/thrill.html

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/squirrel.html

My favourite shooting place.

farm.jpg

Cant believe my luck - txt Thursday to say that the guy that fills the Hoppers had filled them again in one of the woods by mistake and that I was welcome to "have a go" over the weekend :yahoo: . So Friday morning sees me on my way at 5:30 am to find the Hopper that I have decided looks most promising (100% take last 2 weeks) only to find that some idiot has been shooting cans and bottles all around the Hopper as well as drawing targets on several Tree trunks and filling the tree with pellets. With broken glass everywhere and such recent activity I called it a day and drove home then messaged the Grounds Manager to inform him of the vandalism. About 6 pm I had a message back to say that the area had been cleared and that several Squirrels were present while the work was being carried out. Left a bit later this morning and was in position by about 8 am. Took a while for everything to settle down but at about 8:45 the first hungry diner appeared - only to disappear again, in a flash, the moment I moved - note to self....these are skittish Squizzers :sad1: . By changing my position slightly and kneeling down I gave myself the advantage of seeing them a little earlier (the approach is via one single branch) and when the next opportunity came 10 minutes later I moved in slow motion and Nutty obliged me with a perfect head on feeding pose. Unfortunately for him he became the first of 4 in the next hour to realise that the Air Arms S410 (my "new" carbine .22) simply does not miss at 25 yards :no: . Dog Walking and Domestic chores beckoned so I had to leave way before I wanted to but I am so going back for round 2 tomorrow - already chomping at the Bit, Gun is charged, Mags packed and pellets at the ready - I have just put 3 pellets thru the same ragged hole in the garden so confidence is high.